Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 SLK 230
I am suddenly getting five high pitched beeps about five seconds after I turn the car off and take out the key. It seems to come from the glovebox.

Also, is there a quick fix to turn the "Check Engine" light off? I took the car to Checkers and they said there was no problem they could find, but the light has been on since I bought the car.

Thx!

·
Registered
2001 SLK230
47 Posts
Check Engine light is on to tell u there is deeper problems. Need a code reader to connect
to car to see what the codes are. On your car the connection for reader is up behid the handle to open the hood of the car-little door behid the handle can see it looking under steering wheel. Any Auto Zone store will read the codes for free after that u can fix the problems or take car to a good mechanic some place better than checkers. Not sure about the five beeps first thing is to fix problems holding check engine light on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
took it to checkers, which is like autoworld, and they used their tool to look for codes that might be triggering the check engine light, but there were none that they could find. there must be a manual way to turn off this light, like there is in almost any other car. help!

·
Registered
2001 SLK230
47 Posts
OBDll is on any car sold in the usa since 1996 as a way to talk to the computer. The check engine light is on because the computer sees a problem with your car-if the coder reader checkers used didn't show the codes only means it is not fully compatiable with your car. Majic words above- but there were none that they could find. AS far as manual way to turn this light off please inform us of it. Light goes off after all to code problems are fixed.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,853 Posts
If the CEL did light up, the codes should still be stored in memory. If it is still lit up, have it read at Autozone or Advance Auto. They can also clear the code with their scanner. You can also clear the code by disconnecting the negative cable of the battery for a few minutes. Keep in mind two things with this:
1. You are just getting rid of the code for the time being and not addressing the cause.
2. You will have to re-enter the radio code so have that on hand.

Beeping can be triggered by driving with the emergency/parking brake engaged. Other than that I do not know of another cause for the beeping. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230 240,xxx Miles
7,706 Posts
The "check engine" light could be something as simple as your gas cap is not tightened enough.
The beep can also be triggered by a fault in the roof mechanism.
Is it the same beep if you leave your keys in the ignition and open the drivers door?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts