Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ! I have just imported a 560SL 107 1989 from California to the UK - although originally a Florida car. Drove 6500 miles coast to coast almost trouble free ( alarm went off ! ).Anyway I am now preparing for the UK MOT and I need a rear fog lamp.
There is no wiring/bulb holder on the rear clusters so I am fitting a separate one below the rear bumper.It must only come on when the headlights are on dip /main beam.Not otherwise.Question - does anyone know an easy pick up point to run the power to the lamp via the head/dip beam ? Otherwise I shall have to spend a long time studying the wiring diagrams !
Thanks. Iain

·
Registered
420 Posts
It would be a lot easier to install a bulb holder onto the bracket of the standing rear lights (see pic) on both sides (21W bulbs) and run a wire from fuse 15 (fog lights fuse) under the sill plate to the trunk (boot) to the holders and provide the ground wire (earth) from adjacent ground wires or central metal strip on the clusters and they would come on when the front fog lights are switched on. This would be a neat and better alternative to drill the rear bumpers to install separate fog lights.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
It would be a lot easier to install a bulb holder onto the bracket of the standing rear lights (see pic) on both sides (21W bulbs) and run a wire from fuse 15 (fog lights fuse) under the sill plate to the trunk (boot) to the holders and provide the ground wire (earth) from adjacent ground wires or central metal strip on the clusters and they would come on when the front fog lights are switched on. This would be a neat and better alternative to drill the rear bumpers to install separate fog lights.

Will fuse #15 provide power when the headlights are off?

While I agree with your location idea, as I read the OP his rear fogs are allowed to illuminate only when the headlamps are on. To that end, power for the rear fogs will have to come from somewhere in the headlight circuit.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Will fuse #15 provide power when the headlights are off?

Well Dave, the answer is no as the front fog lights would only be available once the headlights are switched on, either standing lights or low/high beams. This is how it operates in European regulations (including UK). The rear fog lights should not come on when the headlamps are on but only when the fog lights are switched on, which will only operable once the headlights are on. When the headlights are on it opens the circuit to fuse 15 which then can be selected to operate fogs lights (front and rear).
On European models the location of the rear fog lamp is as per above pic but factory installation only provides for one rear fog light (right rear). If a left rear lamp is also desired then it can be installed as per above insts on the same location and wiring drawn from the right side. Hope it clears the notion.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

Well Dave, the answer is no as the front fog lights would only be available once the headlights are switched on, either standing lights or low/high beams. This is how it operates in European regulations (including UK).

Makes my concern a moot point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts