Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,463 Posts
Unless someone has another idea....I'm sorry to say, I think the trans is pooched. If it does turn out to be the gear selector assembly, that would be a first on this forum that I can remember. Adjusting them after taking them apart, yes, total failure I don't think I've ever seen other than the bushings. So I guess attack that first......

Kevin

·
Registered
W124
5,232 Posts
How much fluid is in the transmission? When was the last filter change? I would invest in new fluid and a filter before doing anything else.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
I thought he said he had it serviced but scrolling back, I see that he didn't say. I agree that would be a low tech resolution. However, I think he's having trouble finding a good mechanic.

Kevin

·
Registered
W124
5,232 Posts
6L , last time was two months ago
Then since you have a problem with the transmission, its time to do it again. If the fluid paths are clogged (especially at the filter) you won't get any fluid pressure. This is a $50 attempt to avoid a $3000 repair bill so its your choice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Then since you have a problem with the transmission, its time to do it again. If the fluid paths are clogged (especially at the filter) you won't get any fluid pressure. This is a $50 attempt to avoid a $3000 repair bill so its your choice.
I have checked the fluid paths and it is look good, also the trans pump too so there is no problem with the fluid pressure

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Unless someone has another idea....I'm sorry to say, I think the trans is pooched. If it does turn out to be the gear selector assembly, that would be a first on this forum that I can remember. Adjusting them after taking them apart, yes, total failure I don't think I've ever seen other than the bushings. So I guess attack that first......

Kevin
The gearbox needs to be fix, as the mechanic said.😓

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
The gearbox needs to be fix, as the mechanic said.😓
If that's the case, the car can be put up stands so that the wheels are off the ground and then using the linkage on the trans underneath, shift the car into drive @ idle. The rear wheels should turn @idle. And accelerating slightly they should spin faster. This would test the transmission itself without using the gear selector box; forcing it into gear. Be safe doing this!

Kevin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
that's the case, the car can be put up stands so that the wheels are off the ground and then using the linkage on the trans underneath, shift the car into drive @ idle. The rear wheels should turn @idle. And accelerating slightly they should spin faster. This would test the transmission itself without using the gear selector box; forcing it into gear. Be safe doing this!
🤔 I will ask the mechanic to do so...
Thx Kevin 😊

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
🤔 I will ask the mechanic to do so...
Thx Kevin 😊
It doesn't test, of course, if the trans is developing proper torque....but it ensures that your gear selector might be at fault.

Kevin

21 - 31 of 31 Posts