Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my E320 model 1995 and I stoped, When I returned back to the car to go for a drive again, the car will go into any gear including D but it won't move. It is like every single gear is neutral !

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,463 Posts
I was driving my E320 model 1995 and I stoped, When I returned back to the car to go for a drive again, the car will go into any gear including D but it won't move. It is like every single gear is neutral !
My guess is your transmission linkage became disconnected. I had this happen at a Walgreens store. I had to have the car towed home. A linkage pin retainer had come off.....easy enough to fix.

Kevin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess is your transmission linkage became disconnected. I had this happen at a Walgreens store. I had to have the car towed home. A linkage pin retainer had come off.....easy enough to fix.

Kevin
Thx Kevin, really appreciate your help. I will check

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Yes, but Kent is talking about rattle and slop. I think what you're describing is a complete disconnect of the linkage like I had. Once hooked back up with that special clip, then you can see if you have slop or rattle.

I bought Kent's bushing tool, but his bushings, even though he says otherwise, are much softer than OE.....don't trust them.

Kevin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I don’t have to remove the gear knot from the top and look there.
Just check the hooked from under

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Yeah....very limited space though under there...pretty tight. Even tighter with my 4Matics. I found it easier in my case to just unbolt the front linkage plate and work from there. YMMV

Kent just has it all apart and out of the car for illustration purposes. If you can find them, there's been pics posted of the linkage from under the car.

Kevin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It doesn’t solve the problem, also I brought a technician to check but nothing.... it seems that the gear box itself 😣
Thank you Kevin for your advice , really appreciate it

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
If it is the gearbox itself, that's rare.

You sure you didn't lose the trans pump itself.....(there would have been a puddle of trans oil on the ground)? How many miles on the car?

Kevin

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,495 Posts
No there no oil on the ground
Around 150,000 miles
150K miles is the average lifespan for the trans before it needs to be rebuilt. Some go a lot sooner, some later. You got your money's worth out of it.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
So to have trouble in the gear shift mech itself is rare as I said. My first reaction was the trans linkage itself under the car.

I guess you could transplant one form a JY. If it shifts, but doesn't catch any gears, there would be something obviously intuitive as you take the assembly apart. Sorry, just isn't a common problem to advise.

It could still be the trans itself....pump failure without leakage.....although they usually leak. Did the mechanic say he thought the trans itself was OK and why did he think that? As Steve said, you're at average mileage for trans failure although it usually starts with losing reverse.

Kevin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well... unfortunately, we can not relay on the mechanic, because it is too hard to find here, in my city, a professional mechanic who knows about Mercedes cars...
However, let’s see what gonna say

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,495 Posts
If you can't rely on a car mechanic to do his job, maybe he needs to switch careers? Just sayin'

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
I don't know how to help more.......at some point you have to have significant feedback from the owner/driver as to what exactly is happening.

If the gear selector notches into every gear and the linkage is completely connected, I can only think that the trans has failed...as in the trans pump.

If I'm reading this correctly, the trans makes no effort to inch forward or in reverse....whatever you select has no effect on car movement?

Kevin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes Kevin, there is no effect neither forward nor in reverse.
By the way, I’m the owner of the car, I bought it 6 yrs ago

1 - 20 of 31 Posts