Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 SL65
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some research (thanks to all of the links and suggestions on here) I just received my STAR C4 from MBStar Tool.

I was just wondering if there was a STAR for Dummies quick start guide?

The laptop turns on and I have been into some of the software but I have not connected any cables to the multiplexer or plugged it into my car as yet.
I order the preinstalled software on a Lenovo X220 Thinkpad laptop running Win7 Ultimate and 4GB RAM.
I know it warns you about doing any Windows updates and changing anything within the laptop so I haven't even connected to the wifi yet.
Matter of fact when I did a screenshot of the system specs and tried to save it to the desktop it wanted me to load a disk in Drive F:?
It eventually allowed me to save the screenshot file in the Documents folder.

I imagine I use the cable with the big round plug that fits the multiplexer and the ODB2 port for my car. It also has a network cable but I think this C4 can use wifi.

I have some ESP codes that I want to diagnose and turn off to see if they come back on again or not. (6210 and 6230).
Do I use DAS for this? I have read that Xentry is for cars 2013 and newer?
I also may use it to see if I can get Video in Motion tuned on.

What came in the box. Also has a nice storage case it came with and a laptop bag.

Laptop-Multiplexer-Cables.jpg

Screenshot of C4 software.

SDS screenshot.jpg

·
Registered
2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
444 Posts
Start with the LAN cable from PC to MUX, then cable from car OBD2 to MUX.

I don't recall the year of switch from SDS to Xentry, but my 2011 uses Xentry.
If I recall, you can start in Xentry and it will switch to SDS if it needs to (or vice versa).
Turn the car on to position 2, but not running. I prefer to have a charger hooked up to maintain voltage to the car battery.

Then run the "quick check", which will uncover 'f' for old faults, and 'F' for current faults.
Once you find faults, you can drill down to see what tests you need to run to find the culprit of the faults.
Some are obvious, others are not.

Attached are a couple documents I have that helped me learn the system.

Last but not least...use at your own risk! You may make your car a brick if used incorrectly.
I have yet to break anything using the SDS, but it is possible.
Best of luck on your new tool. It will pay for itself in no time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 S550, 1973 Avanti II, 2008 Silverado LTZ
841 Posts
Where did you order from? I am in the market for this and am hard pressed to get any recommendations!

·
Premium Member
2009 SL65
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where did you order from? I am in the market for this and am hard pressed to get any recommendations!
This is what they emailed me when I asked for a complete system with developer mode. Shipping to Miami,FL was and additional $20 and it arrived within 4-5 days. They say it takes 2-3 days to configure it all onto the laptop and I was surprised it came so fast afterwards.

Hi Chuck,
I recommend the following complete system
http://www.mbstartool.com/wholesale/mb-sd-connect-c4-with-ssd-plus-lenovol-x220-laptop-4gb.html
Best price of it is $620USD not including shipping.
Could you tell me your shipping address so I can check the shipping cost for you
Best regards,
Spencer - [email protected]
www.mbstartool.com
What's APP:+86 18030393369/+86 18750906153

·
Registered
2009 S550, 1973 Avanti II, 2008 Silverado LTZ
841 Posts
I did look at their website, along with about 20 others! I ended up buying one off eBay for $420 with just the hard drive since I already have the Dell laptop. I guess we will see how this goes. I'm sure there's a learning curve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts