Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1984 380SL
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was taking a late afternoon drive and rounded a corner only about a quarter mile from the house - a lady pulls out of a shopping center directly in front of me. First instinct outside of hitting brakes is to swerve - but another car from the oncoming lane was passing at the exact moment. :eek: Hit the brakes HARD. And although our sweet girl doesn't have ABS she was able to stop on a dime. Have to say I was truly impressed that such a tank could stop short like that.

The lady has to actually reverse back into shopping center to get out of my way and I move on. A second or so later it seems like I'm really pressing the accelerator hard and very little reaction from the car. Another second later I realize that I have no acceleration at all and my only option was to pull into a neighborhood and park (thankfully it was a gentle downhill slope so I was able to park without blocking any driveways).

I turn off the car and let her sit for a minute - crank her up and engine starts but flooring the accelerator does NOTHING. So mildly panicked I decide to call our brilliant indie Jono at Blue Ridge MB - not expecting an answer on Sunday afternoon at 5:15pm. Being the workaholic he is he answers - whew! So thankful we live so close to his shop because he dropped what he was doing and came out to check on the car right where I was!! :D You simply can't ask for more impressive service and I was so thankful for the rescue :bowdown:.

Turns out (my interpretation of technical auto terms) that the little plastic ball thingy that connects the throttle had popped off when I hit the brakes. Jono was able to rig it enough to drive her back to his shop (poor me had to follow in his AMG wagon :D:cool:). We will be replacing the tired motor mounts the minimize all the engine movement that caused this issue as well as the fan hitting the shroud on cold startups.

If Jono wasn't so close I'm not sure I'd continue on this 107 road....these old parts require so much maintenance. Thankful he's around and can keep us on the road because this car is still so much fun to own.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,361 Posts
So I was taking a late afternoon drive and rounded a corner only about a quarter mile from the house - a lady pulls out of a shopping center directly in front of me. First instinct outside of hitting brakes is to swerve - but another car from the oncoming lane was passing at the exact moment. :eek: Hit the brakes HARD. And although our sweet girl doesn't have ABS she was able to stop on a dime. Have to say I was truly impressed that such a tank could stop short like that.

The lady has to actually reverse back into shopping center to get out of my way and I move on. A second or so later it seems like I'm really pressing the accelerator hard and very little reaction from the car. Another second later I realize that I have no acceleration at all and my only option was to pull into a neighborhood and park (thankfully it was a gentle downhill slope so I was able to park without blocking any driveways).

I turn off the car and let her sit for a minute - crank her up and engine starts but flooring the accelerator does NOTHING. So mildly panicked I decide to call our brilliant indie Jono at Blue Ridge MB - not expecting an answer on Sunday afternoon at 5:15pm. Being the workaholic he is he answers - whew! So thankful we live so close to his shop because he dropped what he was doing and came out to check on the car right where I was!! :D You simply can't ask for more impressive service and I was so thankful for the rescue :bowdown:.

Turns out (my interpretation of technical auto terms) that the little plastic ball thingy that connects the throttle had popped off when I hit the brakes. Jono was able to rig it enough to drive her back to his shop (poor me had to follow in his AMG wagon :D:cool:). We will be replacing the tired motor mounts the minimize all the engine movement that caused this issue as well as the fan hitting the shroud on cold startups.

If Jono wasn't so close I'm not sure I'd continue on this 107 road....these old parts require so much maintenance. Thankful he's around and can keep us on the road because this car is still so much fun to own.
That is unbelievable service and very impressive.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,329 Posts
That happened to me one mornng, I had to idle forward to reach a stopping place then jury-rig it to get home. It sure is an odd feeling when you press the gas and NOTHING AT ALL happens!

·
Registered
'88 560SL, '95 E300 Diesel
70 Posts
Jono is awesome! I'm so glad he was able to help you out...and I'm glad you're going to stick with the 107. Such a great car!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts