Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum & would like to pose a few questions about the G-class and buying one. I hope this kind of note isn't frowned on & i will search the forum as time allows.

I got a test-drive in a used G a few months back, and had mixed feelings, but have had a chance recently to drive/ride in a newer model (friends truck) and have enjoyed the experience.

My first question relates to new-vs-used Gs. Is buying a used G asking for trouble? (The way buying an H1 hummer can be and so forth). On the logic that i might be buying into a mess with a used machine, i have been leaning towards a new one through the local 'benz dealer.

And my second question is if any of you folks take your machines offroad regularly? Are you happy with the behavior of the big 'benz on the trails? I have another truck that i take offroad when time allows.

Along with that, if i bought a new G to avoid the potential hassel of repairs & repair costs, how does Mercedes handle the warranty? If the local dealer knew i took it out on some trails, would they take that in stride? I am stopping by today to talk to them, but in general customer experience means more to me than dealer comments.

And last - buying. The dealer nearest me has never had a G-class on the lot, or serviced them (per convo with the salesman), should that be a warning sign to travel a ways to purchase? Are the G's extremely hard to attain, or is it just a fairly simple purchasing process?

Do you any of you guys get together to do some 'wheeling from time to time?

thanks,

G

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,203 Posts
I have a pre-USA G-Wagon. Mine was imported by Europa, and MBUSA does not truly recognize it. I personally do most of the work on my G-Wagon, and I have several local shops that can work on them pretty easily. Fortunatly, as long as I have the part numbers, my local dealership can get the parts. For everything else, I use Sean & Steve at EuroTruck in GA.

I use my G-Wagon on and off-road as much as I can. Last year, I drove my G320 40,000 miles. Since then I have tried to cut back a little and drive my car for work.

The majority of the G-Wagons that you will find will be MBUSA G500's. Except for some of the electrical gremlins that the 2002 model had, they are pretty good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Braingears said:
I have a pre-USA G-Wagon. Mine was imported by Europa, and MBUSA does not truly recognize it. I personally do most of the work on my G-Wagon, and I have several local shops that can work on them pretty easily. Fortunatly, as long as I have the part numbers, my local dealership can get the parts. For everything else, I use Sean & Steve at EuroTruck in GA.

I use my G-Wagon on and off-road as much as I can. Last year, I drove my G320 40,000 miles. Since then I have tried to cut back a little and drive my car for work.

The majority of the G-Wagons that you will find will be MBUSA G500's. Except for some of the electrical gremlins that the 2002 model had, they are pretty good.
well, 40k miles is alot more than i'd plan to put on one, so that's promising.

thanks for the thoughts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
you need to decided if you want a pre usa model 01 back or usa model 02 up... I would skip 02 all together.

Next a used G is nothing to worry about. Just make sure you get a print out of the dealer history. Some where known for electrical problems. They all have door lock, door handle issues. but if i was guessing id say most of them have broken and been replaced with the updated parts.

A G like the dog that never listens to you... Its the car you love to hate.

If you compairing it to a H1, its a totally differnt animal. its a lot more refined, and smaller than a h1, but it gets better milage and it a LOT faster and easier to drive daily. Not to mention you dont freez or burnup and you can hear the other person talking.

You need to take time and test drive one... if your in the market for a new one wait until the 07 are out. Probably not a huge price increase and they are planning ona lot of updated things.

·
Registered
G 500 06 / 300 GE Cab 91 / 300D 83 Turbo/ 300GD 1980
1,318 Posts
Kerr said:
you need to decided if you want a pre usa model 01 back or usa model 02 up... I would skip 02 all together.

Next a used G is nothing to worry about. Just make sure you get a print out of the dealer history. Some where known for electrical problems. They all have door lock, door handle issues. but if i was guessing id say most of them have broken and been replaced with the updated parts.

A G like the dog that never listens to you... Its the car you love to hate.

If you compairing it to a H1, its a totally differnt animal. its a lot more refined, and smaller than a h1, but it gets better milage and it a LOT faster and easier to drive daily. Not to mention you dont freez or burnup and you can hear the other person talking.

You need to take time and test drive one... if your in the market for a new one wait until the 07 are out. Probably not a huge price increase and they are planning ona lot of updated things.
Hi Kerr let me understand something. If you bring you truck in a mercedes dealer they dont work on it?

I bring my GE 300/92 in a guy that worked years for mercedes , and now has his own mercedes mechanic company.Its less expensive and more personal , he has EPC and import all original parts.

My G500/06 i bring at the mercedes dealer , because the garantee , but if i want i can bring the 92 too. The only thing is that new mechanics do not understand well 103 model engine...Thats it...

Attachments

·
Registered
Several G-class
13 Posts
As for how long do they last, one of mine i have had sine 1984, done 650,000 miles on the same engine. thats the 300GD. my 280GE i have had for 3 years now & that is on 350,000 built in 1986.
Off road, in my mind, they are phenominal! if you are stuck in one, then wait for the summer to come & the ground dries out then you can dig it out with a JCB!
The older ones have the advantage of being simple & easy for most competant DIY mechanics to sort out. the later models however have more electricals to go wrong with the hefty price tag to get "the proffesionals" to sort it out.
Finaly, if you want a 4x4 that will sit on the motorway for hours on end at 100mph & return 40MPG, dont buy a G-wagen!
www.g-classcentre.co.uk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts