Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 320SLK
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it only took me a little over a month after buying the SLK to get a speeding ticket. Had always thought the cops in NC were a little more circumspect than in some other states, but guess I was wrong about that--as in many other things. Was only doing 70 (he says) in a 55 zone on a perfectly clear day on a 4 lane divided highway with no traffic. That was another of the nice aspects of all those years living in Germany--you would never have had to worry about something like this. The police there saved their efforts for more important things.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Hey Bob !
I never got a ticket during my 4 years in Germany, and I travelled at some high speeds there too. I'm very carefull now in England, especially as the cops mai duty is to catch speeding drivers and fine them large amounts of money.
In my view, its actually more dangerous with cameras everywhere. There is a particular road in London (A406 North Circular) that has half a dozen cameras along it. Speed limit varies between 40 and 50 mph, but of course everyone breaks that and just watches out for the cameras. As soon as they see one they jump on the brakes, then speed up again after the camera. The amount of accidents that are almost caused by people watching for cameras and not what they are doing, and the sudden braking is quite alarming ! raod safety, my A**

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Hey Bob !
I never got a ticket during my 4 years in Germany, and I travelled at some high speeds there too. I'm very carefull now in England, especially as the cops mai duty is to catch speeding drivers and fine them large amounts of money.
In my view, its actually more dangerous with cameras everywhere. There is a particular road in London (A406 North Circular) that has half a dozen cameras along it. Speed limit varies between 40 and 50 mph, but of course everyone breaks that and just watches out for the cameras. As soon as they see one they jump on the brakes, then speed up again after the camera. The amount of accidents that are almost caused by people watching for cameras and not what they are doing, and the sudden braking is quite alarming ! road safety, my A**

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
I don't know about now but in the 70's NC had a Zero tolerance to above 55mph.
I had my Porsche one week when I got a ticket for 71 in a 55 zone. One mile over the limit that I could pay by mail. I was on active duty in SC and had a secrity clearence so I did not need it to bite me. The State Trooper was on an overpass about 11:30 pm when I blew under him on the interstate at about 130mph. By the time he caught up to me I had dropped my speed.
Anyway I had to go to traffic court. The lady in front of me befor the judge tried to explalin her husband put larger size tires on their truck and the spedo was slightly off. The judge found her guilty of driving 56mph in a 55 zone. I just plead guilty. My fine was less than if I coluld have paid it by mail (weird). The judge told me he did not want me in his state (NC) again. Ok by me.... [8D]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
I don't know about now but in the 70's NC had a Zero tolerance to above 55mph.
I had my Porsche one week when I got a ticket for 71 in a 55 zone. One mile over the limit that I could pay by mail. I was on active duty in SC and had a secrity clearence so I did not need it to bite me. The State Trooper was on an overpass about 11:30 pm when I blew under him on the interstate at about 130mph. By the time he caught up to me I had dropped my speed.
Anyway I had to go to traffic court. The lady in front of me befor the judge tried to explalin her husband put larger size tires on their truck and the spedo was slightly off. The judge found her guilty of driving 56mph in a 55 zone. I just plead guilty. My fine was less than if I coluld have paid it by mail (weird). The judge told me he did not want me in his state (NC) again. Ok by me.... [8D]

·
Registered
SLK 230 yellow
200 Posts
Hey Bob...I can share your misery. The very first night I drove the SLK from Lake Gaston back to Raleigh (Travelling on US 1 near Henderson) I too got pulled over and was ticketed for 79 in a 55. The officer was very polite and kept asking me why I was traveling so fast. I gave no excuse and was summoned. Had to get an atty to get it cleared. Where did you get yours?[:D]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts