Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there meant to be an A service at 1000 miles? Or at 1500 miles? There is no mention of it in the service book and the garage didnt mention it either, but I was expecting it.
What servicing is required in addition to that indicated by the Assyst on the car?

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
In the US Maintenance book, it calls for a courtesy service check between 1000 and 3000 miles to check things (also public relations with the service folks)...[:D][8D][:D]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Motzkoman - 3/12/2005 8:49 AM

In the US Maintenance book, it calls for a courtesy service check between 1000 and 3000 miles to check things (also public relations with the service folks)...[:D][8D][:D]
Yes, in USA no "A" service until 13,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
slk350 on 9/29/04
114 Posts
The service is just really a not much at all.
I had them do an oil change, and it cost me $175.oo.
But I always felt a new car should have an oil change around that time.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
smoothcoat - 3/12/2005 12:28 PM

The service is just really a not much at all.
I had them do an oil change, and it cost me $175.oo.
But I always felt a new car should have an oil change around that time.
You had them do the oil change at how many miles? 1000, 3000, 13000?

·
Registered
SLK 55
44 Posts
My salesperson told me to bring mine in at 1000 miles for a free checkup. I made my appointment, but I had to go out of town unexpectedly on business so I had someone else take the car in for me which was probably a mistake...

The service person read the mileage as 13,000 instead of 1,300 and got upset because he thought I was neglecting the car since I hadn't even had the oil changed once. He then performed a full "A" service which resulted in a charge that my friend wasn't expecting.

Afterwards my friend called me up, and I told her to take the car back and explain that a mistake was made. Once the dealer realized what they had done, the charge was refunded and the proper butt kissing ensued. I actually made out pretty well since the oil was changed for free, and I was given a future free oil change for the trouble.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
MadMaxBronze - 3/12/2005 5:11 PM

The service person read the mileage as 13,000 instead of 1,300 and got upset because he thought I was neglecting the car since I hadn't even had the oil changed once.
I must be missing something. The manual stresses that with the new synthetic oil that Mercedes is using the oil should only be changed at the same time as the "A" or "B" service. After reading these posts I called my dealer's service department and they said that you are wasting your money to change the oil more often. The synthetic oil is different and really only needs to be changed with regular service.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
For those of us that are obsessed with our cars, an extra oil change in the 3,000 range will help us sleep better at night.

·
Registered
SLK 55
44 Posts
I called my dealer's service department and they said that you are wasting your money to change the oil more often.
My dealer said the same thing, and I wasn't planning to get the oil changed until much later. The only reason this guy changed the oil was because he thought the car had 13k miles on it.

So what exactly are they doing for the 1k service? Just checking for loose nuts and bolts?
Pretty much. Things checked include tire pressure, fluids, lights, wipers, roof operation, etc. It's more or less an inspection rather than a true service.

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
I think the 1K visit to the dealer is great it is a time that you can get small niggles fixed and touch base with the service department, my last 8 cars have all been first service around 15K or 2 years.

gary

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
socalapproach - 3/12/2005 6:52 PM

So what exactly are they doing for the 1k service? Just checking for loose nuts and bolts?
It is an introduction to the service department and to get anything corrected that you have found in the first 1000 - 3000 miles.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Duo-Art - 3/12/2005 6:53 PM

For those of us that are obsessed with our cars, an extra oil change in the 3,000 range will help us sleep better at night.
I will sleep better knowing I haven't spent $175 or more on something that wasn't needed[8D]

·
Registered
slk350 on 9/29/04
114 Posts
Sorry for delay,, I got the service done at about 3000miles. And the reason to get an oil change the first few thousand miles is, That when the car is being made there can be metal flake in the engine and this just flushes and of that possibility out.
atleast that's what my dad says! so in order to shut him up, it's done!

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
My dealer told me the "Official M/B" recommendation then added, "but if it were my car, I'd change the oil after the first 3,000 miles. You should see what comes out of the oil filter after break in".

·
Registered
S280 SLK350 A200
132 Posts
I was told no service needed until Assyst says so; therefore no routine service at 1000 miles.
Rusper

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I'm coming up on 5000km's soon. I might bring it in to have the oil changed, just in case. Won't do any harm, now will it *shrug*

But yeah, Even here it's like 13 or 15 thousand km's for the first service (which I'll reach sometime mid next year I guess).

During your first 1000km's, it's a good idea to go through your car, head to toe. If there's any problems, your dealer should look at it asap. Things can only go worse if you wait too long, besides the dealer might consider it something that 'broke' through neglect if you let it rest until your first real service.

So far, my car has been problem free [:D] So I'm pretty chuffed!

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its hard to get my head round this but Rusper is right for UK cars: I called the garage and no service required until Assyst says so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts