Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took delivery of my SLK350 about two weeks ago I noticed that putting the MT into gear (particularly first and reverse) was difficult. I thought it just needed a little break-in. Yesterday, however, I could not get it into reverse without grinding the gear. I also noticed that with the clutch fully depressed, the car was moving backwards; not a good sign. I called the service department immediately and made an appointment for today. The over-the-phone diagnosis was that there might be air in the hydraulics.

I had my son push me out of the garage this morning so as to avoid grinding into reverse again. My baby is at the dealer today after just 394 miles on the clock to check out this problem.

Anybody else with the 6MT have this problem?

The loaner is a C230 Kompressor.

I'll update this thread once I get a verdict from the service advisor. This car is such a blast to drive I can't wait to see how much better it is with the tranny working properly.

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
Air in the line is one possibility. Another is low pressure. Good luck, I just got my car back yesterday and have been having a blast since.

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Silver-

You were correct.

Just got a call from the dealer. The problem is an internal leak in the master cylinder for the clutch so that the hydraulic pressure is too low. The part should be here tomorrow and hopefully the repair made as well. I guess it is another 24 hours in the C230

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
Good news is its an easily rectifiable problem.
Bad news is you are without an SLK for another 24 hours... hang in there!

By the way, what do you think of the kompressor sedan? Or did you get the coupe?

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Kompressor is a sedan. In the comfort mode it seemed a bit slow off the mark, I'll try the sport mode on the way home. I actually found the ride rougher (bouncy) than my SLK with the sport suspenssion. Also, I could not find a comfortable seat position. I like an upright driving position with my arms extended.

I don't think I would buy one. I think I would go for a 325i if I wanted an entry-level sedan.

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
sorry about your luck with the master cyl.
i've got a 6 speed with no issues , so far.
if you are considering entry level sedans, try the new audi a4 quattro , with 200hp , six speed , power seats and sunroof lists around $31,000, out the door 29K. we're on our third audi and if you only hold onto them for the duration of the warranty they're not too bad for overall cost of use.

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree that the A4 is probably a good choice. As a young adult I had an Audi Fox. It was the first car I ever purchased new. It was a fantastic drive for the first 18 months. It then literally started falling apart. Every other week something new went wrong. A tire even blew out because of a defect in one rim. The car was the benchmak for poor quality. It was like VW/Audi was trying to outdo Chevrolet and Ford in this category. What a major pile of junk! I know that Audi has gone through several transformations since then and all for the better. I like the A4, but as they say, once burned....

Whew! glad I got that off my chest. Maybe I'll check out the A4 when my wife wants some new wheels.

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE

Just got a call from the dealer vis-à-vis my clutch master cylinder replacement. The part arrived today and they are working on it now. However, it is unlikely the job will be completed today since they "have serviced so few of these they are going real slow". It's a disappointment; not with the service folks, but with MB that such a crucial part would fail after 394 miles. I hope that this situation is a few sigma out on the Bell curve and will not be repeated.

Guess I get to "enjoy" the C230 Kompressor for another day. The car is growing on me (I finally figured out how to get a reasonable seat position) but it is really underpowered, first step on the throttle and it says 4-banger. My '87 Honda Accord had a smoother four that this sedan.

·
Registered
SLK 350
87 Posts
It looks as if my car's first problem could be the same as rickboy's. At least the symptoms are similar. Today I had to spend about 40 minutes to get through 2 miles of queue caused by a broken-down van. Later in the journey I found changing gear unexpectedly difficult.

I called my dealer, but they couldn't look at it before xmas. As I will be away for 2 weeks straight after xmas, I thought better to have the car safely in my garage than left with the dealer for an extended period. It's booked to be looked at when I get back - assuming it will be driveable then - the problem seemed to be getting worse on my journey home today. Otherwise I may be trying out the M-B breakdown recovery when I get back from holiday[:0].

·
Registered
SLK350, CBR1000RR
367 Posts
Can I chuck in my $.02 and say that I think mine is a bit of a pig to get into reverse, certainly not as easy as i would like and expect. Forward gears are fine (so far!)

·
Registered
SLK 350+ GSD350 CONV
102 Posts
I had the same master cylinder problem after 500 miles with mine: Bad batch of seals or something.

Had 10 days with a loan car but managed to get a date with the foxy female receptionist.... which was nice.
[}:)]

cue jokes about: deploying her twin airbags, slipping clutch, polishing bodywork.....

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
ukblueyes - 12/23/2005 7:00 AM

I had the same master cylinder problem after 500 miles with mine: Bad batch of seals or something.

Had 10 days with a loan car but managed to get a date with the foxy female receptionist.... which was nice.
[}:)]

cue jokes about: deploying her twin airbags, slipping clutch, polishing bodywork.....
Thanks for the laugh mate!
Cheers and good luck! [;)]

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
RE: UPDATE

rickboy - 2/17/2005 2:27 PM

Just got a call from the dealer vis-à-vis my clutch master cylinder replacement. The part arrived today and they are working on it now. However, it is unlikely the job will be completed today since they "have serviced so few of these they are going real slow". It's a disappointment; not with the service folks, but with MB that such a crucial part would fail after 394 miles. I hope that this situation is a few sigma out on the Bell curve and will not be repeated.
Very few company of any kind do incoming inspection on parts anymore. They rely on vendors to do that. With so few manual gear boxes for Benz, their purchasing and negotiating power with vendors may be very weak. Don't think they would pay the vendors more for the parts either. This the fact of life in buying a low production Qty car. Six sigma only works when you have volume. Without volume, any defect blows it out of the water. With the 6 speed gear box, it is going for the minority share of a low volume car. The hydralic cylinder is a very mature technology. The only reason these would have defects is likely due to cost cutting measures.

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You may be correct. However at ca 3500 miles, I had the same problem, again. This time the dealer said the throw-out bearing was DOA, and that was probaly the cause of the original problem. I now have 5K miles on the car and the 6MT has been a great since the second fix.

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You may be correct. However at ca 3500 miles I had exactly the same problem again. This time they went in to see what the trouble was and found that the throw-out bearing was trashed. The original problem was probably due to a bad bearing causing a failure of the master cylinder; Or so I was told. Your point is well taken.

After the last fix the 6MT has been fantastic. Not quite in the league with the S2000 but better than any other I have driven, and in my view, a lot more fun that the 7G.

Rickboy

·
Registered
SLK 350
87 Posts
My car went in 2 days ago and I just got it back. It wasn't the master cylinder seal either - so I had jumped to the wrong conclusion. From the previous posts in this thread it seems like there are a few things that can go wrong in SLKs making it impossible to fully disengage the clutch. In my case, they changed the flywheel - it had developed some significant play. They weren't sure what had happened internally in the flywheel, so I can't shed any light on whether it's likely to happen again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts