Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'99 R170, ('04 W203 SOLD)
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my '04 C230 Sport in for "A" service three weeks ago and all has been fine since until today. I was driving and then the engine oil high level warning came on then a few seconds later the engine started missing, check engine light came on and could not drive over 20 miles an hour. Got the car back home and will get it to the dealer first thing in the morning, somehow!
Anyone else ever have this problem? I would think if there was to much oil put in it would have showed up on the warning sooner than three weeks. The car has been problem free for a year, I hope this is not the start of something.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I took the car in and they indead put to much oil in. The check light was the result of # 2 cylinder misfire so all the plugs were changed. All back to normal
The dealer took great care of me as always

·
Registered
2003 c240
60 Posts
OMG! too much oil? Nothing else happened? Does the car feel any different? And how in the world did that happen, at wat dealer?

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
no dip stick...thats one item that is going on my follow up sheet to Mercedes-Benz when i get it...

its basic weekly maintained to check these things (oil/coolant/water/etc)and to give us no dipstick - use the computer it (owners manual/dealer) says...but then you are using a sensor.

oh well - i had to rant.

ps - have you seen our cats? at NAIAS they had one (similar) cut open - pretty tight in there...
jake

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like nothing else happened, the car seems to run fine. The dealer ran it through diagnostics and there was nothing but the misfire on # 2 cylinder.
I have never had a problem with the dealer in the past, I guess mistakes happen.

·
Registered
03 c230 k
92 Posts
This must be a common thing because after my first service a while back i had the oil level too high come up. The dealer fixed it be removing some oil go figure. after that no other problems execpt existing ones like sunroof not closing all the way with the one touch, regulators int eh windows making loud clicking noises, one touch not working on windows sometimes.

·
Registered
AMG C32
85 Posts
Dealer put too much oil in my engine as well but i took it back the next day where they immediaitely removed the excess oil. You can buy a dipstick for the car as i was told by my service mananger and I have seen them use it.

My sunroof was not closing on the one touch fixture.
Third time in for that. They replaced the motor and switch module but it still would not close w/ one touch.Anyways they called this dude over with a can of some greasy stuff and he coated the sunroof tracks and it works flawlessly now

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Overfilling during an oil change is not uncommon for any make of car or dealer. They often use those guns which can be set for the amount to be dispensed. These are often in accurate. But they go by these and often don't use the dip stick.

MB dealers use a generic, one size fits all, dipstick. It is marked in millimeters, and the techs have a chart to tell them the proper level for each car. But, sometimes they trust the dispensing gun.

Also they do make mistakes. I know of one C230k that had 16 quarts put into it during a change. One tech started and was almost finished when he was called to do a more technical job. A newer tech was told to finish the oil change. Since the car was up on the lift, he assumed that the oil had just been drained and lowered the car in put in 8 quarts. The first tech had already put in 8 quarts and had raised the car to check for leaks and other service A items. The car didn't make it off the lot before it started belching enormous amounts of smoke.

AFIK, there is no dipstick for the 1.8, just the shop one size fits all stick which can't be left in the engine.

·
Registered
03 c230 k
92 Posts
For moosejaw,
If you still have problems that come back with the sunroof this is what my dealer did. Apparently the e class had a problem with this problem and benz came up with a code fix that was entered into the cars computer, they applied this to my car havent had the probelm since also check the alignment of the sunroof and make sure its not crooked. Look at the wear on the gasket see if one side differs from the other.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RE: First problem Update

I had to take the car back today for the engine misses and check engine light again. The dealer determined that the # 2 coil had to be replaced. So that was done and I hope that was it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back for the third time

Well the car went back again for the same problem, engine misses. Now they will keep it for a few days until they find it. This is not a good sign, every two weeks back to the dealer. I will let you know what they find this time.[:(]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update, not good news

Well the car is still at the dealer scince Friday and they do not know why it has an intermitant miss on # 2 cylinder. So now they will have someone come in from Mercedes and they tell me the worst case they will replace the head. The car has 6500 miles on it and now this.[:(!] Hopefully that will not have to be done but right now they do not have a clue to whats wrong.
Has anyone else have a problem with an engine miss?
In the mean time I have a '05 240 C Class as a loaner.
I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it has been a week and I got my car back today. After all the checking they did they determined it was the MAS. I hope this cures it. We will see in two weeks, because thats the time it always took for the problem to show up.
FYI - I got the car back cleaned and a full tank of gas which was nice of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I understand that you placed this post a year ago, but did replacing the MAS fix your problem with the misfire? From what I have seen, I have the same problem with my 2003 c230 Kompressor coupe. I have replaced the ignition coils; spark plugs and have ran a few tanks of gas containing fuel injector/fuel system cleaner through the car as well. No change. I get an occasional misfire in cylinder 2 that often magically clears up after I turn the car off and back on (and quickly drive away after turning the car on).

Does anyone have some helpful advice? I fail to see how a faulty Mass Airflow Sensor can result in a misfire in a single cylinder. I would expect a misfire to occur in random cylinders. Can anyone explain this procedure to me?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer me.

·
Registered
04 C230 Kompressor
335 Posts
RE: Update, not good news

wallyc - 2/22/2005 6:29 PM

Well the car is still at the dealer scince Friday and they do not know why it has an intermitant miss on # 2 cylinder. So now they will have someone come in from Mercedes and they tell me the worst case they will replace the head. The car has 6500 miles on it and now this.[:(!] Hopefully that will not have to be done but right now they do not have a clue to whats wrong.
Has anyone else have a problem with an engine miss?
In the mean time I have a '05 240 C Class as a loaner.
I will keep you posted.
I'm puzzled why an 04 that has 6500 miles on the clock is going in for an "A" service. Am I missing something here?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts