Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Diamond SilverSLK200
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed 1250km (just under 800 miles) when I got the letters "SRS" in red light-up next to the rev counter and my first warning flashing up saying "Restraint System Malfunction. Drive to your Service Centre". Great! Wasn't too impressed as the time was 11.45pm on Friday night and my dealer is closed at weekends! In addition Monday was a local Andalucian public holiday (they like those things here!) so...minimum three days to kill before problem sorted!

Bright and early next morning I rang the Spanish Mercedes Benz 24-hour freefone number and got a very helpful response from the girl I spoke to. She first of all checked with a technician and confirmed that the malfunction was not a critical one and that I could continue to drive, then rang back and pinpointed the route to the nearest available dealer to me, with highway numbers, urbanisation and street names and the dealer name and telephone number - all done with grace, humour and helpfulness - and in English!

Since the nearest dealer was over 50km away and I had less than 40 minutes to find it because of a diary clash, I left it until today to visit my own dealer in Marbella. They quickly diagnosed what the problem was - a faulty air-bag sensor - and immediately ordered a replacement sensor. They will call me for the repair as soon as it arrives.

In the meantime I am driving gingerly, well aware that any huge impact (like from the side with a bus or truck) will not activate the airbags! Funny how quickly you get used to the protection of advanced safety features! I feel naked without them.

This has been a relatively minor problem and should prove simple to remedy, but FULL MARKS to Mercedes Benz for dealing with it (so far) in the manner a customer would expect - quickly, efficiently and courteously. Hopefully any future problems will be dealt with in the same customer-orientated manner.

Scott [:)]

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Glad to see that you're taking the problem in stride. Considering how complicated modern cars are, I'd be surprised if there wasn't an occasional glitch. How the dealership responds has a lot to do with how severe the problem can seem. Obviously, you have a good dealer.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts
I would have insisted on a MB loaner car until the safety issue is solved.

·
Registered
Diamond SilverSLK200
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: I would have insisted on a MB loaner car until the safety issue is solved.

fredfromny - 3/3/2005 11:29 PM

Hi Fred,

That would be a good option, but this being Spain, and bearing in mind I couldn't even test-drive the SLK before ordering it, the only loaner I would have got would have been one of their two A-Class vehicles... a bit of a no-brainer to stay with the SLK under these circumstances!

Once they've got a few SLR's sitting around I will move heaven and earth to persuade them to loan me one! [:D]

Scott

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts
In that case the SLK is the only way to fly!

Here in the states they would have kept the car due to ambulance chasing lawyers.

Please be careful driving and best of luck with your car!
Cheers.

·
Registered
Diamond SilverSLK200
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE: In that case the SLK is the only way to fly!

fredfromny - 3/3/2005 5:38 PM

Here in the states they would have kept the car due to ambulance chasing lawyers.

Please be careful driving and best of luck with your car!
Cheers.
They certainly do come up with some good (consumer protection?) laws in the U.S. Perhaps we'll catch-up here in Euroland one day.

As a matter of interest, do you think that, in order to comply with the U.S. laws, the additional costs of providing replacement cars are factored in to the purchase prices of U.S. MB's? It would be interesting to know. Perhaps dealers worldwide adopt this practice irrespective of an individual country's laws?

Scott

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts
competitive climate here...

Loaners are expected (thanks to Lexus) and because the US amounts to 50% of worldwide sales the pricing is very competetive as well.

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
RE: competitive climate here...

fredfromny - 3/3/2005 12:46 PM

Loaners are expected (thanks to Lexus) and because the US amounts to 50% of worldwide sales the pricing is very competetive as well.
I have to agree with the post above. Competition has forced Benz to step up - and it has. Never have had one complaint with the service department at our dealer (Devon) and our family's been buying and servicing their cars with them since 1982.[;)]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts