Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
@260e crusier You're gonna end up convincing me to do all my own work, methinks 馃榿
This is all we do here.
Even you might have good indy mechanic, just in another section a member reported that oil changer crack upper oil pan. They cover the engine pulling for the repair,, but question is what else might happen with those people.

Registered
Of course they can run on dino oils just don't pay attention to the FSS and change your oil/filter much sooner. But from a shop's point of view I can see them putting in dino oil at the customer's request then in 13,000 miles havinkg an irate customer come back
You still don't understand. FSS was design for dino oils.
Once again, our 1998 ML320 was running on dino oils for few years with 13k intervals, while pulling 5000 lb trailers.
Since it become the most reliable MB ever, you can only wonder if we can "blame" dino oil for that?

Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
Thanks for the all the advice guys. And also sorry to bring up the whole "oil" debate once again, totally not my intention :)

The part callout for the filter is M8153. No idea what that actually was, and I've never heard of a fleece filter before. I'll probably run it to 5k and change it myself anyway.

@260e crusier You're gonna end up convincing me to do all my own work, methinks 馃榿
Fleece filters are made out of a polyester material. They are usually white in color and are designed for high mileage (10K+) oil change intervals when used with a high quality synthetic oil.

Paper filters should be changed around 5K miles if using the maintenance minder.

Registered
This is all we do here.
Even you might have good indy mechanic, just in another section a member reported that oil changer crack upper oil pan. They cover the engine pulling for the repair,, but question is what else might happen with those people.
I personally know of two cases where they didn't tighten the drain plug afterward which resulted in massive loss of oil. Luckily both were caught in time and no engine damage resulted.

Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Get yourself an oil suction pump, 2 jugs of Mobil 1 from Walmart (wait for the Mobil Rebate at $12 per gallon jug), and a $8 fleece filter. You do not even need to get under the car. It costs me less than $40 for Mobil 1 + fleece filter change).

Registered
FSS usually gives 13k between oil changes on those cars and your MY doesn't have the 1-year timer newer models do.
I used to drive 1998 ML320 (same engine) and back then, (before US lawyers changed the oil recommendations) the truck was run on dino oils with 20 months before we hit 13k and computer called for oil change.
From my 1999 E320 Owner's Manual (no reference to synthetic oil or fleece filter). They also believe the transmission was sealed for life in those days.
20200211_120038.jpg
:

Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
Hello all - great topic here.

FWIW,

Dino (non-synthetic) oils cause massive sludge & varnish in short order.

Modern synthetic motor oils have heat resistant chemistry NOT available in Dino Oils.

Dino Oils have naturally occurring Paraffin wax that turns to thick black tar with exposure to temps above 300 deg long term.

So it's pure myth and bad science to prefer Dino oils to Synthetic oils.

In fact the origin of Synthetic Oils was from Mil-spec applications for modern jet turbine aircraft.

These military jet turbine engines had the extreme duty requirements of high temps & 20,000 rpms etc, far beyond (comparatively) low speed land based gasoline or diesel applications.

I could write a small book on this topic but the point is that Syn Lubes are vastly superior & these are some of the reasons why MBUSA and many manufacturers require them & virtually all race teams use them.

I was close to the developmental stream of this in 1982 and have used Synthetic Lubes since then.

To say those of us who held such in 1982 were like virtual 'John the Baptist(s)' is no exaggeration, in terms of being "Prophets of the Tech to come", lol.

I say this reverently & seriously.

Back then, I suspected that in 30 or 40 years these facts would become more universally known & accepted.

There are huge advances that we all too easily take for granted but benefit us every day.

This is one of them.

David

Registered
2002 E430 Sprt/w W211 wheels
This was my issue a few days back as as my new to me 02 E430 came with Dino oil in it as the PO didn't drive it much and has a lot of other cars including a mid 2000s SL55, and it ran just fine and smooth on the Dino oil and 89 octane gas, and I know I could pick up 2 jugs of Supertech Full Syn. for $30 which is a good oil made by Warren Dist., bunch of videos of that oil being compared with brand name synthetic oils on Youtube(Project Farm) and it surpasses most of them in every way such as friction, flow etc. So I decided to neglect the "MB Approved oil" gimmick as most Synthetics are fairly equal and put in Supertech 5W30 HM Full Syn. in the M113 just like I use it in my other cars including my Lexus GS and they all seems to be really happy running on it. Now the engine could run just fine on Dino oil, but why even bother when you can pick up quality synthetic oil for about the same price as the Dino oils. I later paid my mechanic $20 to change it and that included a the OEM fleece filter, so that costed me 50 bucks for an MB oil change which is good for another 6k+- miles.

Registered
1989 300CE & 1971 280SE; 73.5 911T
Yes. Perform your own oil change @3-5000 miles.
First take your engine to a self-spray car wash and clean the engine bay. It is cheap, won't hurt anything & will make it much more pleasurable to work in there.
M-B filters are available online, oil at your local auto parts store. Tool to remove the plug is in your factory supplied tool roll.
You just need a catch pan, some rags or paper towels.
To dispose of the old oil, take it to the auto parts store- most of them take it for free- then they sell it to road pavers who use it to make highway asphalt.

Check the cleanliness of your air filter. Clean oil, filter, and air filter will give you a healthy engine.

Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
Yes. Perform your own oil change @3-5000 miles.
Oh come on. 3K to 5K oil changes are so 1950s. I change oil on my M112 engines purely on FSS (13K to 17K) miles. The one has 218,000 miles on and the other 186,000 miles and I have zero problems with either. Of course I do use synthetic oil and fleece filters as prescribed by MB.

Registered
benzw205
Oh come on. 3K to 5K oil changes are so 1950s. I change oil on my M112 engines purely on FSS (13K to 17K) miles. The one has 218,000 miles on and the other 186,000 miles and I have zero problems with either. Of course I do use synthetic oil and fleece filters as prescribed by MB.
You are right, this is so ridiculous that people still believe the old BS of changing every 3K to 5K....
17K might be a bit over though... :)

Registered
Hello all - great topic here.

FWIW,

Dino (non-synthetic) oils cause massive sludge & varnish in short order.

Modern synthetic motor oils have heat resistant chemistry NOT available in Dino Oils.

Dino Oils have naturally occurring Paraffin wax that turns to thick black tar with exposure to temps above 300 deg long term.

So it's pure myth and bad science to prefer Dino oils to Synthetic oils.

In fact the origin of Synthetic Oils was from Mil-spec applications for modern jet turbine aircraft.

These military jet turbine engines had the extreme duty requirements of high temps & 20,000 rpms etc, far beyond (comparatively) low speed land based gasoline or diesel applications.

I could write a small book on this topic but the point is that Syn Lubes are vastly superior & these are some of the reasons why MBUSA and many manufacturers require them & virtually all race teams use them.
When synthetics do have base formula who can withstand higher temperatures, there is much more to oil than handling 20,000 rpm in modern cars.
Main advantage of synthetic oils is high addition of Molybdenum, who is know for Centuries to be equivalent to Teflon and making parts slippery.
But here is a picture of synthetic oil, who was used for wrong application in Bluetec. You can guess that low-mileage engine did not survive this oil.

Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz e430 (104k miles)
Discussion Starter #34
@Walt'89300CE Thanks for the advice!
@benzw205 Not crying, just a little annoyed by the shop, and my expectations were not accurate :)

Anywho, I think I'm good for now. We can let this topic rest for now and maybe I can stir up some more controversy with my next post 馃槅

Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
@benzw205 Not crying, just a little annoyed by the shop, and my expectations were not accurate :)

Anywho, I think I'm good for now. We can let this topic rest for now and maybe I can stir up some more controversy with my next post 馃槅
Brooks:

You didn't know what controversy your remarks inadvertently stirred up - 'oil / lube wars' indeed !

I'm thinking that Election views, and Creation VS Evolution would be less controversial, lol !

But, Shops NOT doing what the vehicle owner WANTS or NEEDS - man that's too often seen - like the sun rising in the East.

Just expect it & you won't be disappointed.

That complaint is WHY these forums exist.

By sharing accurate honest information amongst us as hands on owners & hobbyists, pressure is exerted against Indy Shops, Dealers and even Manufacturers to deal more honestly with folks.

And we're empowered (hate that term but it really does apply here) to do our own work, and not be at the Mercy of either the Incompetent or Dishonest.

Take Care - David in Texas

Registered
benzw205

I understand, but when we use shops we know that we will anyway be victims :)
Finally it's not so painful, you will get used to it :)

Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
I do my own oil changes. Just changed oil on my E420 and SL500. Synthetic on sale was $5.99/qt, filter with my discount was $13, and that's for the paper filter the E420 and SL use, not the fleese filter. Car uses 8 liters=8.5 qts, so you need 9 quarts to do a fill. so 9qtsx6= 54 for the oil +13 for the filter is $67 just for the material. So, $100 for a shop isn't out of line.

Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
You still don't understand. FSS was design for dino oils.
Once again, our 1998 ML320 was running on dino oils for few years with 13k intervals, while pulling 5000 lb trailers.
Since it become the most reliable MB ever, you can only wonder if we can "blame" dino oil for that?
I've had Mercedes for 30 years and had always thought that they recommended synthetic from day 1 for FSS cars. Probably how the class action law suit came. Interesting what the other poster showed about his 1999 and no recommendation as to the type of oil.

Of course, if you want to run conventional oil in your cars and take them to 13,000 miles , feel free.

Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
As long as we are on an oil story and quick change places, my neighbor had a beautiful 380SL since new. Took it to a nearby service station and learns later that they put silicone all around the drain plug. They had stripped the drain plug thread. Didn't tell her.

Any of you have an idea what an oil pan and labor are for an M116 engine?

Drives me nuts when you see "mechanics" use things like air wrenches to install spark plugs - and drain plugs.

Registered
I've had Mercedes for 30 years and had always thought that they recommended synthetic from day 1 for FSS cars. Probably how the class action law suit came. Interesting what the other poster showed about his 1999 and no recommendation as to the type of oil.

Of course, if you want to run conventional oil in your cars and take them to 13,000 miles , feel free.
One more time. Our ML did run on dinos for 13,000 miles while towing the trailers. Hold the receipt for 1st service A at $78 for long time.
Also the 1st popular synthetic, (was it Mobil 1?) come on US market past year 2000. It did cost small fortune at the time.
The MB bevmo classifications come to life in late 2000's from what I remember, so originally those cars state SF or like classification, what covers all oils.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts