Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 c280 4matic
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally taking my w203 on a mini road trip. I got her in Feb. and I'm excited to see how she handles a few hundred miles straight.

Leave tomorrow morning for Mass so we'll see if I encounter any problems. It'll be nice to just get in and drive and finally put some mileage on her.

·
Registered
Mercedes
238 Posts
drove my car car 260 miles each way the day after i took off my front bumper, metal reinforcement, radiator support and frame bracket, put it back together, she drive flawlessly all the way... no stutter, bad idle or anything...temps stayed perfect and got crazy mileage, 400+ per tank...

·
Registered
2011 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon
1,023 Posts
drove my car car 260 miles each way the day after i took off my front bumper, metal reinforcement, radiator support and frame bracket, put it back together, she drive flawlessly all the way... no stutter, bad idle or anything...temps stayed perfect and got crazy mileage, 400+ per tank...
Great job!

I just came back from Phily, was there for the first Friday festivities! 640mi+ round trip..noooo sweat!

·
Registered
W203 Sport Pkg
107 Posts

·
Registered
2006 c280 4matic
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't been on in awhile... The trip went amazing. I have also taken it on another 800+ mile trip since then. The only problem I have had was I got a nail in one of my rear tires. Fixed now though. She runs like a champ. :)

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
I'm doing the first of many Fenwick Island to Scranton trips with my C in the AM. Interested to see what kind of gas mileage she returns.
As with so many things, YMMV. I have noticed the biggest factor is traffic density and speed. Every time you lose or gain speed, your mileage goes down. Every MPH above about 60, your mileage goes down.

The AC seems to matter very little. I've noticed about a MPG difference on the highway. In the city it makes a big difference.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
As with so many things, YMMV. I have noticed the biggest factor is traffic density and speed. Every time you lose or gain speed, your mileage goes down. Every MPH above about 60, your mileage goes down.

The AC seems to matter very little. I've noticed about a MPG difference on the highway. In the city it makes a big difference.
Well, I'm very happy with the results. I averaged 67 mph and got 28.5 mpg (according to the speedo display) It seemed like most of the time the speed control hovered in the 75-80 range. One thing I have to say about the 2.5 is it may be slow off the line but when it's wound up it packs a pretty good punch. I found myself approaching 100 mph several times while passing. I was able to get a clear shot of highway just before the I-81 exit on I 476 and got it near the 130 mph mark (the limiter must go!). Something I was surprised about was the engine sound and exhaust note. I'm really impressed, it's sounds are deep and visceral, almost like a tame version of what my 2.3-16 sounds like under medium throttle (nothing compares to that beast under full throttle in 2, 3 and 4). I really don't think I'll miss the turbo woosh of my recently departed Saab 9-3 SS. That car had stage 2 ECU upgrade and had about 220 bhp and 250 lbs/ft of torque all usable from 1800 rpms up. The Saab was no joke off the line with the manual tranny which brings me to the 7 speed in the C. It by no means compares to using your left foot to drive but you can actually shift it in a sporting manor and get good results. One thing I'll miss are the Saab seats on long trips. No joke like sitting on a sofa... Completely different experience in the C, those seats keep you awake and alert with constant body adjusting. Not a bad thing when approaching 100 mph to be alert, I'm not complaining at all. This 07 is very much leaps and bounds ahead of my '98 230 in every way. The '98, when compared, seems very utilitarian and vanilla for lack of a better term. The 203 in sport trim feels more organic and more in tune with your senses and less like an A to B commuter. Overall I'm glad I ditched the Swede to have a complete german garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts