Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I've gotten my E55, I've not had a chance to take it on a long drive. I've been around town and on race tracks but have not done a grand touring-esque. Last week, I was able to take a drive from LA to San Diego not long(150 miles), but it was the longest so far.<p>WoW! Drew, that must have been a really nice first drive you had going from NJ to FL. The car performed like a champ. It was smooth and firm the whole way. I got just the perfect amount of feedback to make it feel gripy and sporty. When I wanted, just squeeze the throttle and the E55 would absorb the road with ease. If I wanted, I could get it to sprint forward from 70 MPH to 100 MPH with no effort. At all times, it seemed to move quickly with no friction or difficulties. Very smooth and responsive.<p>I used to have a '93 RX-7 TT that was modified to 375 HP. I remember going down the same road with it and how that felt in comparison to the E55. I disagree with Drew and Ryan, the E55 is not a beast. It's a much more civilized agressiveness. The RX-7 was a beast because it roared and gripped and pounced with each push of the throttle. The E55 is much more purposeful with its dominance of the road. The RX-& felt like a cheetah where the E55 felt more like a space cruiser. <p>Under grand touring scenarios, I believe that the E55 has no equal. I could not imagine driving for two hours plus in an M5. The stick would seem completely out of place, unneeded and borring. The stick is only fun on road courses etc where toe-heel and shift points make a difference. On the long open roads, the E55's tight integration between driver, transmission and suspension truly captures grand touring.<p>After 14,000 miles I am still very impressed with how the E55 performs and continue enjoy each driving experience. In fact, more and more, I am convinced that an enthusiast needs a different car for different occassions. I'd love to hear more E55 experiences from the rest of you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Long drive experience in the E55

I once did a 13 hours non-stop (except for gas) run in the E55 on the I-5 (Seattle/SF stretch). It tells you how enjoyable the car is.<p>I didn't go flat out averaging about 75 mph with occasional short bursts to 100 mph on uphills. Most 1,000 miles I have had. <p>The car feels so stable and I particularly enjoyed its handling up the curvy stuff at high speed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts