Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the Brabus ECO PowerXtra for the ML320 CDI, and ran 200km of highway with it.
Compared to the Kleemann KD-Box I uninstalled, I have to say there is not a significant perceptable difference in terms of horsepower or torque.
Both boxes gives good power from start, but esp. noticeable improvement in mid range, from say 20-80km/h.
Fuel consumption: First off, I have to say, neither of the 2 boxes makes fuel consumption any worse than stock. On the contrary, there is a slight improvement on fuel consumption with both. I would say that for the KD-Box, fuel consumption is improved by 5-10%, having used it for some 3-4 months. Of course, it is impossible for me to conclude the fuel consumption benefits with the Brabus chip, but if 200km of highway would give any idea, I would say it is about the same.

Will report more in time.

Now that I have 2 boxes, I am looking at ridding of one. Any interested parties please send me a message.

·
Registered
117 Posts
why?

Just installed the Brabus ECO PowerXtra for the ML320 CDI, and ran 200km of highway with it.
Compared to the Kleemann KD-Box I uninstalled, I have to say there is not a significant perceptable difference in terms of horsepower or torque.
Both boxes gives good power from start, but esp. noticeable improvement in mid range, from say 20-80km/h.
Fuel consumption: First off, I have to say, neither of the 2 boxes makes fuel consumption any worse than stock. On the contrary, there is a slight improvement on fuel consumption with both. I would say that for the KD-Box, fuel consumption is improved by 5-10%, having used it for some 3-4 months. Of course, it is impossible for me to conclude the fuel consumption benefits with the Brabus chip, but if 200km of highway would give any idea, I would say it is about the same.

Will report more in time.

Now that I have 2 boxes, I am looking at ridding of one. Any interested parties please send me a message.

May I ask why you uninstalled Kleeman's kit?Something happened?
I have it for 2 years now, and I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing is wrong with the Kleemann I am simply curious if the brabus is better or not

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My experence tells me yes, they reduce turbo lag. And it makes sense that they do, since there is more power kicking in at lower rpm

·
Registered
2 Posts
We love this diesel, but hate the turbo lag when you're waiting to make a left turn and you need a little getup and go

·
Registered
current: 2014 ML350 Bluetec past: 2008 ML320 CDI 2007 R320 CDI/2005 E320 CDI
198 Posts
Do these boxes help with the turbo lag? Have an 08 and thinking about getting one for this reason .
yes ..I have same car and it did improve my car ...I am using Kleeman for long time (E320, R320 and now, ML320). The best performance was on E320 but I can feel difference (not just in my head :) ).

I was about to go with Brabus when I was told that it's same as Kleeman but x2 cheeper. Brabus is good company but I think it's very well know technology and if you buy any of those devices, you cannot go wrong....

A.

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
We love this diesel, but hate the turbo lag when you're waiting to make a left turn and you need a little getup and go
I don't have a diesel and therefore I don't have either of these devices, but I don't see how they could possibly reduce turbo lag. Basically all they do is allow higher turbo pressure to -- in effect -- increase the effective size of the engine and hence generate more power. That all occurs when the turbo is spinning at high speed, so how they could help the turbo get up to speed faster is a mystery.

These devices all work on turbocharged engines, but they also bring into question the status of your warranty. Even though you don't often read of problems with them, I wouldn't want to be arguing with Mercedes if I had some engine problem and they refused to honor the warranty on the grounds that I had installed an unauthorized device.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I don't have a diesel and therefore I don't have either of these devices, but I don't see how they could possibly reduce turbo lag. Basically all they do is allow higher turbo pressure to -- in effect -- increase the effective size of the engine and hence generate more power. That all occurs when the turbo is spinning at high speed, so how they could help the turbo get up to speed faster is a mystery.

These devices all work on turbocharged engines, but they also bring into question the status of your warranty. Even though you don't often read of problems with them, I wouldn't want to be arguing with Mercedes if I had some engine problem and they refused to honor the warranty on the grounds that I had installed an unauthorized device.
I dont have either of these devices either, but have used similar devices on other diesels. They do many things including being able to alter the geometry of a variable turbo, increase the injection pressure, increase the injection duration and some can also alter shift points and convertor lockup with the right hookups. I would assume these do all of the above with exception to the transmission.Now I'm not saying yay or nay, but this is how they work.

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
I dont have either of these devices either, but have used similar devices on other diesels. They do many things including being able to alter the geometry of a variable turbo, increase the injection pressure, increase the injection duration and some can also alter shift points and convertor lockup with the right hookups. I would assume these do all of the above with exception to the transmission.Now I'm not saying yay or nay, but this is how they work.
Well, I doubt the device itself does any of that. Other than a handful of units aimed at commercial diesels, they all work by in some way fooling the ECU by tinkering with the various signals it receives. That can be by inserting a device inline with the signal bus or by modifying the various software maps that are used. But it is the ECU that alters things like injection characteristics, based on the 'lies' it is being told by the add-on device. If there were any way to get the turbo to get up to speed faster, you just know that the manufacturer would have done that already as there is no downside to it. BMW locate their turbos in the V at the top of their (gasonline) engine, giving extremely short manifold distance to turbo. They also use piezzo-injectors with incredibly precise spray patterns and timing, combined with variable valve timing. All of these are supposed to be able to get the turbos up to speed way, way faster than any other engine on the market, and yet owners of these 50-series X5s and X6s still complain of turbo lag. Mercedes' new 550 engine uses all the same technologies but with the turbos in their traditional place; it will be interesting to see if turbo lag is a probem with them too in heavy vehicles like the ML.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well, I doubt the device itself does any of that. Other than a handful of units aimed at commercial diesels, they all work by in some way fooling the ECU by tinkering with the various signals it receives. That can be by inserting a device inline with the signal bus or by modifying the various software maps that are used. But it is the ECU that alters things like injection characteristics, based on the 'lies' it is being told by the add-on device. If there were any way to get the turbo to get up to speed faster, you just know that the manufacturer would have done that already as there is no downside to it. BMW locate their turbos in the V at the top of their (gasonline) engine, giving extremely short manifold distance to turbo. They also use piezzo-injectors with incredibly precise spray patterns and timing, combined with variable valve timing. All of these are supposed to be able to get the turbos up to speed way, way faster than any other engine on the market, and yet owners of these 50-series X5s and X6s still complain of turbo lag. Mercedes' new 550 engine uses all the same technologies but with the turbos in their traditional place; it will be interesting to see if turbo lag is a probem with them too in heavy vehicles like the ML.
Exactly, they change the way the existing engine control unit ''controls'' the various functions of a diesel. Since you have it set in your mind i wouldnt try to change your outlook.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just want to report that my tuning chips, KD-Box / Brabus became non-functional for the last couple months. I noticed the lack of boost, and the higher fuel consumption.
I interrogated the engine despite the lack of any check engine light. I did find that something was wrong in the parameters within the common rail diesel. Eventually the check engine light came on and the common rail pressue sensor was replaced by the dealer.
Now the chips are working again and fuel consumption is back down!
Did anyone of you out there with a box experience the same problem?

·
Registered
54 Posts
yes ..I have same car and it did improve my car ...I am using Kleeman for long time (E320, R320 and now, ML320). The best performance was on E320 but I can feel difference (not just in my head :) ).

I was about to go with Brabus when I was told that it's same as Kleeman but x2 cheeper. Brabus is good company but I think it's very well know technology and if you buy any of those devices, you cannot go wrong....

A.

Out of curiosity, did you need to get your box flashed to suit your different models even though the block is essentially the same.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just want to report that my tuning chips, KD-Box / Brabus became non-functional for the last couple months. I noticed the lack of boost, and the higher fuel consumption.
I interrogated the engine despite the lack of any check engine light. I did find that something was wrong in the parameters within the common rail diesel. Eventually the check engine light came on and the common rail pressue sensor was replaced by the dealer.
Now the chips are working again and fuel consumption is back down!
Did anyone of you out there with a box experience the same problem?
on my C220cdi I have a similar issue, but I have narrowed it down to the intake manifold and blocked valves. Could also have an issue with clogged EGR affecting MAF sensor no chip and fuel consumption the same, just without power band.

Did the Kleemann have all the same leads and plugs as the Brabus unit? Which I think has 4 or 5 connectors.

Given you have returned to using your Kleemann, and that there is no real difference between them, was that simply because you could sell the Brabus for more given it's higher buy price?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Something is not quite right
The carlsson I put on is giving me a check engine light now
The boost is still there but not sure what it's all about
Have not time to interrogate yet
Will find out

I sold the Bravia because someone was interested in getting it from me

·
Registered
His 2013 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Hers 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Kids 2010 "4Matic" Impreza
334 Posts
From what I remember, these chips alter the signal to the common rail pressure sensor, causing more diesel fuel to be injected, thus more power. Check your sensor, it may be bad again. Isn't that where the Kleenman plugs in?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts