Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased 10 qts of Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP, and the Mann oil filter.

BTW Pep Boys has Mobil 1 for $7.99/qt.

Do I need any special tools? I have oil filter wrenches, both metal type and rubber type. Also 16qt drain pan.

Is there a plastic engine lower cover to remove or is the drain plug accessible?

I have done oil changes on my past VW's.

How do I reset the "service due" message? My manual shows a reset button, but my car doesn't have it.

Thanks in advance.
;)

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
I thought 0W40 was the recommended oil grade. 40 is important, it covers the high temperature.
2009 car should still be under factory 4yr/48Kmile warranty. You should let the dealer do it or ask them if you do it yourself, will that void the warranty?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Hi

To the best of my knowledge, a MB warranty is NOT invalidated by a DIY oilchange. But it might be smart to check that out yourself first.

Regarding your choice of oil, the MOST important thing here is that you see MB Spec 229.5 on the can. The weight is something else, and depends on location/climate.

Get yourself a special tool designed for removing the MB filter. Available in many auto stores. Don't use anything else you might have hanging around. There will be a drain plug in the sump, although many folks here swear by the suction method often used by the workshops. A torque wrench is also advisable.

Personally I prefer to drain, as it gives me an opportunity to have a look around underneath the car. Use a new washer on drain plug.

The plastic engine covers on MBs pop up vertically, but mind your knuckles as release can be sudden. It will sit on 4 little mushroom shaped things that fit into clips on the cover. It should not have to come off to get at the dipstick. Put your hood into the vertical position, as it helps access.

Ref your reset facility, what button do you press to reset your trip mileage on the instrument panel? Service reset will likely use the same one.

There are several DIY oil changes covered in the archives here, and also in the 'stickies' at the head of many of the forums. Here's one from the W209 forum for the M112 engine used in some CLKs. Yours will be similar :thumbsup:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1333531-successful-diy-oil-change.html

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
This was a 2009 Bluetech, meaning it has the diesel particulate filter and needs 229.51 (or 229.31) grade oil.

For us at least the only viscosity option from Mobil at MB229.51 is 5W30. Many new cars have 0W20 oil from factory (lower fuel consumption). As long as their oil coolers work fine, it does not matter if outside temp is low or high.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
This was a 2009 Bluetech, meaning it has the diesel particulate filter and needs 229.51 (or 229.31) grade oil.
You are quite right -I must have been dozing when I read the heading...:(

I don't suppose an oilchange on a diesel is very different to that on a petrol engine. However, I am now familiar with the world of Adblue additive, SCR catalyst. et al...:)

This is from a list of MB approved oils from my files:

MB sheet 229.51 approved oils, low ash long life.

Mercedes pioneered this new spec for passenger cars with diesel engines with EURO 4 or Bluetec exhaust particle filters and longer service life than the 229.31 oils. The spec was introduced in 2005. Change intervals increased to 20,000 kilometers. Based on ACEA A3 B4 and C3.

Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40
Anglomoil RoadMaster 500 API SM 10W-40
Aral SuperTronic 229.51 0W-40 LOW SAPS
Castrol Longtec Turbodiesel 0W-30 (229.51)
ELF Solaris LSX 5W-30
Fuchs TITAN GT1 229.51 SAE 5W-30 (first fill oil in OM 642)
megol Motorenoel New Generation SAE 5W-30
Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 (to become available in the USA on 5/15/06)
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 Emission System Protection (Europe, from 12/05)
Shell Helix Ultra AX 5W-30 Mercedes 229.51
Valvoline SynPower MST 5W-30 229.51 (added 6/1/2006)

Maybe the OP should re-check that his purchased oil & filter are compliant with your information.

·
Registered
2001 E320 2WD
5 Posts
No worries, Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP is MB 229.51 approved. The Bluetec is a diesel engine and as such needs 229.51 rather than 229.5; Mobil 1 0W-40 would be the wrong oil for this engine. Two Mobil 1 oils commonly available in the USA are 229.51 approved, the afore mentioned 5W-30 ESP and the 5W-40 ESP formula.

Rumple

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
first off regular mobil one oil is fine to use as most mb dealers use the same oil in all the cars. also doing an oil change yourself does not void your warranty. just keep all reciepts and what not and dates of changes because if your engine develops an issue later down the road they will want proof of oil changes and oil used.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Oil change is the simplest and most important thing to do to keep the engine lasting.
The first DYI oil change should be at 1K miles with genuine manufacturer's parts and oil. That's what I did for all new cars that I bought, domestic or foreign.
MB recommends replacing the washer on the drain plug, but for the first few oil changes, the washer can be flipped over. I actually used the same plug/washer for 100K miles.
Some manual may specify oil capacity in liters. Oil was bought in quarts, do the unit conversion, add the right amount of oil then use the dip stick to verify oil level when the car is on a leveled floor.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
If MB recommends it, do it. No such thing as "flipping washer over" as a "solution."

Reason 229.51 is required is because of diesel particulate filter, not simply because it's a diesel.

5W-30 is at PepBoys for VW owners and 5W-40 is at PepBoys for Mercedes owners.

The key in both cases is ESP, which means emissions system protection which means diesel particulate filter protection. "Regular" Mobil 1 is NOT OK and will poison your DPF, and that will be discovered by your dealer and the warranty for that part voided.

FWIW, my GL contains an underhood sticker cautioning against using ANY QUANTITY of nonESP motor oil, which means don't add any between changes unless it's the correct stuff.

Mercedes motor oil is so much better changed via vacuum extraction via the dipstick tube, and there are several DIY tools for doing this, and yes you'll have to remove under engine paneling otherwise.

Finally, one SHOULD NOT attempt ANY DIY on a Mercedes without reference to official procedures, which are kindly provided by Mercedes via service DVD or Startekinfo subscription.

Star Service CDs and DVDs

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/9511/?requestedDocId=9511

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
The first DYI oil change should be at 1K miles with genuine manufacturer's parts and oil.
Well, it's now the 21st century and this is total BS.

First oil change should be at 10K miles as recommended by Mercedes.

Earlier oil changes are bad for your engine.

See The Effect of Oil Drain Interval on Valvetrain Friction and Wear

Here's a quote from this document:
... oil samples collected from fleet vehicles after 12,000 mile drain interval showed 10-15 % lower friction and more importantly, an order of magnitude lower wear rate than those of fresh oils.
Again, it's the 21st century.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,732 Posts
I am buying M1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 at my local, smaller automotive chain for $6.99 what is the same price the other M1 cost.
When I tried to get to the plug on 320cdi what I was doing out of curiosity since I extract from the top for years, I found so many covers and sound absorbing mats around the bottom of the engine, that I gave up. Per most of experience top extraction on those engines is superior to bottom draining.
Why would anybody want to go to the bottom?
The earlier oil change? We don't have labs to do the testing, but per what drivebywire in W211 posted, the MB oil filters are so good, that they make oil cleaner than when it left refinery. Meaning if the oil is not chemically contaminated from long use, draining it and refilling with fresh "dirty" oil would actually harm the engine. Take it with ;) since we are getting in rocket science "clean" issues.

·
Registered
w204 (C350ELE)
1,262 Posts
Service A
Mercedes Benz Service A, Mercedes A Service
According to the manual, the first oil change is at 2K miles. The first 1K miles is to be nice and gentle to the car.
Two pitfalls in this: I) It reads "Next A service in 1,000 miles", but does not show how many miles the car has.
II) It refers to previous models of vehicles with FSS service schedule. The schedule for current cars is Assyst Plus.

:):thumbsup::)

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
I don't see where it says to change the oil after 2000 miles.

·
Registered
36,732 Posts
One more proof, that reading manuals is not our strong point :D
Per my recollection, all car manufacturers dropped the early oil change requirement about 30 years ago. Give it another 20 and owners will catch up. Just like with "oil change 3000"

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
To find relevance to 2009 cars, you may want to call the dealer to ask them yourself.
My previous post about the first oil change came from 2001 manual, not 1999. When I bought my 1999 E430 in 1999, the salesman specifically told me to bring the car in after 1000 miles for service, free of charge.
From 2008 maintenance manual, it looked like MB has not changed the maintenance practice.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,732 Posts
Looks that one of us can't comprehend English. My 1998 and 1999 manuals did not required extra service before first regular at around 12,000 miles. In those years there was no Service A or B on FSS. Just service. End of the story.
Than the posted "First visit" for 2008 model says nothing about oil change.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Best way is to call the dealer to ask. I only wrote what I knew and have done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts