Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
BMW Z4 M, MB CL 55 AMG
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

my name is Max from south west Germany where I run a hotel and a restaurant near Heidelberg ( Hotel Restaurant Freihof ).
With that i spend nearly 14 hours a day- but if theres still a little time left I love nice cars.

As I live near the Hockenheim Ring, i prepared myself a BMW z4 M for Trackdays.
For daily and bad weather days I had an old 740 in beautiful shape.

Well, something new had to come.
So i bought a Cl 55 Amg 2 weeks ago ( I had myself well informed and took the risk anyway- I just love that car)

I did not like the silver, the rims, the interiour wood, the scratches on the leather an many little things that didnt work.

But ABC was dry, pump alread exchanged, 2 preowners and only 32 thousand miles (approved).
And it was a bargain compared to some other cars offered.
I was the first to call when it came online and I was lucky that the seller held his word "first come, first serve" he got bids nearly 5000€ higher than what I paid.

But as I told you:

I did not like the silver, the rims, the interiour wood, the scratches on the leather an many little things that didnt work.

- the car got wrapped in sls grey
- the wood got wrapped in carbon fiber
- new wheels (SLS front wheels in 9,5/19 all around)
- new tires Hankook s1 evo (I love that tire on my z4) in 255/40/19
and 285/35/19
- German software on my us version

I hope you enjoy the pics.
I will make better ones as soon as the car is finished- take those as a preview:

my racetrack and good weather toy:

A gave that beauty away for the CL:

but for even a better beauty- no problem:

the planned wheels:

on the car for the first time:

awful view- but has to be done for good car wrapping:

first steps to a new color:

new color on old car:

carbonfibre instead of wood:

put the wheels back on:

that is the way it looked tonight:

·
Registered
330 Posts
When you posted about using the SLS rims I thought you were nuts. Now I realize you are actually a mad genius. I've never seen a car wrapped for a color change, but it looks amazing, as does the carbon fiber. The exterior color looks kind of matte in the pics. Is it glossier in person or were you going for that?

·
Registered
BMW Z4 M, MB CL 55 AMG
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you posted about using the SLS rims I thought you were nuts. Now I realize you are actually a mad genius. I've never seen a car wrapped for a color change, but it looks amazing, as does the carbon fiber. The exterior color looks kind of matte in the pics. Is it glossier in person or were you going for that?
Hehe thanks mike- a mad genius???? -sweet.
The car wrapping is getting common in Germany. Cabs do it and Police is doing it- for beeing able to better sell their used cars.
They buy the cars in silver, white or black, and wrap them in the color they need.
Not too stupid.
And the foil on my car looks beautiful and if ever I sell the car again- the paint under the wrapping is still in good shape and I can offer mutliple options:
Grey and wood
grey and carbon fiber
silver wood
silver carbon fiber

With the SLS rims all turned out to be good as got it done to get back or near to the factory offset with my spacers.
I think the clue there, was, to buy the best spacers available on the market.

The grey color, there you are right- is the same color Benz uses on the SLS- it is called "imola grey" here in Germany and it is a little matte. Not too matte- just a little. BMW Code for a similar color is "frozen grey metallic" I Dont know if the color codes have the same names in the States.

I had a picture of my Cl 55 in mind and I think it turned out to be good-
honestly I have never seen a CL I liked more- and that is the main thing for me.
I Have to like my car- and I do :)

That you like it too now- sweet!

Thanks
Max

·
Registered
BMW Z4 M, MB CL 55 AMG
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The matte effect is a little reinforced on the pictures, as they were taken against the sun...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've used H/R Track spacers to decrease my offsets a bit and got vibration, but that may be an issue with the decreased offset and not the spacers themselves. So how much is it to wrap a car like that? Do they do the door jambs as well? I love the matte look...the car is now truly one-of-a-kind. Can it go thru a car wash with the wrap?

·
Registered
BMW Z4 M, MB CL 55 AMG
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, suprises me that you got problems with them- so probably the clue is, to stay nearby the factory offset.

I paid about 2000$ to do the in and outside.

The door jambs? (english problem, sorry)
Do you mean, where you enter?
When you open the door you can still see a little of the original paint.
But as the colors arent that far away from each other, you dont even recognize.
They would have done that too, but I would have had to pay more.

Car washes are no problem at all- and even high pressure cleaners are no problem, as long as you dont go very close to an "end point"
So in that issue- no worries at all.

·
Registered
BMW Z4 M, MB CL 55 AMG
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way,
last repairs will be done next week, with that, the pdc sensors will go in matte grey too

·
Registered
1995 s500, 2004 s500, 1991 190e
880 Posts
You have great taste. The wheels and color look amazing and the carbon fiber has a nice contrast against the light leather. I love your e38 as well, I think that may be my next car(along with my Mercedes). Those would be the wheels I would put on it.

·
Registered
BMW Z4 M, MB CL 55 AMG
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have great taste. The wheels and color look amazing and the carbon fiber has a nice contrast against the light leather. I love your e38 as well, I think that may be my next car(along with my Mercedes). Those would be the wheels I would put on it.
Thanks a lot...
I have loved the e38- but it was time for something new. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2009 E63, 2000 ML430
727 Posts
Very sleek look! really like the carbon fiber over-lay! Considering the carbon fiber look myself.

·
Registered
G500 Hybrid, '04 SL500, '13 GLK 350 4 matic
116 Posts
Is color wrapping available in USA?

Do you know who makes such color wrapping and whether it is sold in the USA?

The shop that did my wife's GLK350 with 3M said they wrapped an entire Ferrrari 458 and SL55 just before I brought it in. Never thought of asking them if it they had it in color. (BTW Bremen makes excellent cars!)

My CL is due to have the 3m Venture Shield renewed (early batch from 05) so maybe I can change the color? Perhaps even make it a 2-tone like the old days!

Vielen Danke!

·
Registered
BMW Z4 M, MB CL 55 AMG
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello Grane,
3M is one of the big producers of it.
But I cant give you the names of the others.
Just ask at the shop where you had the Glk done, they should know.
Bitte schön :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts