Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a beautiful 03' CL55 AMG. Silver on black interior.

I would like to upgrade the wheels to the staggard 19" CL65 AMG wheels. I've tried to look on ebay for a few options but obviously will only buy OEM. Im sure there a many that have done this and just need a little input as to what to expect; suspension height problems, any rubbing, etc.

Other than that, I'm happy to enter the Benz world. Any suggestions with the car is appreciated.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just purchased a beautiful 03' CL55 AMG. Silver on black interior.

I would like to upgrade the wheels to the staggard 19" CL65 AMG wheels. I've tried to look on ebay for a few options but obviously will only buy OEM. Im sure there a many that have done this and just need a little input as to what to expect; suspension height problems, any rubbing, etc.

Other than that, I'm happy to enter the Benz world. Any suggestions with the car is appreciated.
Congrats, of course. Any 19" OEM AMG wheels for the CL Class will fit without issues. Wheels for the S class (2000+) and C Class (2008+) will also fit. You're looking for 19 x 8 with a 44mm offset for the fronts, and 19 x 9 with a 46mm offset for the rear. You could also go to an 8.5 front/9.5 rear width.

OEM wheels are going to be fairly expensive. Plan on spending $2k-$4k for a set in good shape. New replica wheels would run around $700. What wheels are on the car now?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheels on the car now are the stock 18" double spoke AMG wheels. The don't look bad, but the 19" CL65 double spokes just give the car a more aggressive but still classy look. The 19's have a circular bolt like patter around the face of the wheel that I just really like.

Do you think I would have to make any suspension modifications (as if this wouldn't be opening a can of worms due to the ABC). I'm worried about the ride height after installing the 19's with the correct offsets..

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wheels on the car now are the stock 18" double spoke AMG wheels. The don't look bad, but the 19" CL65 double spokes just give the car a more aggressive but still classy look. The 19's have a circular bolt like patter around the face of the wheel that I just really like.

Do you think I would have to make any suspension modifications (as if this wouldn't be opening a can of worms due to the ABC). I'm worried about the ride height after installing the 19's with the correct offsets..
I actually have a set of those same staggered 18's. I keep them as a spare set. Nice looking wheel, but a pain to keep clean.

You won't be changing the ride height if you go to 19's. In a Plus 1 fitment, you're going to keep the overall wheel diameter the same, but trade more rim for less tire sidewall. Bear in mind that shorter sidewalls look more aggressive but stiffen the ride quite a bit. A 19" wheel with the correct tire size will not fill the wheel-well space any more than an 18" wheel will.

(If you want to fill the wheel well, and close the gap between the top of the wheel and the fender, consider lowering the car a bit and leaving it on the 18's. You can lower your CL with a kit from Adjustable Air Ride for $300. It's the most economical way to get a tougher looking stance. You can do it yourself in your driveway and it's just as easily undone as well)

Your Plus 1 tire sizes are 245/40/19 (F) and 265/35/19 (R). Those assume 8" and 9" widths. Aftermarket wheels will most likely be 8.5" and 9.5". Those tire sizes will still work, or you can go to a 255/ (F) and 275/ (R). The tires will be wider but the sidewall will also be a fraction taller. (The second number in a tire size is the sidewall ratio, not the sidewall height. The ratio is based on the first number, which is the tread width. So a 265/35 tire will have a 265mm tread width, and a sidewall height that is 35% of 265mm.)

Those bolt like things on the AMG rims are rivets, and on the true AMG rim they're functional...the wheel is a 2-Piece construction and they mount the hub to the hoop. A set of those used if you find them will run you $5000. Consider a replica wheel.Here's a 19" replica wheel with the right offsets that you might like:

Do a search on EBay for 19" AMG Style wheel. Ignore the seller's info on which models the wheel is for... they'll all want to sell you wheels with too low an offset. If the vendor lists offsets, you want to stay as close to the factory spec (44mm front and 46mm rear) as possible. Don't sweat a few mm's either way, but no more than a 4mm variance. If the vendor doesn't list offsets, look for wheels that fit 2008+ "C Class, S Class All Years". The only issues I've ever had with aftermarket wheels was when I neglected the importance of having the correct offsets.

Remember that, on a car that uses a positive offset, a lower number moves the wheel assembly out from the center of the car, towards the fender edge. A higher number moves the wheel assembly in towards the center of the car, towards the strut or shock.

If you want the biggest bang for the fewest bucks, get the lowering kit and new 18" rims. You can use your existing tires and get the whole thing done for around $1,000 (You'll also need a new alignment).. I have a similar looking wheel to the rim I linked to above (same face, no lip or rivets) in 18" with a 1" drop on the ride height. I would have preferred the one with the lip and rivets but on my S Class it would have been overkill. Perfect for the CL, though,

·
Registered
1988 Lamborghini Countach QV (sold) 2000 S500 (sold) 2004 CL500, Toyota Hilux invincable(current)
219 Posts
I used to have those wheels mike5215 has linked you to on my S class, and they looked fantastic. The only way to tell them apart from the originals was the small AMG badge was missing from the edge of the center hub (see photo http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230-sl-class/1432814-amg-rims.html) which nobody really even noticed. Luckly my CL500 came with 20" Brabus rims and so I let the replica AMG ones go with the S class when I sold it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I used to have those wheels mike5215 has linked you to on my S class, and they looked fantastic. The only way to tell them apart from the originals was the small AMG badge was missing from the edge of the center hub (see photo http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230-sl-class/1432814-amg-rims.html) which nobody really even noticed. Luckly my CL500 came with 20" Brabus rims and so I let the replica AMG ones go with the S class when I sold it.
I've had no luck finding that replica AMG split 5-spoke 2 piece (rivets) in the right offset, Usarim used to carry them, but I think the style they're based on has been out of production for so long they no longer make the replica.

If I'd still had by Black 06 S500 AMG Sport I would have done those wheels in a heartbeat. The Pewter 04 S430 just seemed to call for something a little less aggressive. Oddly, mine have a fake AMG badge, and I'd kind of rather they didn't. Still love what they do for the car, and the price was good, too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike, very nice explanation on the offsets and wheel sizes for the CL. I most certainly will not deviate from the factory spec in order to keep the car and ride quality in the best shape.

Im a little confused as to why i should purchase new 18"s even if i do purchase the ride height adjustment. The 18" AMG's on there now are in very good shape, im assuming you meant just going with a different style. The reason i wanted to bump up to 19's is because i feel the 18" style wheels look a tad small on a car that length. I was one of the first things i noticed when i saw it.

The wheels you sent the link on are nice. Definitely a style a would look into buying. Im not crazy about that deep of a lip tho. Id have to see them on a CL or CLK in order to make the judgement. Secondly, are aftermarket 19" wheels (with the correct offsets of course) a comparable replacement to the true 19" AMG 2-piece or any other true 19" MB wheel? Money wise, its definitely cheaper to go with something like that, but will i be sacrificing too much on the ride quality, or have problems?

I appreciate you feedback. This is my first Benz. I want it to look and feel like one as much as possible..

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mike, very nice explanation on the offsets and wheel sizes for the CL. I most certainly will not deviate from the factory spec in order to keep the car and ride quality in the best shape.

Im a little confused as to why i should purchase new 18"s even if i do purchase the ride height adjustment. The 18" AMG's on there now are in very good shape, im assuming you meant just going with a different style. The reason i wanted to bump up to 19's is because i feel the 18" style wheels look a tad small on a car that length. I was one of the first things i noticed when i saw it.

The wheels you sent the link on are nice. Definitely a style a would look into buying. Im not crazy about that deep of a lip tho. Id have to see them on a CL or CLK in order to make the judgement. Secondly, are aftermarket 19" wheels (with the correct offsets of course) a comparable replacement to the true 19" AMG 2-piece or any other true 19" MB wheel? Money wise, its definitely cheaper to go with something like that, but will i be sacrificing too much on the ride quality, or have problems?

I appreciate you feedback. This is my first Benz. I want it to look and feel like one as much as possible..
The wheels look small because the car's stock ride height puts too much space between the body and the wheels. 19's might help by visually emphasizing the rim, which is bright silver in most cases, rather than the tire, which is black, but your overall wheel size will be identical with 18's or 19's

I was suggesting 18's in the event that you just wanted new look. I also like keeping 18's for the softer ride. Plus, they cost less, and their tires cost less.
I think it's safe to say that the AMG 2pc 19's are an excellent wheel, and worth nowhere near the going price. Here's a nice set for $3,000.

Here's a more modern look, cleaner lines, no lip (or rivets),

and these.

A wheel need only be true (straight) and the right specs. A rim with a manufacturing defect (run out) that would cause it to be not perfectly round, will show itself on a force balance machine. Any established retailer will exchange a wheel with run out. There may be a cosmetic defect, same recourse...send it back and get another.

As long as the rim balances out normally, you'll find no difference in ride or perfromance whatsoever. I have a set of AMG wheels. They actually took more weight to balance than the aftermarket wheels. Now the stigma, that's another issue. Purist Benz owners believe aftermarket wheels, no matter how stunning, cheapen the car. I felt that way with my first Benz. Then, when it came time to trade it in, not a single representative from Mercedes was there to give me my Purist Award. I decided that maybe my own opinion about my own car should count more than anything else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Getting back to the offsets

As you had this issue earlier, I find myself looking up wheels that I like but do not have the correct offset. Example:

MERCEDES 19 INCH STAGGERD AMG 65 STYLE GUNMETAL RIMS BRAND NEW CL65 SL65 S65 | eBay

As you can see, the offset is 32mm front and 36mm rear. Can 10mm spacers be used in order to get the wheels in the factory spec range, or would doing this in turn lose some integrity from the wheel to hub? Also, lug bolts may need to be longer. As far as the tires go, since the aftermarket wheels seem to be all 8.5 and 9.5, I probably will do a larger set 255/ (F) and 275/ (R).

As for being a MB purist, i do carry that mindset somewhat. I own an Audi A4 B5 in gorgeous shape that i did not stray away from installing anything but Audi on that car from the suspension (Stasis, which are used currently on the A5/S5 models) to the S8 wheels that are currently on the car.

Ive gotten away from this a tad as its just too expensive to keep changing out OEM parts ( when the qaulity on some after market are actually better). With the Benz however, I cant justify spending $5000 on OEM 19" AMG's I can buy something very similar at a fraction of the cost, that may even look better..

·
Registered
330 Posts
As you had this issue earlier, I find myself looking up wheels that I like but do not have the correct offset. Example:

MERCEDES 19 INCH STAGGERD AMG 65 STYLE GUNMETAL RIMS BRAND NEW CL65 SL65 S65 | eBay

As you can see, the offset is 32mm front and 36mm rear. Can 10mm spacers be used in order to get the wheels in the factory spec range, or would doing this in turn lose some integrity from the wheel to hub? Also, lug bolts may need to be longer. As far as the tires go, since the aftermarket wheels seem to be all 8.5 and 9.5, I probably will do a larger set 255/ (F) and 275/ (R).

As for being a MB purist, i do carry that mindset somewhat. I own an Audi A4 B5 in gorgeous shape that i did not stray away from installing anything but Audi on that car from the suspension (Stasis, which are used currently on the A5/S5 models) to the S8 wheels that are currently on the car.

Ive gotten away from this a tad as its just too expensive to keep changing out OEM parts ( when the qaulity on some after market are actually better). With the Benz however, I cant justify spending $5000 on OEM 19" AMG's I can buy something very similar at a fraction of the cost, that may even look better..
Yeah, it's a struggle to find a wheel you like and in the right offset, but it's worth it in the end. I actually shopped for months for a set of staggered 19's and found nothing, but looking at 18's added a few more options and I found my current set.

Here's a 19 that's about as close as you'll probably get,. The lip looks huge in the pic, but due to the offset, there's quite a bit less lip on the wheel with the 45 offset. You could likely get a body shop to shoot the centers in that gunmetal gray the AMG rims have.

I have a new A5, but my wife drives it so I don't care what it looks like. There's an A4 in town with a Stasis package...it makes the car.

Spacers wouldn't help...you'd be going in the wrong direction. The lower the offset, the further out the wheel moves away from the hub. Spacers would further reduce offset, where you would need to add offset to a 32mm wheel. The easiest way to remember is that both "low" and "out" have three letters.

Have a look at these wheels by Stance: They're very clean looking, and they come in a C63 fitment (45mm).

·
Registered
330 Posts

TireRack.com, $692 for a set 19" Staggered. 44mm front offset, 46mm rear offset. Not sure about the hub bore, may require a hub ring

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey Guys,
I just purchased a set of AMG SLS Front wheels in 9,5 width and 59 offset...
And I will make them fit.
I will show you pics as soon as I have them on my car... :D

Here is are the first preview pics:

AMG SLS 19 Zoll Schmiederadsatz 9,5x19"H2 ET59 - Felgennummer: A197 401 0202 | eBay

thanks max
This would be a good example of an owner ignoring the fact that these are the wrong wheels for his car, but confident it'll all work out somehow. Where many owners make the mistake of picking a wheel based on appearance and end up with too low an offset, I think Max here saw "SLS" and made the opposite mistake.

The SLS is a specialty car that has way too high offsets for a CL. Those wheels are going to be tucked under the car 15mm more than stock. If you're going to go against the factory offset, go a little lower so the wheels come out more and at least improve the stance.

In other news, Max will have a nearly new set of AMG SLS rims for sale on eBay in about two weeks ;)

·
Registered
BMW Z4 M, MB CL 55 AMG
20 Posts
Hehe yes maybe they won`t, but I am confident.
I just have to take the right offset plates and it fits.

If it wont- I have the right to give them back- I know the guy personally and we talked it out before I bought them. :surrender:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hehe yes maybe they won`t, but I am confident.
I just have to take the right offset plates and it fits.

If it wont- I have the right to give them back- I know the guy personally and we talked it out before I bought them. :surrender:
Really big 15mm spacers and really long bolts. I know you can get a 15mm rear spacer but I'm not sure about the fronts. I guess if they mount up with the spacers and don't vibrate like crazy you'll be okay. Seems like you'd be better off just picking different wheels with a closer offset.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still looking for the right wheel to my CL, trying to stay within factory offsets as best as possible.

Mike you have PM. And I understand the offset number ratio when it comes too installing spacers now..

·
Registered
BMW Z4 M, MB CL 55 AMG
20 Posts
Really big 15mm spacers and really long bolts. I know you can get a 15mm rear spacer but I'm not sure about the fronts. I guess if they mount up with the spacers and don't vibrate like crazy you'll be okay. Seems like you'd be better off just picking different wheels with a closer offset.
Hi Mike,

got the new wheels on and everythingf works perfect...
No vibrations and it´s driving perfectly.

Got now:

SLS front wheels in 9,5/19
with 255/40 on the front and 285/35 in the rear....
I have done 350 miles on the german Autobahn with top speeds at nearly 160mph and it worked out great.

heres a little spy pic (I will make better photos the next days...)

Thanks Max

·
Registered
330 Posts
They look great on the car. Did you need spacers?

·
Registered
BMW Z4 M, MB CL 55 AMG
20 Posts
They look great on the car. Did you need spacers?
I think so too...
totally awesome.
I needed 15mm in the front and 20mm in the rear.
But in driving- no difference.
As I said- tested out to 160- no vibrations or anything.
Just perfect.
I´ll make a little presentation in a new thread...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I guess since you ended up at the factory offset after the spacers the car is happy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts