Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SL500, 2004 E320
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 summer tires on R129? If so, I would be curious what your impressions are. These are rated as ultra high performance and have good reviews but… what they feel like on Toyota Prius or some other compact, may not be very relevant for R129 driver.

I think I said in another tire thread that one can never go wrong with Michelins… oh well, I just did!

I bought a set of Pilot Sport A/S 3+ about 3 years ago, 12,500 miles and front tires are gone. Rear are nor far behind, maybe another 3-4 K. Very disappointing for tires rated at 45,000. Obviously I never expected 45,000 but… the way these tires wore out, rubber peeling off on the outside of the thread. I’ve never seen this on Michelins before.

I’ve never used Firestone tires. I usually go with Michelin or Continental but, I’m willing to try something new

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Premium Member
1998 Red SL500, 2002 Black SL500, 2014 Black E550 Cabriolet
1,458 Posts
3 Benz's...2 are SL's...one SL had since new. Gone through many sets of tires as have the majority of car owners.
Never had tires last the...miles stated by manufacturers. Not even half.
Michelins now...few years old.....the Pilot Sports...probably....8K on them...half the thread gone already using the quarter (.25) to check.
And I don't race red light to red light or brake hard, etc...
Even bought some Continentals...did not last the stated miles. And yet...some of you will say...we got more than the stated miles. Who knows why?
Could be heat...roads get HOT depending on where one lives...rubber and heat...going to wear quicker.
Phoenix roads...probably 3 times hotter vs Wisconsin roads in the summers...tires wear quicker I suppose..others will chime in...

·
Registered
M113 SL500
896 Posts
Has anybody used Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 summer tires on R129?
Eeergghh...I'd like to share but I haven't used them on my R129. Overall, pretty good tire for the money, but there's lots of reasons I'd go with something else. The AS3+ have been pretty widely reported to wear poorly, but I'd still try to get some mileage warranty credit from Michelin on a new set of Michelins instead of the Indy500's. The AS4 has been out for a while now. Also, I'm pretty sure if you're running staggered, Michelin's mileage warranty is pretty much halved.

BTW, I have 3 M113 V8 engine cars, and they all grind the hell out of the front shoulders if I run specified 32-33 (depending on car) PSI. So, I don't.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430, 2011 E350
5,058 Posts
I think firestone is now owned by Bridgestone so they’re really Bridgestone tires.

Haven’t tried them. I’ve had Michelin‘s on my SL since I got it 9 years ago. The mileage has never been what they are guaranteed but it’s been reasonable like 30,000 miles although these weren’t performance oriented Michelin‘s.

·
Registered
1999 SL600 | 2001 SL500 (sold)
1,741 Posts
When I had my sl500 I used Achilles tires from Walmart.com. They were highly rated and reviews said good performance. They definitely were good tires. They’re also extremely cheap ($360 for the complete staggered set of 4). Put like 20k miles on them and they appeared to still have a lot of life left when I sold it. It’s a summer tire though so they’re perfect for us but a nono for those in heavy rain and snow climates.

ive got $1k Michelin ps 4s on the sl600. They feel pretty much the same. Will go back to those Achilles when these tires die and will never buy anything else.

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
2,336 Posts
Honestly, modern max-performance tires are severe overkill on an R129.

Tire technology has evolved so exponentially from when these cars were first introduced that even a 600 will barely take advantage of 1/10th of their performance capability.

A high quality touring tire will give you everything these cars can throw that them, with the added benefit of lower cost, longer life, and more versatility.

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
1,323 Posts
As far as specs go
This tire (left rear 40 psi with 1500 miles) blew about 30 miles north of Gold Hill NV on 95 at 130 mph at 110 deg ambient three weeks ago. So back to Hankook tires after this. I'm not concerned with milage, only performance

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2000 SL500, 2004 E320
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But this completely different tire that you blew, I’m not sure what the connection is.

Anyway, I’m not paying $1,200 for set of Michelins that will only last 12,000 miles on my SL. I was always happy with them on sedans but this was my first time on SL… and most likely the last. Like I said I want to try something different.

·
Registered
M113 SL500
896 Posts
Hope somebody with actual experience with them on an R129 chimes in for you. Otherwise, if they tickle your curiosity, go for it.(y) Trying out different tires can be fun, so long as they don't wear out prematurely as you experienced with the AS3+ or blow out easily. Mine never blew out and haven't heard of this particular model being prone to it. Mine also lasted about 20k miles, but were pretty thread bare by then. My 2 cents are, for the price, they're pretty good tires, but uhp summer tires live in a zone that doesn't make sense to me. They typically don't last as long as a good all-season (barring your experience with your AS3+), usually aren't as quiet or comfortable as a good all season either (though the Indy500's aren't loud), don't have steering feel/grip/handle as well as a good max performance summer, don't necessarily last much longer than max performance summer tires, and are usually only a little cheaper. Perhaps you want something in this zone and prefer a sort of tweener. If so, I think they'd satisfy you. One thing specifically about the Indy500's is that like all Bridgestone/Firestone tires, they tend to run several pounds heavier per tire vs better tires in their competitive set. May or may not matter to you.

Just as an example, I've had Continental ECS and Indy500's. The ECS were better all around, I got about 18000 miles out of them. In 245/40/18 size for the front of my car, the Indy500's are spec'd at 3 lbs heavier per tire, and are a few bucks more than the ECS. As previously mentioned, Indy500's are a rebrand of an old Bridgestone from 7 years or so ago.

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
1,323 Posts
You stated (Come on now, these tires have load index of 99, exceeding factory recommended 95.)

I was pointing out the validity of relying on specs as to quality and performance of a tire And supplied real time experience with specs.

·
Registered
2000 SL500, 2004 E320
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hope somebody with actual experience with them on an R129 chimes in for you. Otherwise, if they tickle your curiosity, go for it.(y) Trying out different tires can be fun, so long as they don't wear out prematurely as you experienced with the AS3+ or blow out easily. Mine never blew out and haven't heard of this particular model being prone to it. Mine also lasted about 20k miles, but were pretty thread bare by then. My 2 cents are, for the price, they're pretty good tires, but uhp summer tires live in a zone that doesn't make sense to me. They typically don't last as long as a good all-season (barring your experience with your AS3+), usually aren't as quiet or comfortable as a good all season either (though the Indy500's aren't loud), don't have steering feel/grip/handle as well as a good max performance summer, don't necessarily last much longer than max performance summer tires, and are usually only a little cheaper. Perhaps you want something in this zone and prefer a sort of tweener. If so, I think they'd satisfy you. One thing specifically about the Indy500's is that like all Bridgestone/Firestone tires, they tend to run several pounds heavier per tire vs better tires in their competitive set. May or may not matter to you.

Just as an example, I've had Continental ECS and Indy500's. The ECS were better all around, I got about 18000 miles out of them. In 245/40/18 size for the front of my car, the Indy500's are spec'd at 3 lbs heavier per tire, and are a few bucks more than the ECS. As previously mentioned, Indy500's are a rebrand of an old Bridgestone from 7 years or so ago.
I appreciate the feedback, even though not form R129, it is still very valuable information. Like you said, they tickle my curiosity, the price is right… I ordered them from Costco on-line. I will get them next week… installation, balance and nitro inflation at Costco tire shop. Looking forward to trying them out.

·
Registered
2000 SL500, 2004 E320
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You stated (Come on now, these tires have load index of 99, exceeding factory recommended 95.)

I was pointing out the validity of relying on specs as to quality and performance of a tire And supplied real time experience with specs.
John,

With all due respect, your original post (Those tires don't belong on a 129 they have a habit of blowouts.) sounds kind of scary. Then you cite your experience with different tires, different car… under extreme conditions (speed, ambient temp) and over inflated tire pressure. Sounds to me like asking for trouble and getting your wish.

Anyhow, I’m getting these tires and I’ll see for myself.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts