Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 97 E320, its really clean inside, like id almost go as far as perfect. But the outside is a differnt story. Its clean with no dents or cracks in the paint, but there are some really small rock chips in the hood area and near the rear view mirrors. They were never taken care of so they have rust on them. Some are about the size of a pin head while others a bit bigger. If i run my finger on the spots i can feel them, almost like a tiny bubble. Most of my other vehicles have been full size trucks and SUVs, and i put about 80k miles a year on so a basic wash at the gas station was all i ever cared to do since ive never owned a car for more then 12 months. Now that i had this deal come by i didnt want to pass up. I got this thing for next to nothing, and would like to get it back to looking like a benz should. So any tips on how to remove the tiny rust spots would be a good start. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Hard to tell without looking at specific pictures but.....if it were me, I'd start with a small area to experiment with. Rubbing compound by hand or a buffer would probably remove the surface rust. However, there would also be paint missing in those areas. The touch up process can be as simple as dabbing paint with a fine brush or toothpick. Or, better yet, there are companies that specialize in DIY spot touch ups. Here are three excellent sites to check out:

1.http://www.touchup123.com/
2.paint chip repair and paint scratch repair
3.Dr. ColorChip fool-proof auto touch up paint kit for chip repair on your car- BMW,Ford,Honda,Mercedes,Porsche,Lexus,Toyota- all color codes

I would definitely use one of the above systems for paint touch up on larger areas. (This would be the last step before you would consider before professional re-painting on spot areas.)

Then, begin your journey into detailing and transforming your car. Do a search on this forum for all the fundamentals: washing, polishing, waxing, etc. There are hundreds of posts to choose from. Or, you can look at the sticky on 'Griots Detailing Manual' and other detailing charts - they have pages of info.

Finally, complete your profile with location, year-make-model, etc. It gives everyone a better idea of who and where you are!

Good luck and welcome to the BW detailing forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts