Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just picked up another BRIXMIS G, this time a 230GE 1988. It was returned to BGS in 91 used on general duties in Bonn until 97, since then it has been active in Kosvo on armed policing duties.
It is probably the most complete of it,s type because it was only decommisioned in 2002. "Mission Acomplished"
But it hasnt been as well maintained as I remember they where when in REME hands,Harald I need your help.
It developed a fuel leak in the usual place at the fuel pump, got it back to the UK and I have started inspecting the problem.
In UK Army service the fuel pump was noted as vulnerable and treated as a service item, changed every 3 months and its location cleaned and corosion treated.The imageshows the horror story. I couldnt find the accumulator in the ussual place followed the fuel pipes and found a boxed in cover which when opened a couple of components fell out, one I recognise as a accumulator the other I don,t, I have spoken to a fellow ex BRIX who was in block 40 Wkshp
who thinks it was a mod to prevent vapour lock due to the heat from the catalysor fitted to later 230 GEs.
When you look at this lot it has to be one of the worst design features of the G.

Attachments

·
Registered
'82 300gd
115 Posts
Bill is'nt the thing on the right with the blue sticker the main fuel filter,and the accumulator as you say is the cthing on the left
bob

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
whelanrob2002 - 4/18/2005 7:37 PM

Bill is'nt the thing on the right with the blue sticker the main fuel filter,and the accumulator as you say is the cthing on the left
bob
Agreed. 'Tis the fuel filter. On my 280GE the filer and accumulator were side by side, but not inside a box. On the G500, the filter and accumulator are a single can with four (4) hose nipple connectors.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Looks like it is the original fuel pump - nobody ever touched it before.

Problem is, that dirt can accumulate between the tank and its protective plate. And as we see, it even accumulates around the fuel pump.

Filter and accumulator were moved outside the left frame rail for whatever reason - could not have been heat, since the exhaust runs on the right.

Harald

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. It's all flooding back now. Filter alloy acu rusty.
Thanks Harald, early Gs had the filter/accu inside the chassis on a bracket, thats where the exhaust runs now, "pics" so that must be why they moved it, the box serves only to keep even more dirt in than out like the shield on the pump

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts