Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
E 250CDI Coupé ... and loving it.
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

I'm now driving about 3 months with my SLK, during which I also regulary wash my car (no carwash, only by hand with microfiber etc).
Now, yesterday I was driving in the sun, and I noticed some scratches because it reflected the sun. When looking better, I noticed them on various places, but only on my front window (windshield/windscreen). I'm really stunned, because this glass is normally realy hard, so it would be impossible to have cratches there without having them on the paint (even dow I clean my windshield more often). Also, I've washed my previous (MB C-coupe) car like this over 4 years, without a single scratch. And once you've noticed them, they draw your attention even more.

Now, the questions;
- does anyone know wheter this can be a kind of defect concerning bad quality glass?
- is there a way to remove/polish out those fine scratches?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
Tgo, It's possible that all you saw were normal imperfections present in any windshield, but more visible because of the intense sunlight. In fact, most windshields, when viewed into the sun, will appear to have small chips, when in fact nothing is visible, either from the inside or the outside, when viewed in more normal ambient light. They may be small air bubbles in the glass. If the scratches are not apparent in normal light, I would not be concerned about them. For minor streaks or scuff marks caused by the action of the windscreen wipers, I use a mild polish (I also use it with great results on my plastic prescription eyeglass lenses) called "Imperial Hand Glaze," made by 3M. Any good plastic polish (such as "Plexus") is good for this purpose. Good luck! Dinoman

·
Registered
E 250CDI Coupé ... and loving it.
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be verry happy if it would be only imperfections, but it are indeed scratches of several inches long, and when you go with your nail over the glass, you also feel them. :-(
Do you think those polishes can also hide scratches?

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
tgo said:
I would be verry happy if it would be only imperfections, but it are indeed scratches of several inches long, and when you go with your nail over the glass, you also feel them. :-(
Do you think those polishes can also hide scratches?
Zaino has a mild abrasive for the windshield. check out www.zainostore.com. It's called Z-12. Click on PRODUCTS at the top row menu.

·
Registered
SLK200K
89 Posts
I have had the same problems with my SLK200 from 2004. Miljon of small dots. Mostly anoying in bright sunlight. Already after 6 month I noticed them, and after one and a half year it was terrible. Then I hit a moose and the windshield was replaced. Now after about 3 month the same starts again. No problems with my previous car, a C-class w203 1002. The glass must be of a different lower quality type now.
/Bengt

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
113 Posts
I have about a 5" scratch in mine as well. They just don't make them like they use too. It is all about cutting cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts