Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have been recently looking for an aftermarket rear muffler for the car. I really want the sebring w126 found on german ebay recently, but he won't ship to the US[:(!] My other options are: 1) a universal fit from remus/sebring, 2)magna flow 3) supersprint, the closes one is r107, or 4) flowmaster
None of these makers make one for our model and if they do it is discontinued or extremely hard to get, will putting one of these makes on the car hinder performance or create an unwanted back pressure? also many shops tell me the cars rear muffler is 2 in and 2out. most universals are 1 in 1 or 2 out. one shop wanted to make existing two pipes into one just to fit it on a universal.
i have decided if i do get a rear muffler upgrade i will: get a magnaflow which makes a 2in 2out muffler, buy nice looking tips, have them welded on, then powdercoat black the muffler except the tips. lastly which aftermarket muffler would sound best and i already took off the center resonators. any advice would be great.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I'm surprised you can't find a flowmaster that's a 2 in 2 out affair. I can't remember, have you done away w/ the kidney bean's in your exhaust? They are one of the biggest points of restriction.

Jonathan

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i took out the center resonators, i got a hold of the guy from germany, he said he would sell me the sebring muffler for 600 euros, which comes out to 772.65 usd including shipping.[:0] i;m going to try to bring the price down around 500 usd. will i get a good sound from a flow master?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Ouch!!! Honestly, that muffler doesn't appeal but so much..it weighs more then the stock unit and I've heard them in person..didn't do much for me.

I personally love the way flowmasters sound.. gives a nice burble at idle aand a nice clean V8 sound when you get on it.

Jonathan

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
If its a W126 specific Sebring with the dual inlet pipes and factory bends to the rear axle, its the same as the AMG muffler for the W126, just has Sebring tips. I used to have one on my car but sold it with the AMG headers to a guy with the screename "sheepalert." Jonathan, was the Sebring you heard on a 500 or 560 with or without the center resonators? My father-in-law has a Sebring on his 560SEC but left the resonators on and you really can't hear much of a difference unless its on full throttle. My car had no resonators and with the headers it had a nice low tone at idle and sounded wicked at full throttle.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I remember that shepalert fellow..haven't heard/seen from him in some time.

Not really sure how the car I heard was set up.. It was an AMG 560 and the fellow put his foot into it off the line..It made noise, but nothing overly impressive.

Didn't burble as nicely as my 560SEL w/ a gutted US sytem running only the rear std. muffler...

Jonathan

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the input. now i might just get a flowmaster. Do you know which model to get. Is there a specific 2 in 2 out rear muffler i need to get. thanks!

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
But i thought you were looking for the smoother sound? the flowmaster burbles like a chevy. which is nice...but not what you are looking for??

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
makes a bit difference which series you go w/...

Jonathan

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i guess it comes down to this...1)the guy from germany is asking 700usd for the sebring exhaust take a look (ebay item number 4538093769) which includes shipping. I did take out my center resonators and it will produce the sound i want, i believe. or 2) flowmaster does make a 2 in 2 out muffler which is a 50 series for suv, trucks and early era muscle cars. i will save alot of money if i go with the flowmaster, but i think my chance of buying the sebring later down the road would be slim since many are telling its a discontinued make and model. What would you do jhodg5ck or anyone else in the forum. thanks for your opinnions!

·
Premium Member
89' 560SEL, 92' 300CE
417 Posts
I remember hearing a while back that the 70series was nice on our cars. I really wanna look into doing something soon. I already gutted my cat, but need to get rid of my resonators. I was kinda hesitant until my muffler hangers all popped. When I went to put the new hangers on, that's when I noticed how heavy it is. Crap, I had to get my hydraulic jack under it so I could get it up as high as I needed. I'll do something soon (whenever I get my tranny straight). It's getting rebuilt as I type and as you read [:p]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts