Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got together with the owner's father here in PA (had to get a POA form to the owner to send to his father to sell the car), got insurance, and got plates and title on the car and drove it the 35 miles back home.

I have a LOT of questions--

#1--there is a good bit of rear end noise. The prior owner told me his mechanic said it needed the Differential Replaced and a wheel bearing. The noise sounds like it is coming from the right rear wheel (probably the bearing). However, the noise seems to be equal at all speeds (from 10mph on to 70mph). Wondering how much noise comes from the rear of these cars on a regular basis?

#2--Accelleration is terrible. Wondering the best way to shift (auto tranny) to better the accelleration. Should I start out in 3rd? 2nd?.

#3--Driver's side window doesn't work (no noise, etc). Wondering how to get the switch out to check it to see if that is the problem before I go looking for a whole window mechanism.

And, Finally---is there a link to Fluid specs for these cars (rear gear oil, what tranny fluid, etc)?

Thanks!!

AFARR

·
Registered
1991 W124.128
136 Posts
Hi,
had an 190D, 85 for 12 years.
Can say when in good order no noise from the rear end.
Car underpowered but will reach permitted speed limits easily. Just learn to live with it that other cars are faster. Doesn't matter what you drive there is always a faster car. However, you are driving a safe comfortable one with very good fuel consumption and you will pass most of the other cars and the next gas station. I am using Quaker 15-40 HD diesel oil and MB dealers in Canada have been using this as well. However,
You can buy Chevron oil at Costco's at a good price. Would look for a used diff - check with PGAuto in Maryland. Only other thing I can say change oil and filter regularly and the engine will last a long time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
#3 Use a small pick type tool to carfuly pry the switch upwards then out. The easy way to test is take the passanger side switch out to and plug it into the drivers side and see if it works.

For the diff. it takes Quality 80-90w hypod oil.
dont think the car came with limited slip diff so thats not an issue.

For the trans. use Dextron 3 Quality brand.

You may want to change the fuel filters and run some Lubromolly high test through it and then just enjoy the great milage

Others may have more info and suggestions keep posted.

Congrats on the new car

1 - 3 of 3 Posts