Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up a 2002 for the misses, and have had our share of niggles which in the end were related to the carrier bearing. It was a bit disheartening for her to be driving the old Volvo 240 wagon while I acquired parts and worked the Merc over, but, now that we are having a record cold and snowy winter here in the northland the investment is really paying off.

Over the 30+ years of driving these roads up here in Alaska I have to say that the ML is the best winter car I've ever experienced. A foot of fresh snow? Bah. Those big piles of snow at the corners in unplowed subdivisions? A doddle. Glare ice at intersections? Press the brake pedal and stop straight, true and quickly. Black ice on the highway? Tracks like it's on rails. I am waiting for the local lakes to freeze up enough for the ice roads to be plowed out to see what it takes to get the rig out of shape. It is a ridiculously competent winter vehicle and if it got better fuel economy I'd swap my V50 for one as a DD.

Now, we'll see how I feel when it next throws up a hairball but for now hers indoors is well pleased. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Well, that's surely a ringing endorsement! Thanks for sharing.

I had the chance to drive a 164-body ML for a period and I can tell you, when MB went to a car frame from a truck frame, it changed the function of the ML. Not for the better.

I think the 163-body will be the favored one in the future.

Good luck with the record cold/snow in AK!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts