Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
79K, just tripped over in the last two days.
The flash on the camera worked when it wasn't supposed too, but it is a DSLR so they have more depth.

Attachments

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
^^^ Another fine example.
Congrats

Now, get that top off'n her and go for a drive!

·
Registered
1987 560SL
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow....

Those cars could be sisters! What a great looking car. Is this a 560? I can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL
973 Posts
Pardon the interruption...

I like the color. And some of the other similarities. Just tripped over 81K two days ago.
Sorry to interrupt the thread, but Skylaw, how much free play, sweep-wise, do you have in those wipers? Between those two photos it looks like you might have as much as I did--3 to 4 inches at the tip of the wiper- before I fixed the very loose pivot behind the instrument cluster. The culprit was one of two M6 bolts missing and the other loose by several turns. I caught mine before it did any damage, but it was close to falling out and tearing up who-knows-what-all under the dash.

Okay, I'm through. And back on topic, that's a sharp looking litter-mate to my '87, M.

Good road,

Attachments

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Those cars could be sisters! What a great looking car. Is this a 560? I can't tell the difference.
No, mine is a '78 450SL. There are quite a few differences, especially beneath the sheet metal.

I had it out this week - put about 150 miles on it in one day, and it was running sweet - TDWD. A beautiful day - the wife loved it!

We went over to Polk City (halfway between Tampa and Orlando) to a place called Fantasy of Flight - a private collection of beautifully restored airplanes, both civilian and military, U.S. and European - many flyable. For anyone who likes airplanes, I strongly recommend it if you're in central Florida.

Tons of photos, of course - but this one is an airplane I'd almost trade my 107 for...

Attachments

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Sorry to interrupt the thread, but Skylaw, how much free play, sweep-wise, do you have in those wipers? Between those two photos it looks like you might have as much as I did--3 to 4 inches at the tip of the wiper- before I fixed the very loose pivot behind the instrument cluster. The culprit was one of two M6 bolts missing and the other loose by several turns. I caught mine before it did any damage, but it was close to falling out and tearing up who-knows-what-all under the dash.

Okay, I'm through. And back on topic, that's a sharp looking litter-mate to my '87, M.

Good road,
There isn't much free play, but they may need some adjustment. In the pic with the hard top, I had just brought it home, and done no work on it at all. The pic with the top down shows where they normally park now - a little high, but it avoids contact with stickers I must display on the windshield. But I'll check the pivots. Thanks! - especially for the pic.

Back to Marquisestelle's neat car!

·
Registered
1987 560SL
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Can't see if on the outside...

They are nine years apart and yet look virtually identical on the outside. Is your boot metal or leather? They both have the same side molding. You're actually doing better than me because your car looks just as good but is nine years older and only a few more miles, so yours is more rare, so hats off to you friend, you've got the better aged specimen.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
They are nine years apart and yet look virtually identical on the outside. Is your boot metal or leather? They both have the same side molding. You're actually doing better than me because your car looks just as good but is nine years older and only a few more miles, so yours is more rare, so hats off to you friend, you've got the better aged specimen.
Thanks for the kind words, but yours is the more valuable of the two. 450's aren't particularly rare (in the U.S), and they lack much of the later mechanical and electronic refinement that makes the 560 desirable. And mine has ACCII (air conditioning system controls) that are notoriously unreliable (though mine are working, thank goodness - at least, for the moment). Here's a bit more opinion on the best of the 107's - http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1477722-there-best-year-107-sl.html - and of course, there are the AMGs.

The one good thing is that mine runs beautifully, and except for one disastrous day when I drove too slowly for too long on a very hot day with too little fuel in the tank (inducing a vapor lock situation), it always has.

My soft top storage compartment is metal with leather trim toward the interior.

·
7,166 Posts
My soft top storage compartment is metal with leather trim toward the interior.
Aren't all 107's such? ...and I have read that, unless changed out, the material is MBTEX, not leather. This I do not know for sure. I know my upholstery is leather, but the door panels and seat backs, as well as the boot covering, is MBTEX (also the rear seat).

·
Registered
1987 560SL
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Question...

I live in Mississippi and we have zero emission laws. I've had a 'test pipe' fitted to my Fiat and with a more open air filter it made a difference.

I'm thinking it will not be so easy with the 560 because the computer is going to be looking for some feedback from that cat, and will not like if it is gone.

What are the standard modifications one would do that are healthy and give a boost in power?

·
7,166 Posts
I live in Mississippi and we have zero emission laws. I've had a 'test pipe' fitted to my Fiat and with a more open air filter it made a difference.

I'm thinking it will not be so easy with the 560 because the computer is going to be looking for some feedback from that cat, and will not like if it is gone.

What are the standard modifications one would do that are healthy and give a boost in power?
The 560 couldn't care any less about whether a cat is in place or not. The O2 sensor is upstream. The feds, on the other hand...

Simply stated, the 560 doesn't really have a computer in the likes of a 90's and above... It is a modest set of control units at best. The O2/EZL/EHA, etc is pretty primitive compared to today's standards, but was fairly advanced in the day. What I consider the marvel of the entire system is the fuel distributor. How it actually works is still largely a mystery to me, albeit I can imagine I understand, when I read/review its workings and peruse the diagrams. The CIS (and in the 560's case, CIS-E) injection system constantly squirts fuel into the manifold, to be drawn in by the cyls on the intake stroke (as opposed to pulsed injection, timed to the intake cycle of each cylinder). In the CIS-E, The amount of fuel supplied is in response to the air flow meter plate, manipulating the fuel control rod in the FD, in proportion to the air drawn down thru it and thru the throttle body below. The relative fuel pressure across the diaphragm is modulated, by the EHA, in response to the throttle position (and therefore the position of the air meter plate, ergo the fuel control rod), in accord with the input from the O2 sensor. Because of the reliance to airflow being so critical, vacuum leaks wreak havoc on the system, as any un-metered air is registered by the O2, but not the other devices upstream. Others who are more familiar with the system can provide a much better explanation, and refute what I garbled up here in this simple overview. I believe I read similar systems are used in the Ferraris of the same vintage, but do not know about the Fiats, so forgive me if this is old news to you. I do know similar systems are used in the VW, the Volvo, and the Porsche of the same vintage...

Only the D-Jet of early years of the 107, 1974-1976 If I recall correctly, had electronic injection. Some would say it didn't fair too well, due in part to what I think was a system being ahead of its time.

Certainly other opinions may (will) vary...

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts

·
Premium Member
'91 560SEL, '88 560SL, '87 300SDL, '98 E320, '82 300TD..... '91 350SDL (RIP) totalled
92 Posts
Hey Marq,
Mechanics aside (which is not done lightly), 3 immediate clues without batting an eye are visible in discerning the difference between a 450sl and a 560sl. 1) the air dam is new for '86-89 2) the 'bunt' rims are pre 560sl and 3) the headrests...Notice that the 450sl has a concave curvature whereas the 380sl/560sl's, not so much

1 - 18 of 18 Posts