Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally saw an ML350 today; it was black in color. The one thing that surprised me more than anything was how big it was. In the pictures, the Benz looks very puny and small. It's amazing that the car has been designed to look small, yet it's actually bigger in person.

That's not to say that I don't think the tires look puny and small. In fact, I think that if the vehicle was lifted to fit 35 inch tires, it would be more proportionate overall, rather than the weak (and small) tires that come standard on the vehicle.

Also, I'm curious why Mercedes didn't make the rear tail lights longer? IMHO they look badly matched against the rest of the vehicle (meaning they look too small and square for a vehicle this size).

Overall, nice truck once fitted with larger tires. [:)]

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
i saw a ml500 for the first time this weekend at a local area dealer ,,, and i agree with brent, it DID look bigger than it does in the pix. i liked it and i'm not an suv guy. this 500 had the 19 inch tyres, and it looked phat!

it was black with the charcoal alcantara ,,, looked really really good. the interior looked very upscale especially compared to the 'football' leather, which looked sort of cheap, in my opinion, that comes with the 'full leather' package.

the rear tail lights had (what appeared to be) a slight subtle smoke tint to them which set off their appearance from that of the ml350. and the front rear skid plates looked much better in person as well ,,, much more integrated than what i was led to believe from the pix.

i tell ya ,,,if i wasn't so afraid of first year gremlins in the new model years that benzo puts out (a perception (which equals reality!!) problem i blame squarely on benzo!!), i'd go trade my 03 e500 sport for one of these ml500s. it looked good! but i need a car that will actually work ,,, not just look good shining in the lights of my dealership's repair garage.

another year or two, maybe, on this one. well ,,, then the new s-class will be out! oh, boy!

cheers, ajm

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Agree with above. I have to disagree with the 35" tires though...come on, Brent! [:D]

A very nice SUV overall. I think that it is a definite step forward from the previous minivan-like shape.

·
Registered
2007 GL320CDI
357 Posts
ajm0623 - 4/19/2005 6:50 AM

the rear tail lights had (what appeared to be) a slight subtle smoke tint to them which set off their appearance from that of the ml350.
cheers, ajm
The appearance pkg comes with the smoke tail lens on both the 350 and 500. What you saw was a 500 with the appearance pkg. [:)]

·
Registered
2001 ML 430
310 Posts
I have yet to see a 06 ML on the Los Angeles freeways. I live close to 3 different Benz dealers. Has anyone in LA taken delivery of their 06 MLs yet?

·
Registered
2013 ML-63 AMG, 2010 C350 4matic
221 Posts
I finally saw both ML500 Silver Iridium and ML350 Pewter Siver at my dealer. Both were fully loaded. I liked the shape and design and fully agree with those who mentioned before that photos do not make them justice. The exterior trim change between both models is subtle and only an expert will tell the difference. Two things caught my attention:
1)The radio sensitivity is still bad even for the Logic-7 System. This have been a MB plague since 25 years.
2)God save me from those ugly huge cupholders. I am one of those who never use cupholders when driving. I even removed the cupholders from my E320 and used that nice space for storing my driving gloves. I understand those who use Cup Holders and have plenty of respect for them, but MB should make it easier for us to order the European version which comes with a closed storage space. I will do whatever it takes to get that.
Other points: The Seats were comfy but I would prefer the controls to be on the door and not on side, Ingress and Outgress easier than anything I have seen so far, Control Panel better loking than photos etc..
This dealer still does not have demos for Test Drive hence I will Test Drive drive both models in June. If by June I do not read or hear about serious bugs then I will order one with my own configuration.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE: jean7of9

Those cupholders will be replaced by the Mercedes I-Drive type controller in the future. In the European W164 model, cupholders are absent, so I'm assuming the box can be unscrewed, removed and replaced.

No worries. [:D]

·
Registered
2013 ML-63 AMG, 2010 C350 4matic
221 Posts
Brent: Thanks. I would rather let it be done at the factory if possible to make sure the cover is matching. I remember when MB started selling after market Gearshift in Burl Wood for the E-Class, they never matched the original wood. The color, grain and shine was so different I opted out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts