Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1982 416 Doka
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally was able to pickup my 1979 416 Doka today and drive it home.
I was worried about the paperwork & customs ect. I found that the shipping company had a customs broker in house who happened to be a military vehicle buff. I ended up with a "tractor" and paid 0 duty. : )
It basically started right up and drove it home. I did find that the air regulator behind the cab driver side appears to be frozen or bad. i just put a rubber hose in place of it to get the air assist brakes working. Thanks again to Robthebrit< Kevin & James for coming and helping.
I am sure i will be asking some newbie questions in the next few weeks, so be gentle...:surrender:

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
Congratulations on finding and getting a DOKA.Now the fun really starts.

There is a military vehicle get together June 8th in Irwindale.
I'm planning on taking the U1450L over there to mingle...

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
What you said about "tractor" concerns me. If it is listed as a tractor you may not be able to get it registered for road use over 25 miles from your home/farm. Each state is little different on how far from home a "tractor" can travel.

·
Registered
1982 416 Doka
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What you said about "tractor" concerns me. If it is listed as a tractor you may not be able to get it registered for road use over 25 miles from your home/farm. Each state is little different on how far from home a "tractor" can travel.
Geo, you worry too much...lol
I also have bill of sale title ect that say 416 mercedes...it will be a truck when i want a truck.

·
Registered
1982 416 Doka
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not sure what it did in it's previous life. I was told it sat on the lot ( in Gaggenau) for two years and it was a deal that fell through.
How can i find out? I think it was in belgium before germany. I will get interior shots soon, the interior is rough and will get stripped and insulated in the next few weeks.
the hand throttle is not working , i will replace it soon.
I am also going to need tires, anyone nearby have 4 or 5 14.5 R20 tires in decent shape??

·
Registered
79 Case 406
408 Posts
Congratulations Doc,

You certainly paid some dues getting it here. In the end did you save money buying in Europe and shipping versus buying a DOKA stateside ? Look forward to see your progress with it.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts