Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,358 Posts
Wait for a black one. There are tons of them. You just have to be patient. I wanted a Gen II SEC in blue on blue (Roadhouse) or 040 Black on black. While I found one that was black on black it was a Gen I grey market Euro car. Being a little flexible might be important, but do not compromise.

You don't want to restore an interior. A cracked dash, dried out wood, shit leather car is going to disappoint you and be insanely expensive to sort.

That all being said, you can always buy the ADVchina guys' Black 420SEL, which they bought for a grand and "fixed up." :) Of course, they may have sold it already. These vids are from their Worthless Whips channel.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,061 Posts
A quick question to the OP. Have you driven a w126 LWB as in SEL yet? If not you may want to spend some time behind the wheel. Being around these cars daily and for many years most owners get full enjoyment from these cars on the highway. Maneuvering around modern parking lots etc. can be a bit of a challenge for many. In town fuel economy barely reaches the teens as well. As the 560SEL has upgrades like rear reclining seat with heaters most owners have never ridden in the back seats. I generally have 2-3 around and must say I have only been in the back seat while the car is moving a couple times in the last 10 years. My suggestion is to test drive every one near you to get a reference. Mike

Reactions: AxelWulff

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,327 Posts
New York is a better market for a nice black SEL. They were stored inside, unlike CA where they bake until toasty. And, miles are always low because no one really drives in NY. and, black was a more popular color on the East Coast.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts