Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
600 Posts
the injectors arent necessarily a major worry. The internal springs within the injectors that prevent fuel from dripping into the cylinders when the car is off, can wear out over the years and can contribute to long/hard starts after the car has stopped for awhile. That was my personal experience with mine. And a set of 8 Bosch are not overly expensive at all, and are a fairly easy job to replace. (dont strip the allens on the retaining bracket that holds them in). But the fact that he simply doesnt replace them (combined with him not taking the time to fix the sunroof, combined with what is listed as 6 total owners?) sends a certain message not befitting of a car priced at the upper end of the range..

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
600 Posts
re: market value....Lower miles, but similar to the one being discussed? Not sure what the final selling price was, but I suspect this specfic dealer didnt lower pricing much.

However, This one looks like it might be inline with what OP is seeking?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,481 Posts
the injectors arent necessarily a major worry. The internal springs within the injectors that prevent fuel from dripping into the cylinders when the car is off, can wear out over the years and can contribute to long/hard starts after the car has stopped for awhile. That was my personal experience with mine. And a set of 8 Bosch are not overly expensive at all, and are a fairly easy job to replace.
Agreed. They're easy enough to change. But the mention of the them is the worry.
I'd bet its been all gummed up and maybe a left over running problem somewhere.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,481 Posts
The trouble with these cars is that for some reason they can sometimes look fabulous in pictures or even in person, whilst having loads of problems. My SEC looked fantastic, but had rust all over, and big bits too. It just didn't seem noticeable.

Once you add in a good photographer or good light, chances are the car will make you want to buy it.

PPI solves this problem of course. But buyer beware, so easy to get taken in.

Reactions: lesguy

·
Registered
270 Posts
Absolutely agree! Unless the paint is really far gone, even an average W126 will polish up really nicely with a bit of elbow grease. Same is true of all Benzes of this era, really.

The trouble with these cars is that for some reason they can sometimes look fabulous in pictures or even in person, whilst having loads of problems.

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,145 Posts
Jonbobby all the cars you’ve posted are $3-4K cars tops . Mostly being sold by flippers . You need to find the actual owners before they are being flipped for profit .

At 7-10k you should be getting a car with dark orange instrument needles , dark flawless wood perfect paint and likely under 100k miles .

don’t even consider Anything over 150k miles that’s more than $5k unless restored .

·
Registered
Future owner, 17 year fanatic
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #108

Thoughts? It's interesting because this listing started at $7901, went all the way down to $4790, went up to $9176, and is now at $8899. Haha!

I think it's worth maybe $2000. It's had MULTIPLE owners, and I highly doubt there's any maintenance records. I see the rear sagging, so.. SLS would be an issue.

I'm just always curious about what y'all see/think.

Below is another listing of what I believe is the same car, with a few different pictures.

Happy Saturday!

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,145 Posts
Faded gauge needles , faded shifter wood , it’s a $3000 car tops .

I Don’t know If you are focusing on used car dealers but all they do is buy these at auction for $500 and list them for $8000... you’ll never find a good car at a good price At a used car dealer . Buy Directly from an owner (or family of a deceased owner )

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes that is probably the same car, from about 10 years ago. Those 2040-cars.com ads stay up forever. I'm pretty sure the ad for the 190E I bought in 2013 is still up.

As @tusabes says, you are probably best served by avoiding dealers all together. They are likely picking up cars like this for peanuts (from auctions or taking them in on trade) and hoping for a quick flip. Personally, I would only ever buy a W126 from a dealer if it was a boutique-type place specializing in older German cars.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,358 Posts
Listen to these guys. DO NOT buy from a dealer. You are going to have to purchase directly from an owner. It's not easy and takes time and perseverance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I always appreciate your thoughts!! Yeah, I wasn't necessarily thinking of buying this one.

Just browsing around, is all.

I like knowing from y'all what you think :)

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,481 Posts
I would echo the same about the dealers. Even buying a car for my other half, its exactly the same. But you have to snap up the sweet bargain cars before the dealers do.
I found they literally didn't even vacuum them out or anything, they are just basically flipping.

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
3,011 Posts
If you can do without the power rear seat, magicbigdaddy's 420 looks cosmetically great. He just posted in Craigslist thread.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,481 Posts
Looks lovely in the pictures

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
@humblejoe.. dang.. yeah, I'm only looking at the 560s. They have so many more features, it's almost unfair haha! Heated seats front and back, dual horn, reclining back seat, nicer wood.

I think it's just really amazing that in 1990/91, those options were available.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Hey OP, take a look at this one:

If I could afford it, I'd be all over it myself :)
I'm getting pickier and pickier.. I think the color is unique, but not my style haha!!

I think I literally just want a black one.

But on that note, how expensive would it be to completely repaint a vehicle to a different color? Let's say I find a white one or a brown one that I really like, it's within price range, but really want to change it to black.

A.) Is that a taboo time to do?
B.) Would it not be worth it, and I just wait for a black one?

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,061 Posts
Color change unless done perfect will devalue the car by 30-50%. Color change paint job done right $8-$12k. That would be a car that has no evidence of a color change and the complete engine bay would need to be stripped of all components/engine etc. Not the best idea. Wait for the color you want.

Reactions: fanboy
101 - 120 of 128 Posts