Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

Registered
1991 560SEL
Some more for you to consider. I haven't read these ads in full, so I have no idea how good these cars are. That's for you to figure out, but as time allows, I and others will help out.

I don't think you should pay more than $10K though. And that's for a car very near perfect. (Matter of opinion; others may very well differ.)
If we are talking about 1991 560 SEL's (the specific year and model the OP referenced in his first post), then if anyone finds a listing for a 1991 560 SEL that's very near perfect condition for $10k or less? PLEASE send me that ad. Strong chance that I would buy it... IMMEDIATELY. :)

Knowing what I know about these cars now, after doing a ton of work sorting? I couldnt recommend that anyone buy from one of those little independent lots. It's not cost effective for them to go through and sort out all (or even, most) of the things that need to be done to these cars. So while they may clean up nicely in pics, the gremlins ARE hiding.

Registered
Future owner, 17 year fanatic
Discussion Starter #82
If we are talking about 1991 560 SEL's (the specific year and model the OP referenced in his first post), then if anyone finds a listing for a 1991 560 SEL that's very near perfect condition for $10k or less? PLEASE send me that ad. Strong chance that I would buy it... IMMEDIATELY. :)
That's exactly what I'm looking for, and would buy it immediately too... 馃.. quite literally why I've been posting here.

Registered
Discussion Starter #83
I'm trying to figure out if you're joking or not.

Because you have a near perfect 1991 560SEL that you're wanting to sell for much more than $10k....... Hmm...

Registered
1991 560SEL
I'm trying to figure out if you're joking or not.

Because you have a near perfect 1991 560SEL that you're wanting to sell for much more than $10k....... Hmm...
My point? If ANYONE finds a $10k or less "near perfect" 1991 560SEL? He/or she should JUMP on that price. I most certainly would!

Registered
Discussion Starter #85
My point? If ANYONE finds a $10k or less "near perfect" 1991 560SEL? He/or she should JUMP on that price. I most certainly would!
Ooohh gooottt yaa.. yeah.

Pick me! I'm down for that! Hah

Premium Member
1990 300SEL
@johnbobby You also should consider how much patience and capacity you would have for fixing it up after purchase. If you don't have wrenching skills and don't have a relationship with a mechanic, of course you should get a car closer to perfect. But for me -- I have so many cars and know so many shadetree mechanics who give me a good deal -- that I'd prefer to buy a cheaper car and just assume upfront that everything needs replacing, rather than buy a more expensive car and hope that it doesn't.

I have a Disco2 that I (with the help of a mechanic) bought at LA Copart for $1,000, with the assumption that everything needs replacing. We did replace absolutely everything, from the engine to the driveshaft to the brake calipers to the coolant hoses to the transfer case. Because we were able to get a good deal on parts and I got a good deal on labor from my mechanic friend, it was still a lot cheaper than getting a Disco2 in pristine condition on the forums. And I'm confident that everything has been replaced, because I've seen it myself, and I'm not just trusting the previous owner. But again: it requires having some patience, having some purchasing acumen, and either knowing a mechanic or being one yourself.

Registered
Discussion Starter #87

I found this one yesterday on Facebook. The owner is local, and I may go check it out on Thursday. The price is steep, so I'm working on the price with him. I asked him a bunch of questions, and this was his answer:

I already know y'all will warm me about the sunroof.. I'm looking at threads to see how it can be fixed

"It is a 560 sel. Marketplace did not list 560 so I picked 600 instead.....as far as I know I am the 3rd owner...I have a decent amount of maintenance records. Since I am a foreign car mechanic I performed most of the work myself since purchasing the car....sunroof should be a relatively quick fix, just have not had time for it....timing chains were checked when valve cover gaskets were replaced and are well within spec....this car has zero rust.....door hinges operate perfectly and doors close like bank vaults....self leveling suspensions 100% in tact and was overhauled and fully serviced....let me know if you have any other questions. I will be listing the vehicle tomorrow on eBay as well. Thanks for your interest, and yes I know the value of these cars pretty well. In its current condition it is worth every penny."

If I even were considering it, I would take it to the same shop that worked on my SAABs, Southwest Auto, in Dallas for a PPI.

Thoughts?

SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
PPI for sure. I can't tell what the paint looks like, just the one picture that I can't zoom in on? Not sure it looks great but it could be the picture.

I'm guessing it sat, and unfortunately the whole fuel system gummed up or something. Sadly I'd be a bit wary.

Registered
1991 560SEL
$17.5k and it's got 108k miles on it?

Lol.
Assuming EVERYTHING is working (including sunroof) and all mechanical issues sorted/no work needed, clean carfax, and interior/exterior excellent condition? Not out of the range/ballpark of market value. On the higher end, but within range.

Remember: old saying: a used cars value ultimately, is what a buyer is willing to pay

Registered
It looks like a nice car, but I think 17.5k is out of line with the market. My prediction: it's going to sit on CL for a month while he bats away offers with his "I know what I've got" line, and he's eventually going to accept an offer around 9-11k.

Also, he's a mechanic, right? He probably bought it off a customer for 5k, changed the plugs/wires/oil and a gave it a nice detail.

Registered
1991 560SEL
It looks like a nice car, but I think 17.5k is out of line with the market. My prediction: it's going to sit on CL for a month while he bats away offers with his "I know what I've got" line, and he's eventually going to accept an offer around 9-11k.

Also, he's a mechanic, right? He probably bought it off a customer for 5k, changed the plugs/wires/oil and a gave it a nice detail.
valid points. And if he鈥檚 a 鈥渕echanic鈥 that鈥檚 truly familiar with these? He鈥檇 use his skills to fix the sunroof...

from my experience (I鈥檝e bought, refreshed, kept, and then sold quite a few German cars) if one is wishing to get upper end of range? All features must be operable. And full refresh history must be documented.

Registered
1991 420 SEL
To toss in my .02, the 'timing chain in spec' doesn't really address the timing chain issue with the guides. Just a thought. It is a very nice car price aside

Pete

Registered
Discussion Starter #95
Ha!! Well, it's a toss in the water now.. he just responded back to me saying this:

"Ebay listing is live and I have already gotten 2 offers. Let's hold off for now and see how the auction does. I don't mind selling locally, but quite frankly I don't want to spend half a day or more at a service station in Dallas somewhere doing a pre purchase inspection on a 30 year old car and then waiting on bank financing. Car is available for a test drive and you can take it to a local Fort Worth MB dealership anytime"

I wasn't going to be waiting for bank financing, but that's how he interpreted me saying, "I will need to go to the bank and pull resources".

And I stated that I was going to do a PPI at a shop I trusted.. that seems reasonable, right? 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Discussion Starter #96
Here's the eBay link if anyone wants to follow it haha.. goodness.. I try to be reasonable and understanding and firm, and I just don't get any good responses.. oh well!

W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
For $17,500, you'd think he'd make sure all the wheel center caps actually matched. Kudos to him for actually at least vacuuming out the car, as I'm used to seeing cars with $10K asking prices with coins, dirt, wrappers, etc., scattered about in the interior.

Judging by the S123 in the background, the seller has likely visited this forum before, and for all we know could still be a semi-active member.

Reactions: johnbobby

SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
It's nice inside. The needles suggest kept inside, or left in a barn for ages hence all the fuel system needing help.
The mention of injectors worries me.

Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
That car is hugely overpriced. Examples that are far nicer have sold for less in the last six months. Not that it is bad. It is pretty clean looking. But it's not an SEC and therefore not worth that asking price. A ppi would be an absolute must.

Be patient. One will come along. I speak from experience. Twice. :)

81 - 100 of 128 Posts