Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
Future owner, 17 year fanatic
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all!

I'm John-Robert, and for roughly 17 years, I've been fascinated with the 560SEL's, specifically a '91, because it was the last year. Well, I'm finally in the process of buying one this week!! I'm from Texas, and this one is in Kentucky.

I'm from the SAAB world, having had 3 in the past, and I was really active in a Land Rover Discovery forum back in college.

I'm curious if there's a place y'all use to run a VIN, and also, quite honestly, if y'all know of this particular car: Used 1991 Mercedes-Benz 560 for Sale in Louisville KY 40220 Gordon Motor Sports

This would be the one I'm buying. I'm doing paperwork tomorrow!

I've been reading all the different threads, and watched so many videos. Y'all have been a silent angel over the last few years, as I just keep reading y'all's material. It's a dream come true to be able to finally own one!!!

Any new advice for a new owner??

Thanks so much, everyone!!

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,482 Posts
Welcome, my advice is to hang out and absorb the archives😊

Ps Saabs are nice too.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,482 Posts
Fabulous looking car.just needs the shifter console sorting out. Easy.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,603 Posts
Looks great, johnbobby. Have you had a professional check it out? Never know what might be lurking. Will you be doing your own work on the car? If so, we hope you'll share your experiences with us.

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
3,011 Posts
Coming from wrenching in the disco world, you'll have much more free time, lol.
Congrats, keep us all posted.
Try and beat them up for the bent handle, center console and trunk carpet. All easy fixes. Exterior headlight plastics(covers) look good, indication of garaged and loved. Correct filters in trunk is also encouraging

Reactions: fanboy

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,227 Posts
Hey y'all!

I'm John-Robert, and for roughly 17 years, I've been fascinated with the 560SEL's, specifically a '91, because it was the last year. Well, I'm finally in the process of buying one this week!! I'm from Texas, and this one is in Kentucky.

I'm from the SAAB world, having had 3 in the past, and I was really active in a Land Rover Discovery forum back in college.

I'm curious if there's a place y'all use to run a VIN, and also, quite honestly, if y'all know of this particular car: Used 1991 Mercedes-Benz 560 for Sale in Louisville KY 40220 Gordon Motor Sports

This would be the one I'm buying. I'm doing paperwork tomorrow!

I've been reading all the different threads, and watched so many videos. Y'all have been a silent angel over the last few years, as I just keep reading y'all's material. It's a dream come true to be able to finally own one!!!

Any new advice for a new owner??

Thanks so much, everyone!!

Congratulations!

It's a non-ASR version so you lucked out.

·
Registered
1989 300SE EURO
302 Posts
Looks great, johnbobby. Have you had a professional check it out? Never know what might be lurking. Will you be doing your own work on the car? If so, we hope you'll share your experiences with us.
And with this mileage, hopefully the chain and guides have been done.

·
Premium Member
1990 300SEL
887 Posts
Wait. You're buying this car without an inspection and without maintenance records? A sight-unseen W126 with no maintenance records and no inspection is worth about $1,000 (which is indeed what I paid for mine in that condition). No matter how nice it looks in photos.

That car was previously sold in Virginia as having a transmission problem:

1991 W126 560SEL No Reserve Low Mile Highway Monster Needing Transmission Help

Did the dealer in Kentucky just throw in some stop-leak? Or a junkyard transmission? Or maybe didn't even do anything?

The dealer's ad says exactly all the wrong things. Beautiful car, financing rates, etc. Nothing about maintenance that's been done or mechanical condition or car's history.

You are going about this the wrong way, especially if you are paying anywhere near $12K.

Get the car inspected by someone who knows W126s. There are so many things that can go very wrong. $12K is a price for a car with thick books of service records that's vouched for by a known MB expert. The uninspected 560SEL is worth maybe $1,000.

You know Discos. So this is just like the Disco world. Would you ever buy an uninspected Disco with no service history? You know that a Disco is worth as much as the fluids in it plus the last year of maintenance. Same idea for a W126.

Don't pull the trigger on this, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1989 300SE EURO
302 Posts
I hope you saw fanboys post before you signed documents !!

This car hasn’t been driven at all since 2 years ago , View attachment 2630802 I Suspect the transmission problem
Was never fixed .

I pulled an epic vin report and this same car sold in 2017 for $1925
Why is the batch so low? Something is not right with that trunk lid.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait. You're buying this car without an inspection and without maintenance records? A sight-unseen W126 with no maintenance records and no inspection is worth about $1,000 (which is indeed what I paid for mine in that condition). No matter how nice it looks in photos.

That car was previously sold in Virginia as having a transmission problem:

1991 W126 560SEL No Reserve Low Mile Highway Monster Needing Transmission Help

Did the dealer in Kentucky just throw in some stop-leak? Or a junkyard transmission? Or maybe didn't even do anything?

The dealer's ad says exactly all the wrong things. Beautiful car, financing rates, etc. Nothing about maintenance that's been done or mechanical condition or car's history.

You are going about this the wrong way, especially if you are paying anywhere near $12K.

Get the car inspected by someone who knows W126s. There are so many things that can go very wrong. $12K is a price for a car with thick books of service records that's vouched for by a known MB expert. The uninspected 560SEL is worth maybe $1,000.

You know Discos. So this is just like the Disco world. Would you ever buy an uninspected Disco with no service history? You know that a Disco is worth as much as the fluids in it plus the last year of maintenance. Same idea for a W126.

Don't pull the trigger on this, if you haven't already.
I hope you saw fanboys post before you signed documents !!

This car hasn’t been driven at all since 2 years ago , View attachment 2630802 I Suspect the transmission problem
Was never fixed .

I pulled an epic vin report and this same car sold in 2017 for $1925

And THIS is why I posted on here first!! Y'all come together in droves to make sure others are taken care of!!

I have NOT signed the paperwork yet, due to some financing set backs, but maybe it was a blessing in disguise!

I noticed that it had been sold multiple times on the Carfax, and the mileage didn't add up. I asked him about it, and he talked it off.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! you may have just saved me!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now, I did call the mechanic that did $1500 worth of service on it while at the current dealership. He said he went over the car, that there were no notes about things wrong, (other than n the things that were replaced A/C valves.. i think 3 of them, wiper motor and blades, added freon and an oil change). The statement is on the dealer website.

Truthfully, that's the extent of research I did on the vehicle.

I was planning on going to KY and really looking over it, once financing was approved.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well that was a lucky escape. It looks so pretty!
I know.. I'm quite bummed. I was very excited, because there's a 10 minute video and lots of pictures. I thought it was interesting that neither the video or pictures show what's under the hood.

But, I trust the great people here to lead me in the right direction.

But yeah.. it looks like showroom condition, but.. as we saw, it was sold in less than showroom condition, and without any paperwork. That should have tipped me off.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,482 Posts
2k would be a bargain. How about Bring a Trailer. Nice quality cars on there, much picked apart by people. The saloons don't seem to go for so much in America so it may be worth a look.

Reactions: fanboy
1 - 20 of 128 Posts