Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML430
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 ML430.The truck developed a rough idle last month. I ran fuel cleaner and ahd the injectors cleaned no luck. I changed the spark plugs and replaced the mass air sensor, the truck ran better but still had the rough idle. Took the truck to a Benz shop who I had good dealings with on my 300E. They found the seal on #4 injector needed to be replaced and also said the EGR valve was not working. They replaced the injector seal, they didn't want to replace the EGR valve.They said they couldn't get any fault codes to come up on their equipment,they said my car should have a check engine light on and fault codes showing up. They couldn't guarantee replacing the EGR would solve the problem because the computor gave no fault codes. They assumed the trucks computor was bad and recommended taking the truck to the dealer.
Took the truck to MB dealer, they found (2) bad spark plug wires and replaced them. Also the Harmonic Balancer needed replaced. Once that was done the rough idle went away. The service tech said he wanted to give my truck a good going over with a fine tooth comb, they replaced the front ball joints and rear shocks. He said there was a clunk in the rear and front going over bumps and tracks. I never really noticed this?
Here is the kicker all the work the MB dealer did was FREE!!!!!! I had some warrenty left which i didn't know about and thats why they went over my truck throughly. I am tickled pink to say the least. they also told me the Mass Air Meter was under warrenty as well so I wasted money, the old one is still very good. I hope this info helps you, if you have any questions let me know. My truck has 92,000 miles and now it rides and sounds like a almost new truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
Sly:
It looks like the ML Gods were with you on that trip to the dealer[:D] You may had had to take out a second mortgage to pay for all of that work[:)]

·
Registered
2001 ML430
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you! I was really dreading going to the dealer but it workd out great. One side note, I'm a Chief Petty Officer in the U.S. Navy currently stationed as a Boot Camp Instructor at Great Lakes, Illinois. I went to the dealer in Uniform they were really friendly and thanked me for my 15 years of Naval service to the Country. I believe that is why they went a little over and beyond and as they said went over my truck with a fine tooth comb. I have to change the brakes all the way around next and that should be it. I'm doing that one myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts