Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as some of you well know, I was in a quandary as to what to do about my Euro HLW's. So about 4 weeks ago I bit the bullet and ordered them from Antelope Valley Mercedes who ordered them from MB of Valencia. AVM Gives me their price for parts so that was my best option. Well they cam in a few days ago and I painted them with SEM "Trim Black" which I had also painted my Windshield Wipers, Door Handles and the Trunk Lock trim. I wanted some black as a contrast. When I had the door handles apart, I had filled in that ugly mold parting line with bondo, sanded it perfectly smooth, then painted them with the SEM.

So here it is:

I posted a before pic of the car in the pics section. I also have a complete chronology of the restoration project if anyone is interested. PM me for the link.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
euro headlight wipers.

Oooooh that's beautiful. I can't wait to have that on mine.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Looking good Michael!

That brings up a question. Are the Euro Gen I Motors and mountings the same as Euro Gen II?
I know the arms are different because of the internal water line for the washer nozzles.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking good Michael!

That brings up a question. Are the Euro Gen I Motors and mountings the same as Euro Gen II?
I know the arms are different because of the internal water line for the washer nozzles.
According to Jono, no they're not. They are different from Euro to US, Gen I to Gen II. And also he said that there are four iterations in the Sedans as well.

I got a new set of Gen II HLW motors for $1.00 from eBay. No guarantee they'll work, but hey it's a chance just like the Junkyards...

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A much better look, now, just the bumper bar....
Thanks Ross - I have the rear bumper, just looking for a front one and I'll have them both painted and fitted.

Any comments of the front height? I ordered and installed OEM springs but I think it sits too high still. I know they will settle a little bit, but I think it needs to come down a little more.

The ride is spectacular now though. Jim you REALLY need to take her out on the highway for a good long drive next time you are down here or I am up there. I know you think the ride may be too stiff, but I promise you it's not. The ride is still quite comfortable and smooth, with NO "Pea in the Mattress" syndrome that you mentioned. I think that WOULD have been the case if I had gone with stiffer springs, but these are factory stiffness, only the Bilstien's are HD's and the ride is really smooth.

I REALLY want to see you go the "Drilled and Slotted" route for the brakes. There is a noticeable difference in stopping power between our cars.

You should come down in a couple of weeks to do the wiper motors in both cars at the same time. Both front bumpers should come off to ease the job. Not difficult at all. I can strip off the whole front end in 30 minutes now and it makes it a lot easier to replace or install them and the Valences. Also a good time to change out the bulbs in the driving lights if they have not been changed or upgraded in a while.

M

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
I knew there was a difference between US and Euro, Coupe and Sedan. I did not know if there was a difference between Gen I and Gen II. I saw the motors you bought and I was going to bid on the other set of 4, but I figured they were all off sedans.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Look great. The smoked corners look good with that color too.

Any photos of the door handles and the trunk you described?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I may be the only one that kinda likes the US spec wipers a little more.

Don't get me wrong, that still looks great, but I kinda have more of a thing for the US spec, though maybe I am thinking that because I have the US spec.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Euro headlight wipers & Euro yellow french fogs, on the way!

You should come down in a couple of weeks to do the wiper motors in both cars at the same time. Both front bumpers should come off to ease the job. Not difficult at all. I can strip off the whole front end in 30 minutes now and it makes it a lot easier to replace or install them and the Valences. Also a good time to change out the bulbs in the driving lights if they have not been changed or upgraded in a while.

M
Thanks. I just got a brand new factory fresh set of euro headlight wiper valances delivered here today. I bought these from the Mercedes Benz Classic Center USA in Irvine when I was there last week. They told me only one side was in stock, and the other had to come from Germany but when they got it, they would mail the pair right away. $154 for the pair brand new to my door. Here is a quick shot of them.

I took them to a body shop, to repaint them. I even had a can of 199 Pearl Black paint from the recent roof repaint in April, it should be good. Body shop has the parts and they should be shot by next week.

Maybe you can give me a hand with the install, when the headlight wipers and motors, and the new coupe French fogs arrive.

I have a date on Saturday in Livermore, and the snow is supposed to fly this weekend, so the SEC is not going anywhere.

I detailed it to hell and gone yesterday, everything done except cleaning out the AC registers with q - tips.

The car looks really really good just now. Ready to be tucked away during rain and snow days, in the garage. The time is ready for the new Outback to start earning its keep.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
I'm glad Mclare is just a ways away from me when I finally get my Euro Gen I wipers and arms. I haven't even looked to see what other HLW stuff is missing from my car. I know the nozzles are still on the bumpers, but haven't the foggiest about lines, valves, and such.
Michael's help in getting these things mounted will be a great asset. Michael has some great restoration tips and techniques that he learned restoring his car. Anyone that hasn't seen his restoration process pictures needs to take the time to look at them. He did a helluva job!

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
My two Antelope Valley California 560SEC friends: mc clare and chadahar!!!

Ok you guys, after I have finally consolidated my feces, :) I will be heading down your way within 2-3 weeks, I hope, with the plan that I will be rolling out of Lancaster in a day with yellow french foglights, complete Euro headlight wipers/motors/valance/adjustable euro dash dip switch & housing, drilled and slotted rotors, new front pads, Bilstein HDs, and Jono's 2.65 LSD installed.

If all that's in place, my car will be PERFECT, so far as I am concerned..

All the mods will be done. I detailed it yesterday, and it looks stunning. Never better.

Thanks you guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts