Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Finally getting some love

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  illstplaya 
#1 ·
Hi E55 lovers,
After a year of restoring a 928 I finally finished it a sold it. Time to give my E55T the love and attention she deserves. Swapped a dented right front door only to find the window was the wrong tint, so window and vertical trim too. Repaired and painted cracked front and rear bumpers. Replaced the right valve cover gasket once then used sealant but a drip keeps coming back. Any hints?
Waiting for time to take it to the alignment shop. And rattle from the sunroof. Otherwise excellent car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I tried cleaning off the sealant and now the leak is worst. Think I may have damage the gasket so I’ve ordered a new one. This time I’ll remove the ignition wires and use my endoscope camera to check for sealing.

#7 ·
I used a red Permtex sealant. Yesterday new part came so I cleaned all the old sealant. But the issue is when I flip the valve cover to install it the gasket falls off especially if it contact anything. Finally I used a bit of contact cement to hold the gasket. Worked like a charm. Finally no leaks.

#9 ·
Now I’ve got one metallic clunk/clank from what feels like the center to rear right, on tight turns exiting parking lots with an angled curb. I changed the front sway bar links.
I check the right rear suspension. Couldn’t see anything. The subframe bushing looked a little worn. How much play should there be there? Honestly it’s been raining non-stop here and I didn’t feel like rolling around on my back so I only squatted and inspect the rear end. No play at the sway bar links, nor any of the multi links to the hub.

#10 ·
Replaced lower ball joint, stabilizer links, adjusted front wheel bearings. Same noise.
Metallic clunk at the front when turning full lock into a driveway with a curb. More pronounced when turning left than right.
All that’s left is upper control arm and tie rods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.