Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
'05 C240 Wagon
110 Posts
yes, the low resistor = open circuit. It is the reason not install LED headlight or stop light yet.

i have a 98 wagon. the normal bulbs melt the plastic housing causing it to warp and not work. my thoughts were a cool LED. but now i have the annoying warning light.

its the same thing in my mother 2002 C-class.....

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
I would love to do this fix but am not too educated about electrical wiring, soldering etc(but can learn). The instructions and pictures do not give me a clear picture of exactly what needs to be done(again, because of my ignorance, not criticizing the instructions). Can anyone who has done this fix, explain it to me? Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
E 270 CDI Avangarde
11 Posts
Hi Chaps
Try measuring grounding (take the Ohm meter -resistance) and measure from lowest gray cable to the body (there are actually grounding screws nearby tail lights). If it is above 10 Ohm bridge the grounding directly to the body and problem solved.

·
Registered
2002 E320 4Matic W210 w/ 230k as of 03/15/2018
61 Posts
Success! - I was getting a light out warning every time I ran the car and pumped the brakes for years. Tried everything short of replacing the sockets or the pigtail method listed here. 2 weeks ago I failed my state safety inspection and the indy swapped out the #2 fuse (interior driver's side fuse panel) and the thing hasn't squaked once. I drive 100+ miles per day. W210 2002 e320 4Matic getting ready to cross 160k. Perhaps the fuse gets beaten up with time causing the low voltage? Benz and and their lighting clusters... go figure!

·
Registered
2002 e320 4matic Wagon
868 Posts
FIXED (and question)

Removed the taillights and sanded the surfaces. Even removed the metal pieces of the holders and sanded them (one at a time so as not to lose track of which goes where). Should last awhile. Do
Do you think a battery corrosion inhibitor will help preserve the contacts, or interfere with the conduction? My sense says it could interfere, especially if the bulb (and/or holder) is ever removed and replaced.

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
Please help me understand this. The wires that are soldered to the contacts of the socket, what do the free ends of the wire attach to? What is the gauge of the wire used? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone! I have a 2001 e320 wagon. My brake lights would work when I pressed the brake pedal about 3/4 of the way to the floor. All the way down and the brake lights went off!!! My mechanic replaced the brake sensor switch. It seemed to correct that problem. However now I have crazy things going on with many lights. When I turn my lights on....all my brake lights come on even the one near the roof line ( center brake light) When I step on the brake only 1 brake light gets a little brighter. When my lights are off and I step on the brake the passengers side front parking light comes on! Yikes!!!! So crazy!!! btw....when my lights are turned on ......the drivers side rear tail light bulb is much brighter than the passengers side tail light. Can anyone suggest, where to begin. Lots of you have had very similar problems. I've scrolled through and read many similar posts! Thanks Tom

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,186 Posts
Hello :).

Have you replaced the brake bulbs ? If so, have you replaced them with the correct type bulbs ? and have you installed the bulb correctly ?

It is likely that you mis-inserted one of the brake bulbs (two filament ones)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello :).

Have you replaced the brake bulbs ? If so, have you replaced them with the correct type bulbs ? and have you installed the bulb correctly ?

It is likely that you mis-inserted one of the brake bulbs (two filament ones)
Thanks for the reply. I think I need to get 2 new bulbs and connect them into the socket correctly! It's challenging to get the cartridge twisted appropriately into the housing! Thanks Again!!! Tom

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,186 Posts
41 - 53 of 53 Posts