Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been about a year and a half since my emissions woes and leaky valves and the time is nearing for another test. So I decided to bite the bullet and put the 126 in the shop. Since I plan on keeping it for a while and the emissions test is coming up, I decided to have the top end repaired. While I'm at it I'm having the flex disk, motor mounts, and brakes worked. All toll $4500. Since many of the other major systems (cooling system, AC, Exhaust, suspension) have been done, I should be in good shape for a while. At least i should not have problems with the emissions this time. The good side is, no car note and a nice ride. I should have it back in about a week. I will provide a performance follow-up in a couple of Months; after I have had a chance to put it through its paces during the warm weather.

Htown

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Have them install a new Timing chain, guides, and tensioner wheile it;s apart. Great time to do it and then your are good for 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
+1 to Chadahar. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I asked and the Mech says on a 300se, no need to do it until 200k or better. He says he has never seen timing chain issues on the straight six under 200k or better. Other mechs have said the same. Seems as though the straight six chains don't have to travel as far as the V8's. They took the head off this morning and sent to his machine shop.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
I asked and the Mech says on a 300se, no need to do it until 200k or better. He says he has never seen timing chain issues on the straight six under 200k or better. Other mechs have said the same. Seems as though the straight six chains don't have to travel as far as the V8's. They took the head off this morning and sent to his machine shop.
I don't know if the guides are the same but there's probably not $250 more in parts to change the chain and guides....

Do I like a nice tight butt or handfull sized breast...

Blonde, redhead, brunette, or a combo...

Just me thinking out loud:Smoker:

·
Registered
'00 Mazda MPV, '98 Chrysler Cirrus
1,654 Posts
Do I like a nice tight butt or handfull sized breast...

Blonde, redhead, brunette, or a combo...

Just me thinking out loud:Smoker:
Acccch, must resist twisted comment! I MUST RESIST!!!...

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

I just checked with the Mech., and the car is almost done. Turns out as they were going through it to check the timing chain, the rails were cracked and broke. Timing chain job was also done. It's a good thing they did that. After paying a heap of money for a top end job and then have the chain go would make a man cry. I should get it back tomorrow they say. More than I wanted to pay but at least all of the major stuff is done. Ready for another 150K. Good lookin out Chadahar. I would not have thought about the chain had you not suggested it.

Htown

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The deed is done

Well,

I got my 126 back from the shop and I must say, these guys are good. In summary I had the following repairs done:

Complete valve job
Brake pads replace all around
Timing chain replaced
Flex disk replaced
motor mounts replaced
1 front ABS sensor (no more light coming on)
new thermostat
plugs
oil and coolant replaced

Drove it last night and today and it's running smoothly. All toll, $4500. Money well spent.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Excellent!!!

I'm glad that you went ahead and pushed for the chain work. I've thought it over. I'm thinking a blonde handfull would fit the day quite well :thumbsup:

Go enjoy a bunch of trouble free miles!

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep,

The mechanic called me back and said the rails broke while he was inspecting it, so it had to be fixed. They called me back a couple of times with things they thought needed repair. Of course, this means more money. By the time I went to pay, the bill was $700 less than they quoted. Go figure.

Oh yeah, I assume you mean a bountiful Blonde.

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nah,

Turns out the cost for the valve job was cheaper than the estimate. They initially gave me a range with a $400 spread. All of the other stuff was cheaper due to labor cost. No problem with me. I'm Ok, especially considering the amount of work done. They could have said nothing and charged the full amount. I'm very satisfied.

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,051 Posts
Some of our costumers ask themselves, if they really should invest such an amount of
money in there old car.

My answer is always the same: What bloody rice bowl could you get for that money?
And do you really want to drive something like that instead of a S-class?

I found out - it works :D

Roland

1 - 14 of 14 Posts