Last night I spent a lot of time learning a potential reason that these AMG wheels were left on the vehicle.
The first wheel I tried, I could only get one lug out. The AMG wheels have short extended heads that are common on r129 and 560sl r107 cars. The extended heads were discontinued by MB due to the heads breaking off. I hit that first one with PB Blaster and got the other three wheels off despite their rusty lug bolts. I ended up getting all but two lug bolts out. I could have just wrenched on it, but I knew that I would end up ripping the head off and having a bigger problem.
This must have been why the wheels were left on the car.
You'd think that taking it down to my friend's shop where he was working all night long and just hitting it with the impact gun would have done the job. Nope. To minimize the twisting of the bolt head off to the sides, we set up a floor jack to support the outside of the deep socket we were using. That way we could stand on the wrench and not worry about the extended portion twisting off onto an angle as much. No luck. Keep in mind, I drove the car about two miles hitting every bump I could on the way to the shop.
Finally we decided to take a look and see if there was any way to get to the rotor from behind to hit it with penetrant. Fortunately there's a slot on the front heat/dust shield where you can see the back of the lugs. I shot it repeatedly for hours it seemed with PB Blaster. Shocking the bolt on both sides with a hammer (and punch on back side). No love.
suggested heat and had a torch on hand. I cooked the hell out of the bolt from the back side and was able to get one of the two remaining bolts out. Shwew! Having that success, I was confident I could somehow get that last one off. It didn't come with the same procedure of heat and PB Blaster and shocking. It took a little more. I had to loosely put in the other four lug bolts and take the car for a really hard drive after all that heat and PB Blaster and shocking. Finally, when I pulled it in I was able to get the last bolt out.
Realizing that we were able to spin the wheel and see the lug holes from the back side of the rotor was really key to getting these bolts out. Otherwise, I would not have been able to hit it with pentetrant, a punch, and heat.
I finally got the mother f'er off though.
Fronts are 7.5x17 et37 with 225/45/17 tires that rubbed behind the tire on the fender. They also rubbed the inside fender it seems.
Rears are 8.5x17 et30 and stick out way too far with 255 tires, 255/40/17 I think.
The car is now sitting on 15" 15-hole w124 wheels.