Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 piece manifolds that I'll be installing on my SEC:):) Can't wait to try them out at the dyno!

Jonathan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Oh Jonathan, did you forget mine?

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
nice set! how much would it cost to make a set of custom headers for a 420sel, cause these log type headers are umm, lets just say at not full potential[xx(]. your set looks like great quality.

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
blue420sel - 2/25/2005 1:10 PM

nice set! how much would it cost to make a set of custom headers for a 420sel, cause these log type headers are umm, lets just say at not full potential[xx(]. your set looks like great quality.
Those look like Euro headers that have been chromed?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All said and done, I'll have 520 in them. A Lot cheaper then the 1700+ for new before coating. SCSEC is right, ceramic coated, no chrome[xx(]

Jonathan

·
SLK350
68,384 Posts
Those are sweet. Hey thanks again for the wheel bearings. I am just waiting for the weather to get a little nice to put them on (the 560 does not fit in my garage which was intended for a Ford T model back when it was built).

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!! Best of luck w/ the bearings. To get the races out I have had good luck heating the carrier some w/ mapp (or propane) and then using a hammer and punch, which btw, make sure you have a decent set as one of the races does not provide you w/ much of a lip to hit on.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2004 ML270
538 Posts
They look good Jonathon, I did something similar to my Euro a while back now.

Are you fitting the heat shields?

Cheers
Matt.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Matt!
I have the shields for under the car..Was thinking of putting something b/w the down pipes and the chassis/body but hadn't really gotten far.
What did you run for an exhaust aft of the down pipes?

Jonathan

·
Registered
2004 ML270
538 Posts
Hi Jonathon.

The standard Euro manifolds have heat shields that install on top of the manifolds to prevent heat soak upwards.

From the manifolds down it comes together into a single 3in system with a flowmaster rear muffler with dual exits.

Very burbly and deep with not much droning at all. Something a bit different anyway.

Matt.

·
Registered
380sel 1983
31 Posts
That looks sensational Jonathan. Look forward to seeing the results both in picture and on the dyno. Don't forget to include before and after dyno results for comparison. Interested to see how much diff a descent exhaust makes. Mine is getting a bit tired and will need something done soon. Tarquin (Brad)[:)]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm thinking of running this as a dual 2.5's w/ an X pipe w/ a flowmaster, figureing on about the same sound:)

Brad,
Thanks, and I have the before dyno in my gallery so feel free to have a look..!

Jonathan

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Hey, i was wondering how much did the coating set you back? i was thinking about doing the same thing to my set. How long did it take?

Also, do the heat shields really make a difference?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Coating ran 100. Worked it in w/ a Big order from a local shop I know:):)

Not sure..I know that when I wrapped my stock manifolds the reduction in heat in the engine room was dramatic.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If the euros come with heat shields, didn't the heat shields come with those Jonathan? I think they may be a good idea. Wonder if the shields should be jet-hot coated too?

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
MRTIKKET - 2/27/2005 11:00 AM

If the euros come with heat shields, didn't the heat shields come with those Jonathan? I think they may be a good idea. Wonder if the shields should be jet-hot coated too?
Looks like the heatshield is all the way on the right side.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
OK, I'm stupid! Right before my eyes! Nevermind!

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[8D]

I didn't bother w/ those on my SEL.. The wrapping made all the difference. I'm waiting to get the down pipes back from being coated as well.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
Jonathan,
Manifolds look great. Can you send a pm with info how to order a set for my euro 500SEL. What type of heat wrapping did you use to cut down on heat soaking?
Great job, gotta get some for myself.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts