Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 C320 Sport Coupe - 2002 CLK320 Cabriolet - 2012 E350 Cabriolet
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I finally got a new car, its a 2003 C320 Sport Coupe in black. I drove it home for the first time today from Markham. (From Markham to Mississauga is about 45 minutes VIA highway)

And as I just got off the highway, 2 minutes from my house, my trip computer turned red and it said "Battery/Alternator issue. Visit workshop!". So at first I thought my battery was about to die, but the malfunction disappeared. I drove it 10 minutes ago after waxing it and nothing happened. The malfunction notification is gone.

Do you guys thing it's something I should worry about? The malfunction notification is gone, so I don't know if its common issue that's not really an issue.

·
Registered
CL500 W140 '97 Coupe
62 Posts
Well!..yes & no, electrical problems on this era of Mercedes cars as a whole was very widespread.

Personally, forget about it and enjoy the car (assuming it doesn't reappear !)

Tapatalk from Galaxy S2

·
Registered
2002 C240
9 Posts
The way I see it, here are your options:
1) Do a simple check of the connections of the cables to the battery, make sure there is no corrosion and the cable are tight. Try to turn the cables by hand, if they move, tighten them up. Drive some more and see if the display goes red again.
2) Buy yourslef a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) from Home Depot or Walmart, or Harborfreight are measure the battery voltage at the terminals with the car not running. It should be in the range of 12-13 volts. Next start the car up and remeasure the battery voltage, it should now be 14-14.5 volts because the alternator should be charging the battery. Please note the above numbers are approximate and the actual tolerance could be a bit more.
Also measure the battery voltage at night, record the value and remeasure in the morning to see if it is vastly different indicating a drain on the battery from something in the car.
3) Take the car to the dealer or an indy and have them investigate.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Cam, but right now nothing seems to be wrong. I was just driving it around for a few hours and had no problems whatsoever. I'll try to do what you mentioned in the morning, but right now it's a bit late.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Did you buy it from someone who might have steam cleaned the engine (or with water) - could give you a temporary problem until it sorted itself or dried out ?

Was it standing for weeks before sale?

Hope it stays cleared and your volts are good.

Oberoi

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
I would not be too worried at this stage, many cars can display an odd message and never show it again, the only possible way of knowing if something was wrong is to do a STAR test to see if something is logged on the fault codes.

·
Registered
2005 C240 silver, 2008 R320CDI Cubanite
390 Posts
Enjoy your new Benz!
I agree. check your connections and the belt. It may simply be an undervoltage because the car sat for a while and the battery was low. dont worry unless it appears again.
BTW you dont need a DVM you can monitor the voltage from the front panel!
Reset Service Indicator
1. Insert key into ignition, switch to position “1“.
2. Press buttons or repeatedly until the mileage is displayed within the Multifunction display.
3. Press cluster illumination button (1) 3 times in short succession. The battery voltage will be displayed and an audible signal will sound.
4. Turn key in ignition to position “2”
5. Press the up / buttons until the service menu appears.
6. Press cluster illumination button (1) once. The Oil Type menu is displayed.
7. Use the and buttons to select the oil used for the service.
8. Press the up / buttons to confirm. The display will show: “Reset Oil Confirmation. Push R-Button for 3 seconds”.
9. Press and hold the cluster illumination button (1) for 3 seconds. The message “Service confirmed” is displayed.

BTW May I ask the mileage, condition and price you paid? I am thinking of selling mine.

thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, efzauner. But since I got the car it's never had that problem so I'm good. :)
The problem NOW is hesitation, and sometimes the car jerks forward for a second while I'm stopped (in drive), and my engine revs and all the lights on my dash turn on, WHILE I'm holding down the brake. What could this be?

By the way, I bought my car for 9500 after taxes with 102k kilometers and zero rust.
Though I bought it from a Mazda dealer, so you should be able to sell yours for 7000-8000 before tax.

·
Registered
2017 GLC 300 4Matic fully loaded... but for the heated steering wheel. Stupid previous owner! 😠
1,138 Posts
As a rule of thumb, if the issue doesn't persist, don't worry about it. Occasionally, my car tells me to check the coolant level, which I do, and it hasn't changed since I've owned the car. The other day as I was heading into town, the display showed "Pass. Air Bag Activated - See Owner's Manual." I searched the owner's manual and found nothing, so I turned the car off and started it back up. I haven't seen it since, so I'm not worried.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts