Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1994 R129 SL280
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to have the car recovered last night, I pulled away and there was a very loud bang from under the back of the car, we lost all drive, we got some loud grumbling noises from the diff area but no fwd or backward motion....

I suspect the inside the diff, or final drive unit as you might call it, has broken up, maybe stripped the teeth off the crown wheel or pinion.

Our car is a 280SL, is the 300 and 320 one the same ratio? What about the 500 unit? Is that the same ratio?

Is the W124 unit the same?

Thanks

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
9,092 Posts
Have you managed to look underneath yet?? It could be the prop shaft couplings e.g. the flexi disc or the Hardy Spicer joint.
Let's hope it isn't the diff :(

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,136 Posts
Go check underneath as suggested. Sure sounds like a mashed flex coupling to me.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,603 Posts
The diff is a very strong unit hard to brake, it will make a humming noise for a looong time before it brakes.

Like the other members said look first for broken rubber disks/flex coupling, hanger bearing, half shafts.
In that order.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
870 Posts
Interesting - you need to find out from the garage why the drive shaft broke and make sure you post the reason here - Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1994 R129 SL280
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting - you need to find out from the garage why the drive shaft broke and make sure you post the reason here - Thank you in advance!
We just collected the car, I had a look at the broken part, looks like crevice corrosion under the neck of the CV boot started a small area of pitting, a crack propogated and it let go.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,603 Posts
We just collected the car, I had a look at the broken part, looks like crevice corrosion under the neck of the CV boot started a small area of pitting, a crack propogated and it let go.

How was the rubber boot on the half shafts/CV boot?

If it has cracks then dirt, salt and water, will do the rest.

Or father time/mileage, how many miles on the clock?

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
1994 R129 SL280
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How was the rubber boot on the half shafts/CV boot?

If it has cracks then dirt, salt and water, will do the rest.

Or father time/mileage, how many miles on the clock?

Regards,
aam.
100k miles on the clock.

The CV boot was a bit of a mess to be honest. In a way the car doesn't help itself, it demands so little attention from me that it gets even less!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts