Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was predicted to be the last day (for the forseeable future) of nice weather.

13C and sunny.

So I pulled the cover off the Pig and went for a drive with my Twin. Down the 27, along the 9, up Dufferin and into the Holland Marsh ( farmland) back to the 27 along the 90 and to a bar called Sticky Fingers for a couple of pints.

Nice drive, nice weather, good buddy but 68 litres at $1.29 a litre hurt me, man. It hurt me.

And yes, I know, those rims are like a BOOB job on a flat chick.

Attachments

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Did the same today. Took the 84 in the morning and the 79 later. It was a little chilly in the am and after the sun went down but the top stayed stowed.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,165 Posts
I hear ya Nobby.

We had beautiful weather all last week with afternoon temps in the 70s. Sadly work kept the SL in the garage most of the week, but Thursday was a holiday and wife and I both burned a day friday...

We spent a several hours both days in the SL, cruising around the area. Weather was beautiful and warm during the afternoons.

Sadly, the weather has taken a turn for the worse, with temps dropping, clouds rolling in and rain beginning. This appears to have set in for the forseeable future and she'll probably be pretty much parked for the season.:crybaby2:

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,197 Posts
We took the Harcourt to the Lakeshore to the Reuther to the Gratiot and back to the Lakeshore and back to the Harcourt. Ain't giving up. I try to take it out at least once aweek throughout the winter unless there's snow or salt on the street. Car has such a great heater, that cold is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
Spent the afternoon servicing lawn tractor, mower and snowblower. But did take the SL out for a coffee run. I will use it until they spread salt! Hopefully not soon.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
3,524 Posts
It was a beautiful day here in western PA. We took the old girl through the Pitts, down to WV, around for a few miles there, then back up the 28 to where we are staying until the company house opens up.

The looks she received out here were plenty, and she also garnered quite a few comments while filling her up.

She's being stored in my boss's garage until the company house is freed up, while we stay at the Marriott. As uncomfortable as this bed is, I think I'd rather sleep in the car, instead.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,356 Posts
Hey Jp is it just you and Peg at the hotel? Any restaurant there? How much longer?

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
One of the benefits of living below (south) of the Mason-Dixon line...
Typically, HT on at Thanksgiving, Off at Easter. Now that I have the hoist, HT may come off during the winter for those rare warm days in December and February-March.

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
I've managed to get out three or four times this week, and I expect to again next week, the weather is gonna be clear so maybe one or two more short hops around town.

I'm burning up stabilizer.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
3,524 Posts
Hey Jp is it just you and Peg at the hotel? Any restaurant there? How much longer?
Yeah, just me and Peg. The company house is supposed to be ready for us on the 20th.

This area is surrounded by restaurants.

I can hardly wait for the house...I'm really tired of eating out!!

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The boobs look good, probably didn't need the lift job at the front though.
I'm working on that.

Slow and steady wins the race, Turbo.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,225 Posts
One of the benefits of living below (south) of the Mason-Dixon line...
Typically, HT on at Thanksgiving, Off at Easter. Now that I have the hoist, HT may come off during the winter for those rare warm days in December and February-March.
Just get the LL Bean Mad Bomber hat and leave the HT off. Works North of the Mason-Dixon line.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/3871705-post111.html

·
7,166 Posts
I recall one top-down, winter drive of 140 miles, with my youngest son, who was 12 at the time. We started out in 50F with sunshine, and the sun about to set. Half-way thru the drive, it got COLD (this was before I fixed the vacuum pods and got the heater to work). Not having a wind screen, we raised the windows, and slunk (is that a word) down as low as possible in the seat.

While we had jackets on, as the mercury fell to just north of 38, the cold began to take its toll. My son kept wiggling around in the seat, trying to stay warm. I finally had to tell him to keep his feet still, as he might step on and squish my balls, as they had frozen off and were probably rolling around somewhere in the floorboard!

Still, an enjoyable and memorable drive...

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,225 Posts
I recall one top-down, winter drive of 140 miles, with my youngest son, who was 12 at the time. We started out in 50F with sunshine, and the sun about to set. Half-way thru the drive, it got COLD (this was before I fixed the vacuum pods and got the heater to work). Not having a wind screen, we raised the windows, and slunk (is that a word) down as low as possible in the seat.

While we had jackets on, as the mercury fell to just north of 38, the cold began to take its toll. My son kept wiggling around in the seat, trying to stay warm. I finally had to tell him to keep his feet still, as he might step on and squish my balls, as they had frozen off and were probably rolling around somewhere in the floorboard!

Still, an enjoyable and memorable drive...
The combination of the wind screen and vents working correctly really make winter driving possible and fun. It was 28° on the day of that winter GTG in NY.

·
7,166 Posts
...It was 28° on the day of that winter GTG in NY.
My blood gels at 35F!
5 years in Central Texas ruined my internal thermostat, and I have never recovered.

Used to drive the ole MG around in sub-40F weather, top-down, quite often. Now, I'd freeze up and have to be removed from the cockpit like a corpse in Rigor...

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,979 Posts
The combination of the wind screen and vents working correctly really make winter driving possible and fun. It was 28° on the day of that winter GTG in NY.
Ditto - except here we still have great weather. Drove it last Wednesday (Nov 10) for 140 mies - temps started out at about 55 degrees (jacket and hat) and wound up at 75. Have had it out TDWD most days this past week and one evening. Tough to call it winter - and I do not miss places such as northern Maine, North and South Dakota, Colorado, and even Baltimore on days like this!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts