Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99' CLK320, 2011 e350 Bluetec
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if there is a filter in the power steering reservoir?
I am going to be doing some maintenance and thought about changing it if it has a filter. Currently has 140k+ miles on it. Planning to do a flush of the fluid while possibly changing the serp belt/tensioner/idler and new brushes in alternator(volt reg).

P/N 000 460 01 83 (Don't know why pics always turn 90 degrees - sorry)

My W201 had a removable filter that was filthy when I got it. Can't imagine what one looks like after 18 years and 140k miles. :smile

Attachments

·
Registered
99' E320, 00' E320, 03' E320T, 05' C230K
5,045 Posts
Reactions: Illinibbfan

·
Registered
99' CLK320, 2011 e350 Bluetec
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 260e

I did some searching on the W210 site since there are a lot more members there, and it is the same engine.
Found a conversation that confirmed the filter inside.
Ordered a reservoir yesterday, along with the parts to swap out the Serp belt/tensioner/idler and the brushes for the alternator.

Just looking at the unit, the fact that there is a seam in it led me to believe there was something inside. Otherwise, it would be just one piece.

Now, if I had an easy fix for the famous 99' paint issues.....

·
Registered
2000 SL320, 2001 CLK320
2,364 Posts
Yes filter built into the container unlike the older models which had a replaceable filter. Probably deemed it unnecessary to change on a maintenance schedule as there shouldn't be anything in the system to cause contamination.

If there were bits of steel floating around then it would point to major wear in the pump or steering box which would then need replacing in any case.

Most problems with the system boil down to fluid low due to leaks and then wrong type steering fluids being put in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.