Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally made it back into the garage yesterday to start re-assembly of my '76 SL to run into show stopper. First job was to re-install the fuel tank so I can get the car mobile again..

I had purchased a new fuel tank neck filler seal (grommet) that goes around the neck of the fuel tank, and fits into the body work. I purchased part number 1239973581 (from Mercedes) - this is also the part number listed at Pelican (link) - but it doesn't fit my car...

A1239973581 is clearly designed to fit a far larger hole in the fender - about 85mm vs 67mm on my car. The 'old' and 'new' look very different (photos below)

Looking on the EPC for my vin (32728) shows the part but says "item no. not valid for this model des."

Does anyone know what the correct part number is for this?

(note - on the photos 'Front' means 'outside' and 'back' means 'inside (the trunk)'. The red arrows show the edge of the seal that clip into the fender.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,466 Posts
The EPC page in your photo is the SLC tank, grommet part number 107 997 24 81. The next page shows the SL tank with the number you have.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The EPC page in your photo is the SLC tank, grommet part number 107 997 24 81. The next page shows the SL tank with the number you have.
Thanks - you're correct, that was the wrong page...but the correct page doesn't help much (as you say, it indicates the part number is A1239973581, which is what I bought, and is clearly not the correct part for my car (though I see that the EPC says it replaces A1239973881 - though there's no mention of a VIN where the changeover took place, so it should be a direct swap...).

Does anyone know what the part number is for the 'old' grommet I've got (the one on the left in the photos?)

-Steve

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,466 Posts
I think it was just a number change not a design change.

I googled the SLC number and it looks closer to what you have. I don't have an SLC to compare.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it was just a number change not a design change.

I googled the SLC number and it looks closer to what you have. I don't have an SLC to compare.
Thanks! I looked at the old part very carefully, and found a part number inside the seal. It's 1079972481 - which is listed for the SLC, not the SL. Very strange...

I've ordered one, and hopefully it'll be here by the weekend so I can finish installing the tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Dumb question. Did you try the seal with the 123 part number? Could someone have replaced it before and used the wrong part, not paying attention?

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dumb question. Did you try the seal with the 123 part number? Could someone have replaced it before and used the wrong part, not paying attention?
There are no dumb questions! :)

Yes, I checked. The 123 part number will fit over the tank neck, but the circumference of the groove that the edge of the bodywork slips into is far too large for my 107 - it's about 85mm, compared to the hole in the panel which is about 67mm. I did wonder if someone had changed the fender at some point (using an SLC part), but that seems very unlikely (not even sure it would fit anyway). I'm pretty certain it is original to the car.

Once I get the new grommet I'll confirm whether or not it fits, to close out this thread (just in case someone else runs into this in the future...I hate finding threads that have 'my' problem and never come to a conclusion...)

-Steve

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,466 Posts
This is possibly the second error I have seen in the EPC recently. The fuel pump relay for the 450SL is listed as 001 545 06 05 or 1505. They are both six pin relays with a black case. I know for a fact that the early model 450SL fuel pump relay is 001 545 02 19 which is a five pin relay.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is possibly the second error I have seen in the EPC recently. The fuel pump relay for the 450SL is listed as 001 545 06 05 or 1505. They are both six pin relays with a black case. I know for a fact that the early model 450SL fuel pump relay is 001 545 02 19 which is a five pin relay.
Confirmed - definitely a mistake in the EPC.

I bought the SLC Part from Pelican, fitted it today, and fits perfectly.

Here's what it says on the Pelican Receipt:

Grommet,
Brand: Genuine Mercedes-Benz
Part #: 107-997-24-81-MBZ

So, 1079972481 is the correct fuel tank neck seal for a 1976 450SL

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,466 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
3 Participants
TheFixer
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing