Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I just bought a 1978 280E in pretty great condition, about 130k miles on it. I have a few questions, though.<br>
<br>
The trim strips on the exterior sides are peeling in a few places. Is there any DIY way to get those back on?<br>
<br>
The roof needs to be repainted, it's looking pretty dull. Any ballpark figures on how much it will cost to repaint? Speaking of which, any mechanics or paint places in the Eugene/Springfield, Oregon area that can be recommended would be great.<br>
<br>
Lastly, what's the name of the little plastic storage pocket on the inside of the front doors? One of them is cracked and I don't even know what part I'm looking for. <br>
<br>
Anyway, thanks in advance for any help provided!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For the strips you have to go to a main dealer and buy the plastic clips. All parts on these cars are reasonably cheap, surprisingly enough.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't understand your question about trim strips.<br> Before you repaint the roof--one of the reasons we all love these cars is the paint is a mile thick, try buffing it out. I'm certain that you'll be surprised, if it isn't metallic.<br> <br> The storage pockets have a serial number on them as does everything on these cars. With that number you can get anything. Careful when you remove the door panel, take out all the screws, pop the push clips loose and then lift up on the bottom near the fron of the pocket, otherwise you'll break the pocket. If the pocket is broken right there at that slide-in clip, save yourself a lot of money and drill a hole in the remaining tab install a nut and bolt affixing the front part of the pocket onto the panel. Paint the nut black and you'll never see it in use. Panel will be easier to remove the next time. Panels can be difficult for beginners.<br> Ben

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.