Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2006 S500 4matic, 2005 S500
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below please find a few notes from driver window replacement on a 2005 S500:

* Only tools required are star wrenches

* To remove the old window drop it down until you see the star screws (two) (see picture) on the bottom of the door body

* The glass gets removed from the top, and replaced from the top

* loctitie blue is recommended for the star screws

* only the bottom of the door cover needs to be removed, leave the top in place as not to disturb the butal black sealer

* glass sells new at MB dealer for $400 USD, plenty of used windows on ebay for under $100 USD delivered. If buying used, try to buy a later year with low miles, the unit that holds the mounting screws to the window due wear over time and prevents the window from a secure seating in its mounts.

* fairly straightforward on man job, should take about 60-90 minutes

Attachments

W220 Moderator
I'll see you and raise you ................

30 minutes Rear ............ 20 mins Front ...............

But I have had a lot of practice now :wink

Reactions: MikeKerr

W220 Moderator
Likely to be delamination, they all do it, if not it would be broken surely !!

W220 Moderator
Absolutely, starts at the edges and gradually gets worse :wink

Registered
2006 S500 4matic, 2005 S500
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MikeKerr, if I may ask what caused you to replace the glass?
2K2,

Great question. In my case it was the physical window separated from the two mounts it is secured to with adhesive at the bottom. I ignored the problem for a few weeks, the window would drop when closing, until the window cracked at the mounts.

Why the adhesive failed........ I think when I removed the tint to pass inspection (car had to be 100 percent factory to pass reconstruction inspection so I could title it). I used a lot of cleaner to get tint residue off, I think it ran down to the mounts and loosened the adhesives.

Attached are pictures of the mounts and where the glass fractured, and slowly cracked across the entire glass (not view-able in the pictures).

Attachments

2000 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, 2005 E320 CDI, 2006 S500 4Matic, and 2006 S350
The last response on this thread is three years old. However, since MikeKerr remains active on the forums, let's see if he answers, otherwise we'll lock it as a necrothread.

Reactions: Dave2302
1 - 11 of 11 Posts