Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided it's time to once again clean the fender wells, but this time I went all-out and spent almost the whole day cleaning both the fender wells and all wheels, including the original factory spare.

Step 1 would be to remove the wheel. Don't forget about safety and apply wheel chocks the other wheels on the ground. Jack it up properly and apply the parking brake.

Step 2 is to spray some Simple Green to the fender well, and let it sit for a few mins. Using a wheel brush, scrub the fender well and let the bristles get into the tiny pockets of undercoating.

Step 3 is to rinse with water (pressurized is better) or wipe down with a damp towel.

Step 4 (optional) is to take pics :)

You can go crazy on the back side of the wheels. These are the 15" Centra bundts, which were restored. The back side of these do not shine like the factory spare wheel (maybe an unrestored version does), so you can go crazy on cleaning this part.

Be careful when cleaning the wheel face, you do not want to be too aggressive. :)

·
Registered
'82 300td (sold)
304 Posts
Did you remove the plastic wheel well liners and clean out accumulated crud from the fender wells and rocker panels? I try to do that at least every other year.

The car looks very clean, BTW.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Unfortunately, that's the part I missed. The fender wells were so dirty, I decided to clean the surface first, then to do a second round at a later date with removal of the front fender liners.

Guess I didn't go all out :D

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Sheesh that thing is clean... Great job. I really need to do a deep clean on my car. It looks amazing for 28 years old, has less underbody rust than my 2007 saturn, but you can tell nobody has really got in there and done a proper cleaning in at least the past several years.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
On my way to work, I found myself driving waaaaay slower around puddles! :D Luckily I left early so there are not much in a rush to get to work (or school).

I decided to make this an annual or biannual task, thanks Mr. Graybeard :) It didn't help to be living in an apartment the years before, so I didn't have the ability to get the fender wells this clean (limited DIYing allowed, if at all, in apartments).

But this also made me realize, I want to get an extra Centra 15" Bundt wheel for my spare. Does anybody have one lying around? Kicking myself for not getting a member's offer for the same Centra Bundt wheel, my priorities back then forced me to decide otherwise.

I posted a F/S thread for more info:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale-wanted-trade-giveaway/1671304-wtb-one-1-centra-15-bundt.html

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good eye, yes it's a factory skid plate ordered from Germany via my local dealer.

There's very few left remaining from what I've heard.

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts

·
Registered
1979 280CE 1973 350SL AMG
185 Posts
It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who does this sort of thing.

I did the rears about two years ago and they're still clean. Never did get around to doing the front

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
I just did mine 2 weeks ago and it really does make a huge difference. Patrick, I really like that skid plate! About how far back does it extend?

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
I'll put some up after I go in for round two (this time with the wheels off and a better scrub brush) after I get my new shocks. Looking at it now I definitely missed some spots :eek: I think I'll mosey on over to the dealer tomorrow and see how much they want for one of those skid plates if they still have access to them.

·
Registered
Brown 83 300SD I have a few other projects before I get to her!
1,845 Posts
Hi Patrick,

What's your procedure for restoring those wheels to factory fresh? They look great.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Patrick,

What's your procedure for restoring those wheels to factory fresh? They look great.

Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comment. I had the 15" Centra Bundts restored professionally at a wheel shop in LA. The shop is called Tru Wheel in North Hollywood. Many W126 owners have gone there to have their wheels done as well. I sent the wheels in 2008 or 2009 IIRC. So far it's only been just regular Simple Green and general upkeep of the wheels and tires.

On the other hand, the factory spare tire is just preserved - that's how it looked like when it was new, and has never been restored.

·
Registered
Brown 83 300SD I have a few other projects before I get to her!
1,845 Posts
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comment. I had the 15" Centra Bundts restored professionally at a wheel shop in LA. The shop is called Tru Wheel in North Hollywood. Many W126 owners have gone there to have their wheels done as well. I sent the wheels in 2008 or 2009 IIRC. So far it's only been just regular Simple Green and general upkeep of the wheels and tires.

On the other hand, the factory spare tire is just preserved - that's how it looked like when it was new, and has never been restored.
The best part of living in Cal. So easy on the vehicles. I really thought at some point of my life I'd be living out there as well. Now the house is being rebuilt so that won't happen. Getting radiant heat in my garage floors, I hope that will make the winters more tolerable. Last winter was quite mild, so maybe with the global warming, that will be a trend, we'll see on that one.

Keep her clean,
Dave

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The best part of living in Cal. So easy on the vehicles. I really thought at some point of my life I'd be living out there as well. Now the house is being rebuilt so that won't happen. Getting radiant heat in my garage floors, I hope that will make the winters more tolerable. Last winter was quite mild, so maybe with the global warming, that will be a trend, we'll see on that one.

Keep her clean,
Dave
Thanks Dave!

Please send some colder weather from over there. It's been scorching hot here lately. I just can't wait for the colder weather to settle in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts