Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300SL
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (two weeks ago) purchased a 1991 300SL. Right now I'm at a hotel in northern Wisconsin and my soft top only goes half way up. Locks the front down but the rest of the roof doesn’t move. I found this site and have been "surfing" it trying to find an answer, but have not succeeded. I tried the window reset, tried redoing on/off, but no avail.

Sorry if this is redundant...and "first timer" stuff, but my wife and I are freezing our butts off!!!

Thank you all for advise

Dale and Kris

·
Registered
2000SL 500 Designo Edition
93 Posts
just use the tool on your kit and manually put it down ,,

Also check the latches and see if they are in the proper pos.

I hope this helps , Polpower

·
Registered
1991 300SL
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Polpower,

It's dark now and I will try that in the morning. I'm hoping that there is a “done deal” fix. Funny thing is it worked fine for the 5-6 times we used it this past week. Any suggestions on where to look to remedy the issue? I have been reading more on the forum, and I read it could be low on oil/hydraulic fluid in “some” reservoir. Where is that located and what type of fluid would go in there?

You guys/girls are great....thanks to all

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,948 Posts
The pump and reservoir is in the trunk. Just remove the spare wheel/tire and you will see a plastic cover underneath, the pump is in there. Use only MB hydraulic fluid or you risk ruining you entire system.

·
Registered
1991 300SL
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pump and reservoir is in the trunk. Just remove the spare wheel/tire and you will see a plastic cover underneath, the pump is in there. Use only MB hydraulic fluid or you risk ruining you entire system.
I'll check that that out in the moring....right now the wify is in the shower, and I'm saying good night. (Wahoo)

I like this website...the people here are awesome.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1991 300SL
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way??? Could that be the issue?

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
By the way??? Could that be the issue?
The owner's manual shows how to manually raise the soft top with the special tool that comes with the car. But it will not latch the rear part down, just the front (so that it wouldn't fly up when you drive). So even if your hydraulic is not working, you should be able to put the top up by hand and go home.
Good luck !

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,560 Posts
Ehehe
Wahoo.
Don't let it get to cold, things don't work that well when cold.

Warning.

Up on trying you may lose some inches. ;)

I don't now why my mind wonders at times. :)
I have no idea why some of my emails double up, either.

The top can be locked with that special tool see owners manual.
The back locks are in the trunk behind some plastic covers.
The others are next to the roll bar.
Unlocking it is an other story.
Check the fluid first.

Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
'97 SL500 & '01 ML320
286 Posts
The owner's manual shows how to manually raise the soft top with the special tool that comes with the car. But it will not latch the rear part down, just the front (so that it wouldn't fly up when you drive). So even if your hydraulic is not working, you should be able to put the top up by hand and go home.
Good luck !
Contrary to the owners manual one can lock the back down but it's not a 5 minute job (but is very easy to do one one knows the knack - takes maybe 1 hour and involves a flat head screw driver and some trucnk trim removal).

For photos / step-by-step guide see following post http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r12...nually-98-models-post2859071.html#post2859071

Also, worth searching the soft top ultimate thread in the sticky section. Some great info there.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
300SL-24 1992 White;BMW X3-3.0 E83 2005 Blue;190E-2.6 1992(sold); BMW 316-1.8 E30 1983(sold)
227 Posts
Hi dakrri,
another thinking:
Probably due to the limit switch's problem.
Try to manully push the back part of soft top to have the latches entered the holes, and see.
Good luck!

morris

·
Registered
1991 300SL
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got home this morning with the top down. Thank God for heated seats. I have some appointments today and then later I will try and fix the roof. I could not get the back to “lock down” manually. The red levers in the cars trunk would not lock and I did not want to force them.

What kind of oil can I use if the reservoir is low? I can’t find that in the owners manual.

Thanks

Dale

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I recently (two weeks ago) purchased a 1991 300SL. Right now I'm at a hotel in northern Wisconsin and my soft top only goes half way up. Locks the front down but the rest of the roof doesn’t move. I found this site and have been "surfing" it trying to find an answer, but have not succeeded. I tried the window reset, tried redoing on/off, but no avail.
Dale, welcome to the R129 Forum. When you have a chance please read the threads at the bottom of http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r12...ombined-topics-before-posting-new-thread.html

Please read 1995 500SL on down at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1324795-r129-soft-top-controller-ultimate-thread.html

·
Registered
1991 300SL
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Lynn and RKH, that is very useful information/threads. I'll read through them tonight.

RKH...The closest MB dealer is 60 miles away. Is there a regular auto parts store type of fluid I could use.

Thanks again

Dale

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Thanks Lynn and RKH, that is very useful information/threads. I'll read through them tonight.

RKH...The closest MB dealer is 60 miles away. Is there a regular auto parts store type of fluid I could use.

Thanks again

Dale
First check if you are low on fluid. If yes, then you have a leak somewhere and should have that fixed.
You can mail order it. Follow the link provided by Lynn or search this forum for mail order OEM parts. The MB fluid is not cheap but using cheap stuff from Auto-parts stores mighty ruin the seals in the hydraulic system and that's $$$.

·
Registered
1991 300SL
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I fixed it!!!!!

When I got home today I looked at the hydraulic fluid reservoir and it was full. So I razed the soft top straight up/down and BINGO there it was. The front rubber gasket that seals the soft top to the top of the window had loosened itself just a little (6-8 inches) and was not letting the front lock itself down correctly.

The rubber gasket has an edge that fits over a rigged piece of plastic almost the entire width of the top. Thanks to epoxy glue, the rubber seal will never come off that piece of plastic again. Also, the clips that hold that piece of plastic in place were also lose. Glued those two son-of-a-guns too.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Dale

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts

Dale, I don't think it's your hydraulic fluid level. But if you need to replace some it would be a good time to do total flush and renew . The system contains 1.25 liters, so buy two liters of Febi-Bilstein p/n 0009899103 from AutohausAZ.com.

I believe it has something to do with the electronics of the system. When you try to close your top are both windows completely down? If not they need to be in order to activate the limit switches. You may have to diagnose your system and this is not something that is done in the field unless you are already very familiar with the total system. Please read http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1266535-diagnostics-sl-pre-94-a.html#post1925941

Please read http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r12...oft-top-hydraulic-system-ultimate-thread.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts