Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you're considering purchasing as your next car?

I'm not in the market, and I won't be for a very long time, but I like to think about this sort of thing..

If I were to stay in a Mercedes, it'll be a 98-99 S500. I absolutely adore my S320, except I wish at times that it had more power. An increase of 87hp and 115 lb/ft of torque would cure this. :D An S600 would do this even better, but I'd rather not deal with the V-12's maintenance/repair costs and hassles. Otherwise a W220 S55 AMG would be nice too, especially in supercharged form, but that's too much money now, and I still prefer the 140 to the 220.

Otherwise, if I decide for whatever reason to go back to domestic vehicles, I'd probably get an '02-03 Cadillac Seville STS. But when compared to Merc's reliability records, the Cad doesn't come up close.

I'm really a big fan of these sort of cars...the big executive class RWD luxury sedans, so If I didn't (or couldn't) find a nice S500 W140 or W221 S55, I'd probably go for a late model LS400 or perhaps even a first gen S8 or A8L, but I'm not too confident in Audi's reliability records.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
If I did decide to ditch our W140 for another big sedan, I'd take a long look at a W12 Phaeton. No kidding. I went around and sat in all the flagship sedans at the local car show a few years ago, and I was really struck by the interior design. I liked it more than any other beast I sat in. The Audi A8 was second. And, I figure they will be dropping like a rock in price since they were kind of a red-headed stepchild of a car. A little bit of blacking out of the gigantic VW on the grille, and some dental floss on the trunk emblem and you're all set. :)

Brett

·
Registered
514 Posts
No way i would want to part with my beloved w140 ,i drive 400 miles a day at work ,and on average see 2 w140's a day (counted 12 on the day before Christmas) ,so when i see w140 ,it just brightens my day :),it stands out in the herd of modern cars,cars that look alike it feels so solid on the road .....it's like switching from your favorite beer and going for something new and then ...huge disappointment...
i don't even want to part with my 1984 300sd i like it even more then w140
By the way did you guys notice how many cars lately driving at night with no lights ,they (Toyota etc...) copied exterior design but couldn't put simple photo resistor into the light circuit to switch lights on ,when its dark....DOT specs a?
i see 3 cars at least every day ,its either cluster on and headlights ..no rear lights or , just a cluster :mad::mad::mad::mad: same story with WIPERS ON HEADLIGHTS ON !!!! there's even sign like that in some states.
:(

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
I think mine will either be a newer W140 perhaps the 420 or 500 or a BMW E38 740iL. As far as newer cars I like the BMW7 from 2002 to current, I DO NOT like the W220. I'd consider Lexus But before that I'd look at Jag.

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I probably will always have at least one W140 but my next car will be one of the following:

2005 - 2008 Range Rover Sport
1998 - 2001 Mercedes SL600
1997 - 2004 Jaguar XK8/XKR
1999 - 2000 Lexus LS400

It will all depend on what is the best deal when I'm ready to purchase.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I most likely would never sell my 600.. i would sell the 500 since its a 95 and starting to show a few problems but that new CL65 with 784 foot pounds of torgue is just so lustful...that would prob be my next car once that 185k price tag drops to maybe 75k

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I don't know. I have an entry level '89 190e 2.6 which has given me great joy, and I figure it is one half of an S500 or S600 without all the frills and maintenance costs, but still I would like to own one of these, but I am thinking that the difference between say an S500 and an S420 is minimal. So I am looking around for one of these big sedans from the mid or late '90's. Give me some advice: should I go for the S420, S500, S550 or S600 keeping in mind maintenance costs and reliability?

·
Registered
703 Posts
well i can tell you what my dad did haha. he gave the w140 to my brother and i and moved on to a 4 year lease on a 2005 E500 4MATIC.

the lease ends next week and he's already set up the lease for a 2008 Audi A6 3.2 fully loaded.

·
Registered
553 Posts
well i can tell you what my dad did haha. he gave the w140 to my brother and i and moved on to a 4 year lease on a 2005 E500 4MATIC.

the lease ends next week and he's already set up the lease for a 2008 Audi A6 3.2 fully loaded.
Hey Mike. Your dad needs to do what my mom did..get a new A8L. Now THATS a car!!!

She loves it. Misses her LS430, but realizes the A8L is more of a car.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hey Mike. Your dad needs to do what my mom did..get a new A8L. Now THATS a car!!!

She loves it. Misses her LS430, but realizes the A8L is more of a car.
ugh if only you could have heard the number of times i've tried to convince him. he refuses to spend the extra money and says "if you, your brother, and your sister don't want to go to college, id be glad to drive a quattroporte. otherwise, i'm sticking to a moderate luxury car that gives me everything I need."

it's hopeless lol

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I don't know. I have an entry level '89 190e 2.6 which has given me great joy, and I figure it is one half of an S500 or S600 without all the frills and maintenance costs, but still I would like to own one of these, but I am thinking that the difference between say an S500 and an S420 is minimal. So I am looking around for one of these big sedans from the mid or late '90's. Give me some advice: should I go for the S420, S500, S550 or S600 keeping in mind maintenance costs and reliability?
its cheaper for me to drive my 600 over my 500 so ignore people telling you that the 600 is a higher maintenance car. They are all pretty much the same in maintenence. the gas milage in my 600 is about the same (maybe 1 mpg less) unless i put my foot into it. My s500 is about 16mpg in the city and 19 on the hwy. My 600 is 14 in the city and 20 on the highway. I have only had to do oil changes to the 6 but the 5 is another issue since its a 95. So whether you want the 420 500 or 600. Plan on the running maintenence to be the same. Its the other nick nack problems all the 140s have that you need to save up for :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Thanks VEEVEE for the advice. Sometimes I think that just shopping around, asking advice, and looking around for the correct Benz of my dreams is almost as good as owning one. I'm an old man who would like to go to his grave owning the biggest f***ing
W140 made. It has to be black on black with tinted windows; must have a documented history, excellent tires, newer brakes and rotors and a solid exhaust system. I don't care about the mileage--the more the better.
Thanks!
Earl Veeder

·
Registered
681 Posts
If I did decide to ditch our W140 for another big sedan, I'd take a long look at a W12 Phaeton. No kidding. I went around and sat in all the flagship sedans at the local car show a few years ago, and I was really struck by the interior design. I liked it more than any other beast I sat in. The Audi A8 was second. And, I figure they will be dropping like a rock in price since they were kind of a red-headed stepchild of a car. A little bit of blacking out of the gigantic VW on the grille, and some dental floss on the trunk emblem and you're all set. :)

Brett

My thoughts exactly. Can't remember when but saw a phaeton a while ago on the road...was intrigued since i'm a big audi A8 fan style wise, and i have to say the interior to me was better than anything i've seen in most new cars. I would also have to shave the model off the back as well and black out the VW out of pride lol. Or maybe even throw on a audi logo for fun and see who notices :D Regardless its a beauty outside and esspecially inside.

·
Registered
895 Posts
drcharlesatlas: U want a full history 140.. Eith no regards to milage.. That could be difficult, as a car with really high milage often have less documentation for the latest years.. But hey, it doesn't mean they don't exist..

More guys: You say that the A8 og A8L are a beautiful car.. I agree, beautliful AND really a good car to drive also.. BUT, ALL Audi A8's have the same problem as I have heard.. Weak suspension arms and bushes.. They wear out faster than any other car I've heard of.. (That applys to most Audi's really, but the heavier the car, the more problems you get with bushings and suspension..)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Diesel V10 Phaeton or W12. Mmmm, don't know, but not a big car with a small engine. What is the point? Then again, there's something about a Bentley....

Put a Kia badge on the VW and hopefully a warranty to match!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts